Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterilising bottles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

How has this gone to 3 pages without someone suggesting breastfeeding? No sterilising, no checking the temp, no drama :-)

It's not too late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

How has this gone to 3 pages without someone suggesting breastfeeding? No sterilising, no checking the temp, no drama :-)

It's not too late!

Very true, however it can be one mother of a long road to get baby to attach and then for mammy to start producing the milk. Obviously it is the best though.

We have a now 10 month old and we always (after breastfeeding - we had to give formula too) boil the kettle, fill up the bottle to correct ml, add powder and cool under the tap or if you have a few extra mins, put the bottle in a bigger pot, wider circumference makes it cool quicker (put a cup on top to stop it floating etc). Boiling a kttle and waiting a 1/2 hour is not practical at night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

It's not too late!

Probably because the OP specifically asked for advise on sterling bottles & not on what method to use when feeding the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It's not too late!

I thought that too but it's what the question was. Breastfeeding is much easier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

lazygal wrote: »
    I thought that too but it's what the question was. Breastfeeding is much easier though.
    It only is if it works for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Oh wow I started this topic not expecting half as many responses! Thanks guys for all the input. What we've done now which seems to work is sterilize the bottles, close them up and put them in a clean isolated cupboard. Max time to leave them there would be 12 -18 hours before re-sterilizing them. Then when needed, make up a bottle using the Tommee Tippee / formula.
    This kills the formula bacteria before topping up the bottle to the correct level. Three weeks in now and my little boy is packing on the pounds and healthy thankfully.

I never thought there would be so much conflicting advise re this subject, I really thought (maybe I'm naive) that at this stage the world would have a standard and safe way of doing this, but it sounds like the goal posts are always changing. I think the thing is once you find a way that works for you and your baby then that's all that matters as you'll always have someone saying you're doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

pwurple wrote: »
    jakeypooh wrote: »
    This new way of waiting for boiling water to cool dor 30 mins making up all bottles cooling them under tap and putting to back of fridge just not doable nor practical. Def for people with time on their hands

I'm not sure how "new" it is, it's how we were told to do it back when my eldest was a baby, and she's coming up on 6 years old.

It's perfectly doable and practical. I honestly don't know how much simpler it could get.

1) Stick kettle on to boil while steriliser is on
    2) Come back 30 minutes later and make up all 6 bottles.

That's it. Done.

If you can't manage a two step process, changing a nappy must be a disaster altogether.

We have a baby a few months old and were told in very clear terms NOT to make up all bottles at once but each bottle must be made as required..... (told by the midwife /nurse who gave us the lecture on how to look after a baby before leaving the hospital).

So, as others have said, it is fine during the day but not great waiting 30 minutes in the middle of the night for a kettle to cool down.

Not sure if I've misinterpreted your style but you come across as incredibly condescending with your nappy comments at the end there.

I've quotes the whole thread there so you can see it. You have it read right. It was absolutely intended to be a condescending response to this petty jab. "for people with time on their hands"
    No parent has time on their hands. I couldn't even figure out how to have a shower and a newborn at the same time at the start. Where to put the newborn! You put her down, she pukes and chokes.

As I said above, there are two advised methods. One of which is make them up as needed, and one for make up in advance and store. Making them fresh is the safest method, but the storage method is also in the guidelines. I'll dig out the HSE guidelines there in a minute. It's not complicated, but yes, there is conflicting advice from health nurses, and the older set of families in the communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Here are the HSE guidelines
    See the section on safely storing them. They can be stored for no more than 24 hours. Make them all fresh.

http://hse.ie/eng/services/publications/Children/How_to_prepare_your_baby's_bottle_feed.pdf

Here is the way they advise making bottles up on the go.... not with cold water, but with water that is specifically hotter than 70c. This number is not pulled from thin air. It's the temp to make the formula safe, but not damage the proteins. Nowhere in this leaflet does it say make formula with cold water. There are specific medicated formula's which require this, but not you standard ones. They all require 70 degree water. It's also written on the pack of every formula.
    Longer journeys
    If the journey will be longer than two hours, or if you have no way of
    keeping the feeds cold, it is not safe to bring made-up bottles.
    The safest option is to bring the powder with you and prepare a feed
    as normal using water that is hotter than 70°C. Cool it quickly and feed
    your baby right away (see pages 4 and 5).
    If you will not be able to boil water when you are out, you could fill
    a thermos flask with boiling water to bring with you. If you fill the flask
    and seal it, the water will stay above 70°C for several hours. You can
    use it to make up a feed when you need to. Wash flasks well and rinse
    with boiling water before you fill them with the boiling

Advertisement