Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How cheap do you go when replacing your brakes?

• 25-09-2016 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Time for me to do the brake pads on my car. I've had the warning for awhile now.

I've always heard that under normal conditions cheap pads create more dust on your alloys, squeal and wear faster. At the same time I think there's a limit that makes it pointless getting expensive stuff like drilled and grooved kit unless your minted. So I always go the high-end-of-cheap like this.

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/front-brake-pads/trw-gdb1543_g900005_a161GDB1543.html

What's yer thoughts on pads and disc when servicing? I've never paid a garage to do em but would imagine, just like a oil change you would be getting the cheapest possible crap going into your car from them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Solid discs and some good brand pads have always worked for me.
    Right now I have Mintex discs and pads on the front, think it came to aprox 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

100 is good value for all new discs and brakes. Do you remember if you got a new pin to keep the pads pressed in? Any brake squeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

By pins, do you mean the clips? My model doesn't have them.
    Actually, maybe they did, I don't recall

No brake squeal cause I grease pads to prevent squeal..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lekrub wrote: »
    100 is good value for all new discs and brakes. Do you remember if you got a new pin to keep the pads pressed in? Any brake squeal?
    Normally you wouldn't get a new caliper clip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

cheap and brakes are two words that should never go together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I usually go for OE but have recently switched to Mintex pads and I'm very impressed. Cheap and they work good.

I bought Quinton Hazell discs last week because they were over 2 times cheaper than every other discs available and they seem to be decent enough. I will see how it goes over time!

biko wrote: »
    By pins, do you mean the clips? My model doesn't have them.
    Actually, maybe they did, I don't recall

No brake squeal cause I grease pads to prevent squeal..

kbannon wrote: »
    Normally you wouldn't get a new caliper clip

>I see them now and again with brake kits. I greased the back of the pads last time too and still had a squeal (Discs were good). I saw a Scotty Kilmer vid where he said old clips can be to blame.
    philstar wrote: »
    > Ha yes but I hate the thought of overpaying for stuff on an older car.
    shietpilot wrote: »
    I usually go for OE but have recently switched to Mintex pads and I'm very impressed. Cheap and they work good.

I bought Quinton Hazell discs last week because they were over 2 times cheaper than every other discs available and they seem to be decent enough. I will see how it goes over time!

>Thats a few good shouts for Mintex. I had Fedoro (I think thats how its spelled) before and they were say-so. Havent heard much abut that disc brand but will check em out. I need to hae closer look at the discs to see if its worth changing em since I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I use ebc or brembo.

And stick to high carbon solid discs.

But then I like fantastic brakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Have MTEC Drilled and Grooved Discs and Mintex Pads all around on my saloon, came to about €240 at the time. The Touring has Pagid Discs all around, Bosch rear pads and Apec front pads which I think also came to around €240 which I think is about right for good quality parts.

>Thats a few good shouts for Mintex. I had Fedoro (I think thats how its spelled) before and they were say-so. Havent heard much abut that disc brand but will check em out. I need to hae closer look at the discs to see if its worth changing em since I'm at it.

Ferodo pads/discs are very good too! I'm sure they are ranked higher than the likes of Mintex and the general rule on pads is that anything Mintex or above will be fine! I moved from OE pads to Mintex pads because I had horrible squeals when I was reversing and the Mintex pads come with a nice rubbery type of anti-squeal shield on the back of the pad and it seems to have stopped my problems so I am sticking to that brand of pad for now.

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I use ebc or brembo.

And stick to high carbon solid discs.

But then I like fantastic brakes

Haha that is a fantastic brakes set up. Ceramic are meant to give you practically no brake dust too.
    Have MTEC Drilled and Grooved Discs and Mintex Pads all around on my saloon, came to about €240 at the time. The Touring has Pagid Discs all around, Bosch rear pads and Apec front pads which I think also came to around €240 which I think is about right for good quality parts.

Drilled and grooved discs looks sweet too. I'm not sure if I could justify myself though.250 all round isn't bad though if the car is decent. Another shout for Mintex too.
    shietpilot wrote: »
    Ferodo pads/discs are very good too! I'm sure they are ranked higher than the likes of Mintex and the general rule on pads is that anything Mintex or above will be fine! I moved from OE pads to Mintex pads because I had horrible squeals when I was reversing and the Mintex pads come with a nice rubbery type of anti-squeal shield on the back of the pad and it seems to have stopped my problems so I am sticking to that brand of pad for now.

I share your pain on brake squeal before. Took everything off re greased and gave em ages to bed in but the squel remained. It was a balls. Seeing mintex is popular I think i'm gonna go with them.

Won't have a chance to get them done for a couple of weeks so rime to get a good deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is ATE a good brand??

is ATE a good brand??

