Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartphone Prices

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Discodog wrote: »
    You must work for Apple. That's exactly what they said. They also said that they carefully vetted their manufactures. They demand the lowest prices to make the biggest profits & its the workers that suffer.

Apple used to be a company with an ethos & ethics. Now they focus purely on profit.

god forbid a business would minimize costs and try to make profit? can you imagine that like? unthinkable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Senna wrote: »
    Still doesn't make it an DSLR or even close

He never said DSLR though, he said none had an optical zoom.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/galaxy-cameras/EK-GC100ZWABTU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t buy a phone that has no sdcard slot, a non removeable battery
    and no audio 3.5 mm port, so that leaves out the iphone .
    It seems for some people apple is like a religion.
    Android is more flexible , it gets better every year ,
    apple music is badly designed ,itunes is a disaster.
    Read reviews, theres very good android phones ,
    since theres dozens of different models ,
    theres a lot of mediocre phones .

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440/3
    iphones have great camera,s .
    i don,t buy a phone to use the camera .

riclad wrote: »
    I don,t buy a phone that has no sdcard slot, a non removeable battery
    and no audio 3.5 mm port, so that leaves out the iphone .
    It seems for some people apple is like a religion.
    Android is more flexible , it gets better every year ,
    apple music is badly designed ,itunes is a disaster.
    Read reviews, theres very good android phones ,
    since theres dozens of different models ,
    theres a lot of mediocre phones .

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440/3
    iphones have great camera,s .
    i don,t buy a phone to use the camera .

going to have to disagree there, apple music is absolutely fantastic and to call iTunes a disaster is a bit silly, they're about as user friendly as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Sono wrote: »
    Been an iPhone user for 8 years now and I could count on one hand the issues I have had with them, they are built to last and are extremely reliable, android is buggy as **** and the phones do not last anywhere near as long as Apple, that's not my opinion that's a fact.

Anyway each to their own and all that.

Complete horse ****. My daughters S2 was still doing the rounds in the house until recently when it got drowned... My S4 which I sold to a neighbour 18 months ago is still flying, neither of them suffered from this so called lag after a year. I'm currently using an S6 which I've had for almost 2 years without a bother. Both iPhones I owned a 4s and a 5s are long since dead, appalling battery life rendering them all but useless. My wife has a 6s which seems to be lasting the distance so far (12 months old)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Some have said that it costs Apple €200 to manufacture the latest iphone.

I'd say that's a absolute lie. It might cost them 50 tops. The other 150 might go on the advertising ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Apple are mining the gold-seam of 'Angry Hipsterism'. We Android users are a pragmatic people and understand that Apple users are slaves to thier chimp-like libidinal urges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

jca wrote: »
    Complete horse ****. My daughters S2 was still doing the rounds in the house until recently when it got drowned... My S4 which I sold to a neighbour 18 months ago is still flying, neither of them suffered from this so called lag after a year. I'm currently using an S6 which I've had for almost 2 years without a bother. Both iPhones I owned a 4s and a 5s are long since dead, appalling battery life rendering them all but useless. My wife has a 6s which seems to be lasting the distance so far (12 months old)

An S2 still running and working perfectly, my idea of running well is being able to handle updates on apps and not crash when attempted to do, would love to have seen that S2 working.

As for the S4 we have one in the house and while it still works I wouldn't say it runs smoothly either, lags and seems to be some virus on it that causes it to crash.

Another good thing about Apple, no viruses hence no lag or crashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Battery is the big one for me.

I have often heard iphone users say "I have had it for two years, I can't be expecting good battery anymore" after their phone dies at 6 o clock

When paying that sort of money you should be able to have all day battery two years later. A lot of phones struggle with the two days later

(Not just an apple thing btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

All I can say is that there are some serious losers writing in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

In the past conflicts arose due to differences in ideology and nationality but In the future wars will be fought between android and iOS users.

But just like the Soviets beat the technological superior Hugo Boss clad nazis the shear mass of numbers will ensure a victory for android and resultant totalitarian state where dissidents will be kept in check by a Google stasi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

learn_more wrote: »
    Some have said that it costs Apple €200 to manufacture the latest iphone.

I'd say that's a absolute lie. It might cost them 50 tops. The other 150 might go on the advertising ;)

The documentary estimated that the cost was between 25 & 40 dollars. Yes it's great business as long as idiots are willing to pay nearly a thousand euro for a phone that isn't four times better than a €250 one.

The main reason to own a new i phone is status. If I see that, someone I do business with, has one he goes down in my estimation not up.

My OnePlus One, which cost just over €300 (but only because I wanted the 64GB one - the 16GB would have cost over €200) still is operating just fine and gets even better with every update that is being pushed out. People paying nearly a grand for what I got for a fraction of the price is absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

another classic :pac:

keep going please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭davo2001

Wrong again.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Malware_for_iOS

An undercover reporter found that Apple pay their workers less than 2 dollars an hour. They are so exhausted that they turns in taking a nap. The total cost including shipping marketing etc is around 200 dollars.

What about the billions spent on R&D.

