Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a credit rating with a bank in another country

Options
  • 24-09-2016 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible for me to build a credit rating with an Italian bank when I am still living in Ireland?

I am planning to emigrate to Italy in 2 years permanently so I will be looking at getting a mortgage etc down the road. Rather than having to start from scratch when my boots hit the ground Id like to get the ball rolling before I move.

I have no real experience in banking but I know to open an acc here we need PoA etc... since Im not resident yet that might be a hurdle.

Thanks,

James

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do they even have a credit rating system in Italy???

You are moving from a common law country to a civil law country, so don't expect things to work the same. Normally all that is required is a certificate from the debtors court indicating that no one has filed a case against you. Which could be an issue if you have not been in the country long enough.

That plus the bank will at a minimum require that you meet the legal affordability rules such as:
    - max mortgage is 60%
    - max monthly payments 30% of net monthly income
    - mortgage cleared by 75 no so on.
    And so on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nuadu_of_kildar

Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying I hadnt considered that the legal and banking system might be radically different from our own. Its like the 100 meter hurdles.

Advertisement