Yes. OE brand for many car makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I've done a lot of driving and gave yet to ever replace a disk or pad apart from upgradingbon the track car. Mostly motorway driving thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If you decide to go for cheaper pads from a particular brand I recommend you also fit discs from the same company then they should work well.
    At the very least make sure to clean the braking surface of the old disc thoroughly with brake cleaner to remove all deposits of the old pad from the old disc.
    The company that sells the pads designs the compound to work with the disc they also develop so can have mixed results when used with other brands.
    When you put your foot on the pedal its actually a chemical reaction going on between the disc and pad that slows you down and for this reason its best to use them in harmony with the disc they are designed with.
    I was involved in the Motorsport business for a long time and this is what the brake manufacturers told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I use Textar where possible. Not the cheapest but never have problems with warped discs, which you get after a certain length of time with cheaper brands. Pagid are a good brand also.

Gfs car a 04 audi a3 diesel. She's used to cheapest over the counter pads and her front discs are very thin.

Lives on a hill and complains handbrake is dodge to hold her. (Disc rears)

I've just ordered a set of brembo hc discs and brembo pads all round.

Someone's in for a surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Textar, Mintex, Pagid are all made by the same company, TMD friction.
    I doubt that the pad compounds are all the same but they will all meet ECE R90 specs which means brake performance as good as OEM or better.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Textar, Mintex, Pagid are all made by the same company, TMD friction.
    I doubt that the pad compounds are all the same but they will all meet ECE R90 specs which means brake performance as good as OEM or better.

The difference is what ratio of filler to biting compound.

Cheap pads it can be as low as 5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Mintex for me.

I would be careful of going for premium kit from Brembo, EBC etc re pads as high performance pads can need heat in them to work well. But they can be good enough as regular pads when cold. Depends. I know from motorbikes that lads put in race spec pads into a sports bike and they struggle to find a feel for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Gfs car a 04 audi a3 diesel. She's used to cheapest over the counter pads and her front discs are very thin.

Maybe the handbrake just needs adjusting?

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Mintex for me.

I would be careful of going for premium kit from Brembo, EBC etc re pads as high performance pads can need heat in them to work well. But they can be good enough as regular pads when cold. Depends. I know from motorbikes that lads put in race spec pads into a sports bike and they struggle to find a feel for them.

They all do a Base range that work like any other pads just better.

It's 2 steps up normally before you get ones that need heating up.

Eg ebc ultramax is the Base. Green stuff is the upgrade Street pad. Yellow stuff is the street/track pad but would need some heat. Red stuff is full track.

On a average car I couldn't see someone getting there hands on a track pad without some hassle.

I'm running greenstuff in my van and they need no warm up. The difference you notice is if you push them abit harder they really bite.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Na they bite at the start alright. Her Hill is steep tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ha yes but I hate the thought of overpaying for stuff on an older car.

you should also hate the thought of ending up in hospital

tyres & brakes are two things you should never skimp on

What's yer thoughts on pads and disc when servicing? I've never paid a garage to do em but would imagine, just like a oil change you would be getting the cheapest possible crap going into your car from them.

There are loads of reputable garages that don't use the cheapest possible crap be it oil or brake components :)

>Thats a few good shouts for Mintex. I had Fedoro (I think thats how its spelled) before and they were say-so. ....

Mintex would be a good choice :)

Na they bite at the start alright. Her Hill is steep tho.

On cars that the handbrake operates on the rear disc (as opposed to the ole shoes on the inside of the disc) once the disc cools down after driving it can contract. The handbrake is than not so effective.

Couple that with a really steep hill and I'd be leaving it in gear (which most people do) pointing the wheels to ensure if it does move it's not going to move much.

Long story short, your brembo investment mightn't work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Have EBC Yellow Stuff in my Audi Allroad. They are a massive upgrade on standard and I don't have any issues in terms of feel when cold.

Augeo wrote: »
    On cars that the handbrake operates on the rear disc (as opposed to the ole shoes on the inside of the disc) once the disc cools down after driving it can contract. The handbrake is than not so effective.

Couple that with a really steep hill and I'd be leaving it in gear (which most people do) pointing the wheels to ensure if it does move it's not going to move much.

Long story short, your brembo investment mightn't work :)

Works perfect on my van on same Hill without much effort.

She has to pull it majorly up for same effect.

I understand how they work. Don't worry

I understand how they work. Don't worry

So you reckon it's worn discs/pads?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    So you reckon it's worn discs/pads?

Nope poor quality pads

Nope poor quality pads

Doesn't make sense IMO.
    Looks like handbrake adjustment required :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nope poor quality pads

How did you determine this?

Sorry I just saw that I missed a load of responses. So in my most expensive brake purchase I went for drilled Brembo Discs and febi bilstein brakes pads and sensor. €135 delivered from mister-auto.ie.

I checked micksgarage, GSF, EuroCarParts and Otto Car Parts and all brands but that seemed like the best value combo out all of em.

I'm sure the discs will well outlast the pads but on closer inspection there was a decent lip on mine so am just gonna do it all next weekend.

How did you determine this?

If all is in good working order but still isn't a reasonable performance it has to be the pads are crap.

And let's face it most will fit the cheapest over the counter pads.

Advertisement