Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fort Lauderdale

Options
  • 25-09-2016 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm off to the US in a few weeks. Visiting family in NYC and thinking of doing a week in Fort Lauderdale.
    Anyone know what Fort Lauderdale is like and can you recommend a good hotel in a good location.
    Also, will I need to rent a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

I would say car is essential.

I have visited Florida in June for a week.

Have stayed here:

https://ie.hotels.com/ho199883/hilton-garden-inn-ft-lauderdale-sw-miramar-miramar-united-states-of-america/?tab=description

Nice place.
    Easy access to Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Everglades National Park.

EDIT:

Fort Lauderdale is OK. Nice beach, lots of clubs and pubs. Huge Mall if you are in to shopping. Little bit cheaper than Miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did Fort Lauderdale without a car. No problems but it depends what you want to do. We stayed in the W, very nice if a little trendy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

If you really don't want to hire a car you could sign up to Uber - I found it great in Fort Lauderdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You'll need a car.

I've spent 2 X 1 week there in December and Feb last with work. You simply could not pay me to go back there. I found it rude, very "white" but the first word that comes to mind when I think of it is "old". On one of my connections from JFK to FtL there were 16 wheelchairs for the elderly when we landed....I thought that was ridiculously high but it turned out to be an accurate insight into the city.

The outlet mall mentioned above was ok but I wouldn't choose to holiday somewhere based on an outlet mall.

If it were me, I'd just go to Miami and use that as your main vacation area (or base).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Don't bother with the East coast of Florida unless you want to see South Beach. West Coast, Clearwater, Sarasota,Naples and Marco Island are a lot nicer. It's a whole different kettle of fish between the Two Coasts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement