Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphone Prices

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Senna wrote: »
    I always laugh at people saying "I got it free as an upgrade".
    You are on a €60 a month contract for 2 years, you can get the same usage for €12-€15 on a sim only plan, your free upgrade is costing you well over a grand. Which is fine if you understand that, but I swear some people don't.

Actually when you split out what you're paying for, it makes very little odds. Over the period my s7 would have cost me approx 580.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Madness. Throwing money away on something that rapidly depreciates in value, needs to be charged up almost daily and will be obsolete in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Madness. Throwing money away on something that rapidly depreciates in value, needs to be charged up almost daily and will be obsolete in a year or two.

I paid 600 for my iPhone 6 two years ago.
    Bought it stiil sealed in the box of a guy who got it as an upgrade.

Used iPhone 6's are going for 400 now.
    Can't see how you call that madness or throwing away money on something that me personally uses it as a way more than just a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Depp wrote: »
    At the minute I'm using a 5 year old iphone 4s and the latest update (iOS 10) is the first software update it hasnt been compatible with, when you show me a 5 year old one plus that can run the lates software update (or even still works) come back to me.

In this household we have a Note, Note2 and Note3 all running Android 6.0.1.

The only reason they aren't running Android 7 is that there are no stables releases just yet but that's being worked upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

blade1 wrote: »
    I paid 600 for my iPhone 6 two years ago.
    Bought it stiil sealed in the box of a guy who got it as an upgrade.

Used iPhone 6's are going for 400 now.
    Can't see how you call that madness or throwing away money on something that me personally uses it as a way more than just a phone.

Well if you get a lot of use from it beyond the basic calls, texts and internet, that's different. I don't have one and I don't know what the most popular apps are but I do know people who ONLY use the novelty apps..once or twice. It is a vanity thing/status symbol just like wearing jumpers with a brand name on the front, for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

People that state you pay a premium for just the name and logo have no experience of how products are conceived, researched, developed, tested and finally manufactured.

The premium flagship phones have a lot more engineering design effort gone into them than your budget phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

This is one of the few subjects these days where tightwads feel it's ok to wave their stinge flag high and proud.
    Your sub200 quid android that will be lagging to fk after a year,has a battery that goes to **** thanks to google play services mystery drain ,is a security nightmare and takes photos that look like Vaseline is smeared on the lense is not "just as good as the iPhone"
    Yes the iPhone is overpriced, that doesn't mean the cheaper androids are good value. There are big compromises,not least handing over all your personal data to google,who are far less trustworthy in terms of how they use that data then apple.
    Btw yes I own an apple, but every phone I used before that was android,everything from high end to cheap &150€ phone so not an apple fanboy by any stretch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    People that state you pay a premium for just the name and logo have no experience of how products are conceived, researched, developed, tested and finally manufactured.

The premium flagship phones have a lot more engineering design effort gone into them than your budget phones.

And people who say otherwise should have a little look at the constant litigation between the major players and the reasons why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I see flagship phones as the early adopters who pay a premium to road test the tech that will be available for a fraction of the price a couple of years later.

Spending a lot of money on a phone that is probably going to get broken doesn't appeal to me. About 20% of phones currently in use have cracked screens (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/motorola-shattershield-cracked-smartphone-screen-survey/) and this doesn't include the number of people who either pay to have the phone repaired, or just buy a new phone when it inevitably happens to them

In the next year or two, there will be a broader availability of shatterproof and waterproof phones, and when this happens, I'll be much happier to spend a bit more money on a good phone that is likely to last a decent amount of time. (unless I lose it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really funny how touchy people get about iPhone android etc. It's a phone and a personal decision at the end of the day. Lol.

Really funny how touchy people get about iPhone android etc. It's a phone and a personal decision at the end of the day. Lol.

Exactly. Would I spend over €100 on a night on the booze, a meal, a pair of shoes, an item of clothing? No way!

Would I spend €600-700 on the latest piece of mobile tech, and feel like I'm getting value for money? You betcha, and that's my choice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Been an iPhone user for 8 years now and I could count on one hand the issues I have had with them, they are built to last and are extremely reliable, android is buggy as **** and the phones do not last anywhere near as long as Apple, that's not my opinion that's a fact.

Anyway each to their own and all that.

