Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State of LoI football in the capital...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Dalymount deal is done sure, too little too late from our Board. We were always doomed anyway, the FAI had a plan for us and if we didn't go along with it they'd have made things hell I'd imagine.
    That's a shame. I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone fancy a crack at naming the Dublin Club's strongholds? And maybe the vacant localities. I'm not all that sure how accurate my take on it is, feel free to add or dispute.

Bohs- Cabra, Blanch, North Inner City, Finglas, Santry

Pats- Inchicore, Drimnagh, Bluebell, Crumlin, Palmerstown, Clondalkin

Rovers- Tallaght, Milltown, Dublin in general.

Shels -Ringsend, Drumcondra, Marino, Whitehall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone fancy a crack at naming the Dublin Club's strongholds? And maybe the vacant localities. I'm not all that sure how accurate my take on it is, feel free to add or dispute.

Bohs- Cabra, Blanch, North Inner City, Finglas, Santry

Pats- Inchicore, Drimnagh, Bluebell, Crumlin, Palmerstown, Clondalkin

Rovers- Tallaght, Milltown, Dublin in general.

Shels -Ringsend, Drumcondra, Marino, Whitehall

Ballyfermot would be definitely Pats.

kksaints wrote: »
    Ballyfermot would be definitely Pats.

Oh definitely yes, I should have included that. I'd say Ballymun for Bohs too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Lucan for Pats too. South Dublin in general for Rovers, not sure about any stronghold on the northside (though there are plenty of individuals dotted around).

The Morton Stadium would be as far away from a Rovers stronghold as you could get - Beaumont/Santry/Swords/Fingal would be the lowest Rovers fan concentration. North-northeast suburbs in general even...Baldoyle/Artane/Coolock too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They'd be a good Shels following in the likes of Santry, Swords, Artane, Beaumont, Raheny, Donaghmede. Essentially Dublin North East would be mainly Shels.

Plenty of Reds dotted around the Southside outside of Ringsend too - Tallaght, Templeogue, Crumlin, Drimnagh to name a few and also some based in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

How about the following for UCD or Cabinteely...........

How about the following for UCD or Cabinteely...........

You just named where their support is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I always found that growing up in Dublin Soccer was the sport most people knew the most about and followed the most throughout the year but that that was generally English football as they had no real affiliation with the Irish LOI clubs. Soccer was also the sport that most people played as a kid although not perhaps with a club.

Because it was "Dublin" however most Dubs would follow Dublin even if they didn't play for a football or Hurling club.

Rugby was often dependent on what area of Dublin people lived in and / or what school they went to. For example a lot of people have said that in North Dublin nobody talked about Rugby but in Malahide for example that was not the case. Outside of that what time of year too as tbh everyone likes to get involved in big Ireland games be it Rugby of football and Rugby has more games vs teams like England / France and ones we can actually win too

I honestly don't think it is easy to say what the LOI clubs should do especially in terms of suggesting moves so as to get local catchment areas to affiliate more with clubs. Sporting Fingal being the prime example for why I say this because on paper Fingal with Swords etc should have been ideal but it failed.

• Advertisement

Sporting Fingal being the prime example for why I say this because on paper Fingal with Swords etc should have been ideal but it failed.
    Am I right in saying Sporting Fingal did not actually play in the Fingal County district? I think the plan was to build a municipal stadium in Lusk?

The League of Ireland currently has an U19 and an U17 league. U15 and U13 leagues are in the pipeline for the next few years.

If there is genuine interest within Fingal County Council for a sporting project for the area, they should look at getting a team involved in the underage league. Build it up from there. Monaghan United/Cavan and Kerry League are currently involved in the recently added U17 league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Am I right in saying Sporting Fingal did not actually play in the Fingal County district? I think the plan was to build a municipal stadium in Lusk?

The League of Ireland currently has an U19 and an U17 league. U15 and U13 leagues are in the pipeline for the next few years.

If there is genuine interest within Fingal County Council for a sporting project for the area, they should look at getting a team involved in the underage league. Build it up from there. Monaghan United/Cavan and Kerry League are currently involved in the recently added U17 league.

As far as I know the 15s league is starting in March.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They'd be a good Shels following in the likes of Santry, Swords, Artane, Beaumont, Raheny, Donaghmede. Essentially Dublin North East would be mainly Shels.

Plenty of Reds dotted around the Southside outside of Ringsend too - Tallaght, Templeogue, Crumlin, Drimnagh to name a few and also some based in Dublin 15.

