Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering transferring

Options
  • 25-09-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello I'm currently a 1st year pharmacy student in TCD. My sister studied medicine in UCD and she absolutely loved it. My main problem was I wanted to go to UCD but there was no course in pharmacy there, only pharmacology. I put down trinity as number 1 (foolishly) and got it. I had radiography in UCD as 2 incase I didnt get it, I didn't think I would. Now I'm in a huge dilemma. I don't like trinity at all. Everyone there is so snobby and thinks it is the best college in the world. I live in halls and it's a 40 minute travel distance to trinity using the luas, whereas UCD has much better on campus accomdation.

Also, I only want to work in a hospital. If I get community pharmacy I will feel I have wasted 5 years of my life (also the final year is 8000euro). Whereas if I were to go to UCD and study radiography I would be guaranteed a job at a hospital. I have made little friends so far as lectures dont start until tomorrow (i had to spend a week in trinity halls beforehand). I've been having panic attacks everyday and just been crying in my room and fear I have made an awful decision. Would love some help and advice about this, I just wish I was in UCD.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I can't comment on the academic side, or even the accommodation side of your post, but don't let your unease over the social side of things put you off Trinity. Give lectures a couple of weeks and get a feel for what your classmates are like, whether you like the actual course, what societies you might be interested in...
    Look, if you feel that you were simply mistaken to go for pharmacy in the first place, all of the above factors may be irrelevant. But if you're simply nervous because you've only met entitled horrible people so far - without having met your classmates yet - stick with it for a couple of weeks at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I can't comment on the course as such, but I will give my two pence.

Firstly with regards accommodation, I see you want to go to Glenomena, there's no hope for this year. It's full a looooong time and there's a transfer list as long as your arm of people waiting.

Secondly, I would consider the lifestyle of a radiographer vs a pharmacist. A pharmacist has much more regular, autonomous hours and a radiographer has more odd hours for a lot less pay.

Nobody can make the decision for you, personally I would stick with Pharmacy. It's such early days now it's near impossible to know how you feel about your course.

Advertisement