Sono wrote: »
    Been an iPhone user for 8 years now and I could count on one hand the issues I have had with them, they are built to last and are extremely reliable, android is buggy as **** and the phones do not last anywhere near as long as Apple, that's not my opinion that's a fact.

Just because you say your opinion is a fact doesn't actually mean it is a fact....you understand that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Thanks for the lol

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just because you say your opinion is a fact doesn't actually mean it is a fact....you understand that, right?

Ok precious, an iPhone 4 still works fine and is still a usable phone, show me an android phone that works from back at the same time as the iPhone 4 was around, the android phones don't last.

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    Thanks for the lol

👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Apple are the only ones making iphones, whereas thousands of manufactuers make, sell and market android based phones. You can't compare the durability of a generic, no-brand Chinese €50 unit with an €800 iphone.

A more accurate comparison would be something like asking 'Is the OnePlus or Samsung Galaxy range generally as reliable as an iphone?' The answer would be yes.

A huge portion of the cost of an iphone is the brand. That is also a fact. That is the vision that was always intended, to create a strong cultural brand image. And they've been hugely successful.

When you buy a designer handbag for €500, how much of that is the actual material and workmanship and how much is the brand? Apple are no different - most companies aren't either to be fair, but Apple have carved out a particular niche the envy of every other tech company.

Ok precious, an iPhone 4 still works fine and is still a usable phone, show me an android phone that works from back at the same time as the iPhone 4 was around, the android phones don't last.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but surely with a ridiculous statement like that you're deliberating trolling?

There are any amount of android phones from the 4 era that work perfectly fine - not great by modern standards, but they've fared no worse than the iPhone 4 and in some cases, have fared far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but surely with a ridiculous statement like that you're deliberating trolling?

There are any amount of android phones from the 4 era that work perfectly fine - not great by modern standards, but they've fared no worse than the iPhone 4 and in some cases, have fared far better.

Not trolling, shoe me an android phone from 08/09 that stands up to the iPhone 4?

• Advertisement

Not trolling, shoe me an android phone from 08/09 that stands up to the iPhone 4?

I'll do that when you show me an iPhone 4 that came out in 08/09

That's when the very first iphones came out. :confused:

Patww79 wrote: »

Not every one has that choice!

Apologies, 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

At work everybody has expensive phones, I have a Vodafone smart ultra 6 and mines every bit as good as any of them , in some cases better. The camera on this is great .
    My phone was 160 euro !!!!! Brilliant phone and a bargain at that price

Patww79 wrote: »

What if u don't want the cheap one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Let's face it folks, if there was a big fight between android and apple users the apple users would just cry and run away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Basil3 wrote: »
    Exactly. Would I spend over €100 on a night on the booze, a meal, a pair of shoes, an item of clothing? No way!

Would I spend €600-700 on the latest piece of mobile tech, and feel like I'm getting value for money? You betcha, and that's my choice. :)

Yeah....but you're a kiwi....your views are fecked up anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

sugarman wrote: »
    Blame idiots that buy them.

The latest OnePlus pisses allover the latest flagship iPhones, Samsung, LG etc at less than half the price.

People falling for big brand names.

this

the iPhone is the single most overrated product of all time , although it does appear that people are finally copping onto this, there was none of the hype for the iPhone 7 that there was for the others, i mean why would you pay close to a grand for a phone which pales in comparison to the oneplus 3 for example.

The tide is turning and people are finally waking up to the fact that brands like oneplus which offer smartphones as good if not better than the bigger brands for less than half the price is the way to go.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    this

the iPhone is the single most overrated product of all time , although it does appear that people are finally copping onto this, there was none of the hype for the iPhone 7 that there was for the others, i mean why would you pay close to a grand for a phone which pales in comparison to the oneplus 3 for example.

The tide is turning and people are finally waking up to the fact that brands like oneplus which offer smartphones as good if not better than the bigger brands for less than half the price is the way to go.

It doesn't pale in comparison with the one plus 3. The OP3 is a very good phone for the money, and there isn't enough difference to justify such A huge price difference, but it no way pisses on the iPhone, except maybe some specs on paper which doesn't actually translate into real world superiority

absolute rubbish, the android OS previously wasnt anywhere near as good as IOS but now IOS pales in comparison to it.

