Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading teacher

• 24-09-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. I'm looking for someone to teach (on a one to one basis) a 6 year old to read. I live near Sligo town. Any suggestions of anyone who does this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

You can't beat bedtime reading I think
    No need for extra help unless there's a specific difficulty you haven't mentioned. At 6 they're only learning at school. What class u still he in?

Mine loved Dr. Suess at that age and whatever they're into - mine craft, marvel etc. Get some books annuals or comics ando sit-down for 30 mins every day with him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is the child being home schooled? Is there a specific difficulty? 6 is a bit young to be looking for grinds. Children can only learn to read when they are ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Monteresa123

Thanks guys. Yes he has some difficulty. Nothing too major TG. No, he is not home schooled. We love books in our house and we read plenty of stories but he is getting a bit frustrated that he cant read some himself. (age appreciate level obviously) Just though he would enjoy and benefit from a few reading lessons other than from his mum or dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Try this website, it's very good

http://www.helpmykidlearn.ie/activities/5-7

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I presume he is in senior infants? In what way does he struggle - is it in word reading or phonics or reading from books?
    What is he reading at the moment?
    Does the school use Jolly Phonics, have you tried shared reading- that's great for that age group?

(Sorry for all the qs, I'm a primary learning support teacher and am trying to get a better picture of him)

• Advertisement
Advertisement