Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week long tour recommendation?

Options
  • 25-09-2016 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I'm going to have a week off work in October. I'm thinking of doing 5-7 days touring but I'm not sure where would be any good. I'm not looking to do any really difficult treks or anything, I'd be more interested in doing a scenic route than a difficult route. I'd prefer offroad/trail cycling than road cycling.

I was thinking somewhere along the Wild Atlantic Way (I've done the ring of Kerry and the Great Western Greenway). Has anyone any good suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Where's your starting point.? I've done mizzen , mac room , balliasloe , bel coo , letterkenney , malin. Or pick a place eg Killarney then head north via the way. Donegal coastal roads are wild and beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Bus/Drive to Skibbereen, down to Cape Clear, Sheeps Head peninsula, Beara Peninsula.

If you've time take the Old Kenmare Road back to Killarney, or head up the Priests Leap and Gougannae Barra back to Macroom or Skibb.

Alternative is Galway-Clifden-Louisburgh-Westport. Take the ferry to the Aran Islands, Inisboffin or Clare Island for a day or two as well.

If you want flat lands, then the Royal Canal to Cloondara, down to Athlone and Shannon Harbour and back via the Grand Canal. Then from Robertstown down the Barrow to New Ross, on to Waterford and do the bit of the Deise Greenway that they opened last weekend.

Advertisement