LaGlisse wrote: »
    It doesn't pale in comparison with the one plus 3. The OP3 is a very good phone for the money, and there isn't enough difference to justify such A huge price difference, but it no way pisses on the iPhone, except maybe some specs on paper which doesn't actually translate into real world superiority

specs wise it absolutely does translate into real world superiority, even the design is better.

absolute rubbish, the android OS previously wasnt anywhere near as good as IOS but now IOS pales in comparison to it.

IOS is far far far superior operating system to android in every way, but android users have managed to convince themselves otherwise.

When was the change that I'm unaware of because the missus used to have an S6 before it was stolen and that was miles behind the OS of the iPhone 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

this

It is highly unlikely that it is over rated and continues to sell tens of millions with each release and maintain top results in consumer polls. I bet you were talking about the tide turning for a few years at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My Dad has 2nd gen Moto G. I got it for him.
    It came sim-free and was €139 in Argos.

It's brilliant; fast and sleek and you don't want for anything with it EXCEPT it doesn't have a flash for the camera, so that sucks when you want to take pics at night, but he doesn't use the camera so it's grand.

A friend of mine bought the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. That was €159 and again, a super phone.

I wouldn't buy a phone any cheaper than those two. I did in the past and they all had something lacking.
    I wouldn't spend more than €200 on a phone, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

this

As usual with these threads people don't get that a brand (in particularly an iPhone) holds value. The two year old iPhone 6 64GB sells on eBay from €300-500. I can sell mine and get a new one at the same cost on contract. And that's the contract I would be getting anyway to max out on data. So the new iPhone is free.

Meanwhile mid range android phones depreciate to zero after a year or so.

• Advertisement

One thing I don't agree with from all of these phone manufacturers is the price, it's getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I returned to college this year.

The subservient devotion to smart phones is the first thing that struck me. Surreal.

Everyone walking around staring fixatedly at a screen. I used to walk around like that because I was paranoid. Now people are doing it because they are MORE connected! Life is strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Thread makes me want a new phone.

IOS is far far far superior operating system to android in every way, but android users have managed to convince themselves otherwise.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I think it's quite the opposite. Android is far more open and allows the user to do so much more with it and it transfers well across all devices. Apple, not so much.

Most people won't really care all that much so at that point it boils down to which UI you prefer but to say iOS is a 'far far far' superior OS is a bit ridiculous.

iOS is more optimised, less functional. Each iteration of iOS adds a few new (old) Android features, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have both iPhone 6 (previously had a 4) and Oneplus One (previously had a Nexus 5) so I've lots of experience of both, Android has passed IOS by a long way.

• Advertisement

I can't believe people are still buying new iPhones. Apple go out of their way to mess with their customers (e.g. bricking your phone with error 53), and prevent them from repairing fixable hardware issues.

For around €200, you can have something like a Xiaomi redmi pro 3, which is functionally better in many respects, and is the best phone I've ever owned by a mile.

As usual with these threads people don't get that a brand (in particularly an iPhone) holds value. The two year old iPhone 6 64GB sells on eBay from €300-500. I can sell mine and get a new one at the same cost on contract. And that's the contract I would be getting anyway to max out on data. So the new iPhone is free.

Meanwhile mid range android phones depreciate to zero after a year or so.

You don't buy a phone for its resale value. I really have no interest in my phone's resale value, I just care that it will give me 3-4 years of service, which ends up costing about a buck a week. Do you really think your new iPhone is free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

I have both iPhone 6 (previously had a 4) and Oneplus One (previously had a Nexus 5) so I've lots of experience of both, Android has passed IOS by a long way.

Pretty much this (I've used both for some time now). Where previously android pinched features from ios the reverse is noticably true for several years now. Android has evolved into a very stable and user friendly os that is much more innovative than IOS. Wont matter to most people though since generally you like one or the other (or neither)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

For me one of the major things that tipped me towards apple is how they treat your data. With android everything you do is being sent home to google to be used for god knows what purpose in the future. Apple seem to be far more respectful of their customers privacy, I guess they make so much money creaming it off selling their phones they don't need to sell you out to advertisers as much. I fully accept it could just be all for sho but most of the reading into this I've done does indicate it's something apple take more seriously compared to the likes of the Googles and face books of this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

• Advertisement
Advertisement