Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost to build house

Options
  • 25-09-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Looking for a rough price to build a 2 bed dorm bungalow grandparents have planning permission to build one so the site is free. Just literally want an average price of normal size 2 bed dormer bungalow

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ncj wrote: »
    Looking for a rough price to build a 2 bed dorm bungalow grandparents have planning permission to build one so the site is free. Just literally want an average price of normal size 2 bed dormer bungalow

Have you to pay the contributions and connection fees?
    What air tightness do you want to achieve?
    Have you any preference to finish etc?
    Allows €2k per square meter and see if that gives you a ball park. If happy then get 3 quotes or a QS to accurately prepare a BoQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ncj

Haven't even thought off all that yet just literally jumping ahead of myself had meeting with bank and most they can offer me for a mortgage to build is near to 90thousand il have bit saved myself too so say 120. Does anyone think I'd build a 2 bed dormer bungalow for that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Where?
    Size? In m2
    When was planning granted?
    Is there mains sewer available?

120k - vat labour @ 13.5% - vat materials at 23% - council fees - waste treatment - services connections - professional fees - then actual build costs.. I think you had better keep saving

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ncj

Where it is in clondalkin at the side of my grandparents house they have been accepted for planning permission. Site is free size granted is 102sq meter.

Haven't even thought off all that yet just literally jumping ahead of myself had meeting with bank and most they can offer me for a mortgage to build is near to 90thousand il have bit saved myself too so say 120. Does anyone think I'd build a 2 bed dormer bungalow for that?

I personally think you will not get it built for that budget. Even a self build would be higher.

LA Contribution must be circa 7-10k
    water connection
    esb connection
    gas connection
    Part L compliance with renewables......

I think you will need very close to 200k to get it completely finished.

You could pay a QS now to price it accurately. It may cost a few hundred now, but it will give you a concrete base as to what you need to aim for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FLC

Looking for per metre 2 cost indicator for 125m2 extension, North Tipp. Single story, roof -natural slate, V roof with two hips, some architectural cladding (approximately 13sqm2), some stonework, some cedar panelling . Heating system oil to be upgraded, solar panels.

Any thoughts?

FLC wrote: »
    Looking for per metre 2 cost indicator for 125m2 extension, North Tipp. Single story, roof -natural slate, V roof with two hips, some architectural cladding (approximately 13sqm2), some stonework, some cedar panelling . Heating system oil to be upgraded, solar panels.

Any thoughts?

Get a QS and quotes for an exact price.

kceire wrote: »
    Get a QS and quotes for an exact price.

Thanks for that. QS lined up through the architect. What does that 200k exclude for example?

Thanks for that. QS lined up through the architect. What does that 200k exclude for example?

It's a beer at calculation to suss out your expectations on cost.
    It wouldn't include or exclude anything in particular.

The devil is in the detail, and once you have your construction drawings and QS BoQ you will be able to itemise it exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I apologies in advance for what sound like a silly answer but it excludes everything that's not included. Its a pie in the sky best guess dart board roundabout ballpark figure. Your house will cost what your house costs, not what the neighbour built for and not what google tells you. You need to work specifically with your own property and the plan you have to work out the actual costs as otherwise you can find yourself well down the road with an unrealistic expectation and making decisions in the blind.

The easy step approach for any build:
    1. sketch plan from designer
    2. cost plan from qs (and subsequent work to get it to a value you can work with)
    3. planning design based on cost plan by designer
    4. planning grant
    5. tender pack
    6. tender review and alterations to adjust for overruns
    7. contract with builder
    8. build process
    9. dream home move in day

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

sketch plan from designer -check
    cost plan from qs (and subsequent work to get it to a value you can work with) -not done
    planning design based on cost plan by designer -check
    planning grant -check
    tender pack -waiting on structural drawings to complete pack

tender review and alterations to adjust for overruns
    contract with builder
    build process
    dream home move in day

I hear what you are saying in terms of its gonna cost what its gonna cost. Architect is of the view that the market (builders) will tell us what its going to cost. We have told the architect our budget and he believes he is within that, but I would like more certainty and sooner than the point at which a number of builders and their QSs provide a build figure.

Are we both "right" or should I be looking for a QS now ie prior to tendering so we have a handle on where we are vs budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Thanks for that.

sketch plan from designer -check
    cost plan from qs (and subsequent work to get it to a value you can work with) -not done
    planning design based on cost plan by designer -check
    planning grant -check

This is where alot of clients go astray. You have in theory skipped an extremely important step in the process as you have skipped over the costing of the idea into getting a grant of planning. In simply terms you now have planning for something you may or may not afford and if you cant, to change it may require you going back down the process again. This happens regularly and comes as a shock when tenders are returned. There is only so much that can come off finishes etc before the structure needs to change if a large cost change is required. Every job is different and every budget is different so it will come down to the specifics of your job as to what you can or cant do.

Hopefully your fairy godmother is watching over you and the tenders come back in budget.

Advertisement