I always laugh when people come out with well the iPhone only costs 200 dollars to make. That's the break even point on the device, they are a company in the business of maximising profits not breaking even therefore they charge a lot more than the cost of manufacture and parts in order to make profit after all over heads including R&D are taken into account.

People will do anything to convince themselves their 100 or 200 euro Chinese smart phone is equivalent to a flagship phone (apple of android) but they aren't, not even close.

In my household we have an iphone 4, 4s, 5c, 5s and I have an iPhone 6. We have an iPad mini, mini4, ipad 2 and ipad3. We have an Macbook air and I have a macbook pro. Many of the phones are hand me downs from me to my parents and all still working perfectly. The iPads are all perfect and macbooks are just a pleasure to use compared to windows machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Star_Nupa

No, people are paying almost a grand for an iPhone or an S7 edge which are far, far better than a OPO.

Besides, you don't know what people can afford. 800e could be the equivalent to the 300e another person could afford in the scheme of things.

And then there are those who can claim the cost back. :)

On the topic of price...

I've bought no less than 10 HTC flagships over the years, usually on release day....so I don't wait for a price drop. Of the ones I bought outright:

2010: Desire HD: £450 (approx €530)
    2014: M8: £430 (approx €550)
    2015: M9: €680 (seriously overpriced)
    2016: HTC 10: £513 (approx €650)

I guess over time, price has gone up, but nothing too crazy.

When it goes to the next tier, such as Note 7, I think it's worth it because you do get a crazy amount of features - some which are unique to that device. When you add in things such as Heart Rate sensor and free VR that comes with a lot of new Sammy's, you can start to justify the cost.

It's only the top end Apples that seem completely unjustified in their price, imo. Personally, I can happily live with 32gb storage. All my photos are on google photos, and my music is on Play Music. Because of that, I'd never be looking at the larger storage Apple devices anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I bought the Nexus 6p for 550 euro. I pay that much because I want the pure Android experience and latest updates.

They should work out a better system with other brands were the updates can be got at the same time but the Custom UI isn't touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How many updates has IOS had recently due to malware and viruses specifically targetting it?

Ush1 wrote: »
    I bought the Nexus 6p for 550 euro. I pay that much because I want the pure Android experience and latest updates.

They should work out a better system with other brands were the updates can be got at the same time but the Custom UI isn't touched.

That's pretty difficult because the custom UI is essentially part of the framework. The more of their own features a manufacturer makes to core Android features, the more time it will take for them to update for new Android versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's pretty difficult because the custom UI is essentially part of the framework. The more of their own features a manufacturer makes to core Android features, the more time it will take for them to update for new Android versions.

I thought I had read somewhere that they had restructured that in Nougat so that updates may be applied to the core system?

I thought I had read somewhere that they had restructured that in Nougat so that updates may be applied to the core system?

I have no idea. I do know that they've restructured the system partition so an update can be installed alongside the existing installation, then a seamless update occurs through a simple reboot of the phone.

If you look at someone like HTC, they've put a lot of their traditional system apps onto the Play Store, so they can provide updates independently of Android updates. That definitely saves some time, but there's still a lot of work involved in updating their ROM every time a new version of Android comes out. That's why it normally takes a couple of months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I havent bought a smartphone for year (or had to apy a phone bill) , I'd say iphone 2 is the last one i bought myself for a couple of reasons.

- The companies i've worked for give me a free phone, normally iphone/samsung

- My wife works for one of the mobile companies and in her role gets a lot of freebies, so i tend to use these if one takes my fancy

At some point im sure i'll need to buy one, but currently have a HTC m9, it works fine but no issue picking up a VF or huawei branded cheaper android phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ablelocks

In the past conflicts arose due to differences in ideology and nationality but In the future wars will be fought between android and iOS users.

But just like the Soviets beat the technological superior Hugo Boss clad nazis the shear mass of numbers will ensure a victory for android and resultant totalitarian state where dissidents will be kept in check by a Google stasi.

wrong. the cost of victory will so weaken the androids that Microsoft Phone users will take over the world.

all 15 of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depp wrote: »
    going to have to disagree there, apple music is absolutely fantastic and to call iTunes a disaster is a bit silly, they're about as user friendly as possible?

I've never heard anyone say anything good about Itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The most important criterion I had when buying a smartphone was that it would fit in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone say anything good about Itunes

ITunes was the reason I moved from IOS to Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I used to be all about android. However having had 2 phones in a row die after around a year of use, I was really fed up. The second one was a Samsung, it was still under warranty and after a software update apps kept force closing and it started turning itself on and off. Sent it back to Samsung, which was a pain since they had no repair centre in Ireland, 3 weeks later I got it back marked as repaired but it still had the same issues.

I was so frustrated, at the time I couldn't afford another new phone and gave my mam €150 for her old iPhone 4. Honestly I've never looked back. I never go for the top of the line (currently using a refurbished iPhone 5c) but I find iPhones last well and I haven't had the issues I had with android phones of a similar price range.

