Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macchu Pichu and altitude sickness. Is it bad?

Options
  • 24-09-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

Am tempted to go, always wanted to, but am a bit concerned about the effect of the high altitudes. No chance will I chew coca leaves either!

Just wondered if anyone who has been lucky enough to go there can give some feedback on this aspect of visiting MP?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I found it ok, its not that high there (Cusco is higher). Just take it easy the first couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I haven't been to Machu Puchu, but googling the altitude, it's just under 8000ft, which shouldn't cause too many problems. We were in the Rocky Mountains a couple of years back at 9500ft and we just found we got tired more easily and a little out of breath. We were also very thirsty for some reason. Just drink lots of water and don't exert yourself for the first couple of days.

I read that a low dose of aspirin for the few days prior helps. I did take that, not sure if it helped or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks everyone. Looks like you have to go via Cusco anyway so that's high!

Still a bit nervy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

It'll be grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

You've no way of knowing how it'll effect you until you go, it effects everyone differently.
    I've been & all I can suggest is drink plenty of water. Didn't find cusco bad was in La Paz as well and that's much higher. Don't expect to be running up and down mountains for the first day or two after that just enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I had mild altitude sickness in Bogotá. I was coming from a place less than two meters above sea level on average, though. You get used to it after a while, but not for several days at least. Aspirin? LOL. No, the only real thing you can do is to practice deep breathing. The medications usually prescribed for preventing altitude sickness are things you probably wouldn't consider taking under any other circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

As already said altitude sickness affects everyone differently. By the time we got to Cusco we were acclimatised as we had being at altitude for a few months. However on our Inca Trail trek an American passed out from it. I would advise spending a couple of days chilling on arrival to acclimatise and not rush into doing stuff and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

As the others have said give yourself a few days at altitude before you do the inca trail. It is different and you may get tired more quickly than usual. I found I got headaches from it. We checked into our lovely hostel in cusco and were given tea to drink as a welcome drink. It was coca tea. It's not all that nice but it definitely kept the altitude sickness at bay for me. You can also get coca sweets which might help too. When it did affect me it was like having a mild hangover. Not the nicest of feelings. It's an amazing part of the world. Just book the trip you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Machu Pichu itself is grand. No altitude problems there. I was also in Cusco and did find that a bit tough. No sickness but I did feel out of breath if walking any sort of distance. It's worth it though. Michu Pichu is stunning.

I didn't do the inca trail by the way. Went to Machu Pichu by train and then got a bus up from the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

trashcan wrote: »
    Machu Pichu itself is grand. No altitude problems there. I was also in Cusco and did find that a bit tough. No sickness but I did feel out of breath if walking any sort of distance. It's worth it though. Michu Pichu is stunning.

I didn't do the inca trail by the way. Went to Machu Pichu by train and then got a bus up from the village.

Seems that in order to get to Machu Picchu you have to get to Cusco first and that is altitude sickness territory :eek:

Still, many thousands of people do it every year so it can't be that bad can it?

I just get the jitters and wonder if I will be THE ONE who passes out or gets sick or whatever!

The advice to acclimatise is good. How many days in Cusco would anyone think for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Seems that in order to get to Machu Picchu you have to get to Cusco first and that is altitude sickness territory :eek:

Still, many thousands of people do it every year so it can't be that bad can it?

I just get the jitters and wonder if I will be THE ONE who passes out or gets sick or whatever!

The advice to acclimatise is good. How many days in Cusco would anyone think for this?

It really depends on you. Oddly, people who are really in shape reportedly take longer (maybe because their bodies are more used to being highly oxygenated as a matter of course). But it is absolutely an individual thing. I was horrendously out of shape, since I was a deskbound IT professional, there six months after major surgery, and got a mildly sprained ankle the first day, but I am also a chorister with a large lung capacity and so long as I remembered to breathe properly from the "stomach" I was all right. Five days is the average, they tell me, but some people are OK right away and some take a week.

Coca is a thing. I wouldn't know from it. My employer did random drug testing. Verb. sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I did the Inca Trail many years ago.
    Got into cusco and straight into the trail the next day.
    I got a thumping headache on its highest part ,that could only be relieved by sitting down,then when stood headache back again.
    The following day when descended lower headache gone.
    Chewing coca leaves didn't help.
    So best to spend a few days in Cusco to acclimatise

Some people use Diamox to try and prevent altitude sickness.
    I'm no doctor so as with all medicines seek qualifed medical advice first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No chance will I chew coca leaves either!
    /QUOTE]
    Why not?
    They are pretty unpleasant taasting, but so's altitude sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As already mentioned stay a few days in Cuzco first, its a lovely town anyway with plenty to keep you busy. I found the 4 day walk to MP grand but you definitely did have to take it slower than an ordinary walk as you got out of breath quickly. I found that I had a headache and pins + needles in my fingers & toes for the first day or two in Cuzco but these had cleared before we started the Inca trail....do it OP you wont regret it !!

Advertisement