Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Writing a thesis on media representation of atheism in Ireland - LF recommendations

• 25-09-2016 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello fellow atheists and agnostics. As the above title suggests I'm writing a thesis on media portrayal of atheism in Ireland. I'm currently searching for academic readings, reports, statistics, media articles, and other relevant materials.
    I would greatly appreciate any recommendations, maybe valuable readings that you've come across, or knowledgeable people that I could approach for an interview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

L.Riley wrote: »
    Hello fellow atheists and agnostics. As the above title suggests I'm writing a thesis on media portrayal of atheism in Ireland. I'm currently searching for academic readings, reports, statistics, media articles, and other relevant materials.
    I would greatly appreciate any recommendations, maybe valuable readings that you've come across, or knowledgeable people that I could approach for an interview.

You could contact Michael Nugent or Jane Donnelly from Atheist Ireland. I am sure you will get lots of info about how the media portrays atheists from them.
    Also you can contact Humanist Association of Ireland too, for social issues portrayed in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 L.Riley

You could contact Michael Nugent or Jane Donnelly from Atheist Ireland. I am sure you will get lots of info about how the media portrays atheists from them.
    Also you can contact Humanist Association of Ireland too, for social issues portrayed in the media.
    I've already contacted them, but thank you very much for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

I've already contacted them, but thank you very much for the suggestion.

What did they say or provide that helped you? anything interesting or surprising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in fairness I don't think we could do any better than you, just google it. If you are Canadian maybe post up any stuff where you want some local perspectives on something.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In the interests of balance would it not be a good idea to make some contact with media people and also with some people from the religious end of the spectrum? You could start with religious correspondents e.g. Patsy McGarry of the Irish Times.

• Advertisement

What did they say or provide that helped you? anything interesting or surprising?
    Haven't heard back from them yet, but hopefully they'll provide me with some fresh data.
    silverharp wrote:
    in fairness I don't think we could do any better than you, just google it. If you are Canadian maybe post up any stuff where you want some local perspectives on something.
    That's the first thing I did. I have access to several academic data based and libraries. But it doesn't hurt to ask for recommendations. I suspect the libraries are missing the most recent info anyway.
    feargale wrote:
    In the interests of balance would it not be a good idea to make some contact with media people and also with some people from the religious end of the spectrum? You could start with religious correspondents e.g. Patsy McGarry of the Irish Times.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't thought of contacting religious correspondents, to be honest. There's quite a lot written from their perspective. It is unknown at this stage if I'm going to use interviews as part of my research, but it is certainly something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Haven't heard back from them yet, but hopefully they'll provide me with some fresh data.
    We'd be happy to help. Where did you contact us?

We'd be happy to help. Where did you contact us?

Thank you! I've sent an email to Helen.
    I was also planning to visit the information table in Dublin this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Grand. I might see you on Saturday.

Advertisement