Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting ducks

• 24-09-2016 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

My fella was wondering if you enter a river on a wee boat from an access point, is it legal to go down the river and shoot duck on the water, from the water? Obviously he's legal as far as gun goes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

you have a keeper there

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marleypoint

My fella was wondering if you enter a river on a wee boat from an access point, is it legal to go down the river and shoot duck on the water, from the water? Obviously he's legal as far as gun goes...

As far as I'm aware it's perfectly legal to do just that, provided he is not letting shots off to close to houses that might be on the banks, or even when people might be walking on the banks.

I think the only sticky point here is if he shoots the duck and it falls on a farmers land that he has no permission to be on and goes and retrieves it. I think then he might be breaking a law by being on lands without permission

grassroot1 wrote: »
    you have a keeper there

He's more of a poacher than a keeper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 FaithNoMore

He's more of a poacher than a keeper ;)
    As I was told by an old boy once " You're only a poacher if you're caught'

As far as I'm aware it's perfectly legal to do just that, provided he is not letting shots off to close to houses that might be on the banks, or even when people might be walking on the banks.

I think the only sticky point here is if he shoots the duck and it falls on a farmers land that he has no permission to be on and goes and retrieves it. I think then he might be breaking a law by being on lands without permission
    Thanks. Suppose if it lands near the bank he could use the fishing rod to retrieve lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Section 36 of the 1976 Wildlife Act as amended by section 44 of the 2000 Wildlife Amendment act says:
    (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act apart from this section, a person shall not hunt or disturb for the purpose of hunting—

(a) any protected wild animal by means of a mechanically-propelled vehicle, vessel or aircraft, whether it is being so propelled or is stationary,

(b) any protected wild bird by means of such a vehicle, vessel or aircraft while it is being so propelled.
    The relevant part for your situation is (B) as (A) pertains to deer, etc. What this means is you cannot use a vessel (boat) if it has a motor and is moving (whether that movement is electrical, mechanical or even partially manual).

If you get in a boat, row out to a point, set anchor, and wait then you should be fine. However on a river this will not be the case as you'll be constantly moving.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Section 36 of the 1976 Wildlife Act as amended by section 44 of the 2000 Wildlife Amendment act says:

The relevant part for your situation is (B) as (A) pertains to deer, etc. What this means is you cannot use a vessel (boat) if it has a motor and is moving (whether that movement is electrical, mechanical or even partially manual).

If you get in a boat, row out to a point, set anchor, and wait then you should be fine. However on a river this will not be the case as you'll be constantly moving.
    Ok, thanks, I'll pass on all the information...

Advertisement