I do think it all comes down to personal preference, I prefer iPhone but I would personally consider a brand new iPhone 7 too expensive/extravagant for my needs. My next phone will likely be an iPhone SE, it has what I want for an OK price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Is there a decent smart phone these days with a decent recording mic, they take great video and photo pictures but sound quality can be atrocious.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there a decent smart phone these days with a decent recording mic, they take great video and photo pictures but sound quality can be atrocious.

External Mic. Easy peasy 4K shooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This thread was a fun read. People get so animated fighting their corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

This ties in with the thread and a number of opinions that it's brand over anything..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/26/spotify-glastonbury-and-netflix-in-top-ten-coolest-brands-as-con/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

This ties in with the thread and a number of opinions that it's brand over anything..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/26/spotify-glastonbury-and-netflix-in-top-ten-coolest-brands-as-con/

That article has airbnb on the coolest brands list, apart from having a vagina as their logo their not really cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What about the billions spent on R&D.

I always laugh when people come out with well the iPhone only costs 200 dollars to make. That's the break even point on the device, they are a company in the business of maximising profits not breaking even therefore they charge a lot more than the cost of manufacture and parts in order to make profit after all over heads including R&D are taken into account.

People will do anything to convince themselves their 100 or 200 euro Chinese smart phone is equivalent to a flagship phone (apple of android) but they aren't, not even close.

In my household we have an iphone 4, 4s, 5c, 5s and I have an iPhone 6. We have an iPad mini, mini4, ipad 2 and ipad3. We have an Macbook air and I have a macbook pro. Many of the phones are hand me downs from me to my parents and all still working perfectly. The iPads are all perfect and macbooks are just a pleasure to use compared to windows machines.

R&D for what ? What does an iphone do that's so unique ? There isn't any real innovation now because every phone is pretty much the same. I have used top end iphones & €200 & less, Chinese phones. The €300 plus Chinese phones are better than the iphone. The cheaper ones are pretty good too.

I love my nexus 5 & I may well go for another when the time comes. Until you experience it you don't realise how well pure android works. But, by then, I suspect that the Chinese phones will be unbeatable.

It so funny how people are about phones that are made in the same country, by the same workers. It would be different if they were made in Japan or Germany.

You can insult my wife, my kids & even my team but never insult my phone :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

R&D for what ? What does an iphone do that's so unique ? There isn't any real innovation now because every phone is pretty much the same. I have used top end iphones & €200 & less, Chinese phones. The €300 plus Chinese phones are better than the iphone. The cheaper ones are pretty good too.

All the billions spent on R&D by Apple and Samsung is present in all those Chinese phones.

The software, the hardware, the layout, the thermal management, the battery tech, the UX, the manufacturing techniques, the economies of scale and everything else has been ripped off wholesale by Chinese companies and incorporated into cheaper variants.

Its funny to me the way some people rant and rave about the 200-300 euro generic chines phones then complain about apple using chinese assembly companies

Depp wrote: »
    Its funny to me the way some people rant and rave about the 200-300 euro generic chines phones then complain about apple using chinese assembly companies

But we admire Apple for using the same factories :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have had every iPhone form the 3 to the 5 then i changed to the samsung note 3 then a 4 then a S6 edge plus.

Lately i took a chance and got a budget china phone. The One Plus Thee a 400 euro flagship. I was shocked how good the phone is. Its faster then my old 800 euro Samsung s^ edge plus, Does what i wont it to do. It runs a more or less stock build of Andired, It charges in like 40 mins to full from dead.

Like i have no issue with spending 800 euros a phone again but after using a 400 euro budget high end China phone i just don't see the use of them phones any more the 800 euro + phones. As my 400 euro phone does all the same things + more.

There is the reason why the one plus three is always sold out it really truly is a fantastic phone.

You need to change your name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

davo2001 wrote: »

A quick check and most of those affected jail broken devices. The others would be as or more common on android (uploading your contacts prior to the more stringent permissions changes).

My experience of Android devices is that they are extremely laggy and the phones badly built. Not much of a brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

You need to change your name :D

But when it comes to Laptops i would not use anything other then a Mac ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My experience of Android devices is that they are extremely laggy and the phones badly built. Not much of a brand.

Surely a contender for one of the dumbest things on the thread, which is saying something.

That's akin to saying 'my experience of cars is that they are very slow and badly built.'

Android has about 70% market share and is open to thousands of manufactuers to implement on devices ranging from $30 to $1k.

If your experience is that android is 'extremely laggy' and the phones are 'badly built' then maybe you should stop buying low end, cheap phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Which phones as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

Surely a contender for one of the dumbest things on the thread, which is saying something.

That's akin to saying 'my experience of cars is that they are very slow and badly built.'

Android has about 70% market share and is open to thousands of manufactuers to implement on devices ranging from $30 to $1k.

If your experience is that android is 'extremely laggy' and the phones are 'badly built' then maybe you should stop buying low end, cheap phones.

Odd that you called it dumb then explained why I am right in saying most Android devices are crap. I don't buy android devices but the ones I am given to work with are laggy and crap.

And as android is a brand, that matters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement