Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Allowance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Employees who qualify for public holiday benefit will be entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday.

Organisation of working time act 1997.

We all know this, the op knows this, the question is how it applies to someone who doesn't normally work on Mondays but still gets paid for it, the question is, "is the op entitled to an additional day of leave on top on usual week wage even though he didn't actually work on the bank holiday"?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

davo10 wrote:
    We all know this, the op knows this, the question is how it applies to someone who doesn't normally work on Mondays but still gets paid for it, the question is, "is the op entitled to an additional day of leave on top on usual week wage even though he didn't actually work on the bank holiday"?

You and I know it but I think stheno has a different perspective. My answer to your question is the op accumulates an extra 8 hours holiday

You and I know it but I think stheno has a different perspective. My answer to your question is the op accumulates an extra 8 hours holiday

I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I'm in this position.
    If I work the BH I get double pay.
    If I'm off on the BH I get a days TOIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

davo10 wrote: »

Answer: Yes. They are due an extra day off at another point OR a day's pay. (Or, a fifth of their standard week off OR a fifth of their standard week's pay.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Answer: Yes. They are due an extra day off at another point OR a day's pay. (Or, a fifth of their standard week off OR a fifth of their standard week's pay.)

So if they get the extra pay they are not entitled to another day off? It's one or the other not both

Response: the op knows that, he/she is getting the day's pay, the question is, in case you missed it, is he/she entitled to an extra day off on top of being paid for the day?

Stheno wrote: »
    So if they get the extra pay they are not entitled to another day off? It's one or the other not both

Yes. I don't think the OP thought they were entitled to both? (I may have misread that)

So, eg worker is usually paid €1000 for working Tuesday to Saturday. Monday one week is a bank holiday, so like workers doing Monday to Friday, they are entitled to public holiday benefit of either a day off (for the workers who normally work Mondays this might be the Monday itself) or a day's pay. So, the Tuesday to Saturday worker is entitled to a day off (Wednesday, whenever, to be agreed with the employer) or a total pay of €1200. (I think, based on my reading of the rules, practice in two companies I've worked with and advice from outside HRM people, but am open to supported correction.)

Yes. I don't think the OP thought they were entitled to both? (I may have misread that)
    )

You did, what do you think this thread is about?

davo10 wrote: »
    You did, what do you think this thread is about?

Where does the OP say that they should get both? I've reread their posts, and can't see that. Either way, hopefully the OP's query has been answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 guestaccount1

To clear thing up. I get paid a salary and I am not paid per shift. As in there are 3 shifts all working four-on, four-off. Some are going to get more holidays from now on due to being on shift when its a bank holiday.

From what I am reading on here and the statute laws that they can't just take away the bank holidays and give us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I used to work a similar rota, 4 on 4 off,

If I was working on the BH I got 12 hours @1.75 Shift allowance + 8 hours Public Holiday pay,

If I was off I just got the 8 hours Public Holiday Pay + my normal weeks wages.

Advertisement