I'd have a lot of those areas on the Northside above as mostly Bohs, with a sprinkling of Shels.

I'd have a lot of those areas on the Northside above as mostly Bohs, with a sprinkling of Shels.

And I'd have thought the opposite :D

I thought Bohs were more into their hipster leftie supporters based around Phibsborough and Stoneybatter now? :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Coolock is Shels, no doubt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I suppose it depends on what circles you're in....

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on what circles you're in....

me and me mates all from Coolock, never seen another LOI shirt in the area.

me and me mates all from Coolock, never seen another LOI shirt in the area.

I'll wear my Bohs next time I'm up. :p

up in Artane?

posho.

Coolock is Shels, no doubt.

Seems a good crowd from Coolock going to games these days, from the new young lads in their mid teens to lads in their 20s still going. There's even a Coolock Reds banner floating around at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would not call increased prize money a handout. 110k for winning the league is disgraceful.

Also every card in the League of Ireland results in a fine lol.

And just as a slight aside Dundalk only got 66k of the 100k for the league win 2 years ago, so basically a third held back by FAI for fines. I argue that the point gained in AZ last time was actually worth double a league win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

Just heard on NewsTalk that Shel's are going to Dalymount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's a thought I've generally had with regard to Dublin clubs and provincial sides. In the likes of Sligo, Drogheda and Longford you've got the town or county name in your name. It's easy to identify with that. It's easier to chant and sing songs about Dundalk if you're from Dundalk.

On the other hand, if a lad from Meath comes to support Bohs or Rovers (and some do, for both clubs) you're not really chanting for Dublin as such. So I think it could be easier for an out of towner to get behind a Dublin club with no "Dublin" in the name.

It's a worthwhile point to think on from a promotional view; In the case of the former you could push your strong identity that people from the town can get on board with or , in Dublin club's cases, advertise that one and all can get behind your club.

Any people from outside Dublin that follow a club from the capital care to comment? Or maybe the other way, someone from outside an LOI town that's behind their team anyway.

I suppose one of the major problems with LOI clubs drawing support from neighboring counties (who have no clubs of their own) is the ingrained GAA mentality. People tend to identify themselves by their county here, which is unique when contrasted to other countries. Being a local from south Meath, I go to the odd Shels game when I'm not working evenings. Personally I don't affiliate the Dublin clubs with any overt "Dublin symbolism", it's the opposite infact, they just represent vague regions with little to no connection to Dublin county or city other than they happen to reside there, nor even take the name of the part of Dublin they are in. So personally I found it easier to support Shels than Drogheda, who specifically draw support from and represent Drogheda.

But I feel like I'm alone in that regard, most other south Meath locals wouldn't even consider supporting a Dublin club. But I'm not sure if it's to do with having no attachment to any club because they are "Dublin clubs" or just to do with the fact they have never had any real exposure to the LOI and have no interest in it in general. There is decent Bohs support in south Meath from those who have moved in from Dublin though, or those with kids from Meath but whose parents are from Dublin.

Down the country it is a bit different. Having the county town name in the name of the club means everyone in the county may find it easier to affiliate with the club, as the name of the county town tends to be the name of the county also. But it's not feasible for every county to have their own club, so the downside of naming a club after the county/county town is you alienate support from neighboring counties. And naming it after a specific town who doesn't take the county name, alienates the rest of the county due to local rivalries in GAA etc. So it's a hard one to judge

There was a piece done on RTÉ Prime Time last week on the U15 League of Ireland that's in the pipeline. St. Kevin's Boys and other schoolboy clubs have been excluded. They were questioning the wisdom of the decision based on their track record of producing future stars. They've been advised to link up with existing LoI clubs.

I agree with the FAI's stance. The League of Ireland underage leagues have to be for clubs part of the League of Ireland. The FAI have shown common sense in allowing areas without a LoI club to join the underage leagues.

If young players make a decision to join their nearest underage LoI club instead of their nearest schoolboy club, it's freedom of choice.

The U19 and U17 leagues seem to have bedded in. The U15 league is to start next August. An U13 league is in the pipeline to start in the next 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm glad the FAI have made the smart decision and not condoned the schoolboy clubs with their policy of farming young lads to England. Whether they'll work with LOI clubs is another matter but at least with an U15 and U13 league it'll loosen their stranglehold over those age groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

1866 at the St Pats V Cork City semi final with around 500 up from Cork, huge disinterest from the Dublin soccer public in the LoI

Advertisement