Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill of Tara Everest Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Rough weather for a massive undertaking. There was plenty of local support riders there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there a Strava link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Incredible achievement! Not wanting to knock it (I'd struggle to do it in a week!) but I thought the whole Everesting thing was a 24 hour challenge? (The FB page says 28.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

g0g wrote: »
    Incredible achievement! Not wanting to knock it (I'd struggle to do it in a week!) but I thought the whole Everesting thing was a 24 hour challenge? (The FB page says 28.5)

I don't see any mention of 24hrs

– "It does not matter how long the ride takes, but it must be ridden in one attempt (i.e. no sleeping in between). Breaks for meals etc. are fine. You can break for as long or as little as you like. Bear in mind break times add up quickly, and can add significantly to your elapsed time."

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Serious kudos to Declan - hope he raised plenty for DSI. :cool:
    .. Bear in mind break times add up quickly, and can add significantly to your elapsed time...
    I don't understand the significance of this. If it does not matter how long the ride takes, why is there concern about the elapsed time? Once the competitor doesn't sleep during the attempt, surely the break times are irrelevant?

I'm still in awe of the Boardsie who 'Everested' on Priest's Leap a couple of years back. One ascent of that pig of a climb was enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Serious kudos to Declan - hope he raised plenty for DSI. :cool:

I don't understand the significance of this. If it does not matter how long the ride takes, why is there concern about the elapsed time? Once the competitor doesn't sleep during the attempt, surely the break times are irrelevant?

I'm still in awe of the Boardsie who 'Everested' on Priest's Leap a couple of years back. One ascent of that pig of a climb was enough for me.

I'd say it comes down to the elapsed time. The longer you rest for, the longer you go without sleep. You're just dragging out the pain :pac:

Congrats to the man. Some cycling.

I was a bit concerned by a few references to "laps" on the FB page cos laps are against the rules, but Strava conforms it was straight up and down.

Fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Lumen wrote: »
    Is there a Strava link?
    https://www.strava.com/activities/723982355

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Great effort and something i'd love to try. As said before, i'm not knocking the ride but i'm sure a lot of boards members could complete that in 28 hours with so much support. Great that he done it for charity

Edit: By the looks of it,because of lost signal it might not be eligible to be classed officially by the everesting organization although maybe they can work it out by the amount of repeats he done of the hill

Edit: By the looks of it,because of lost signal it might not be eligible to be classed officially by the everesting organization although maybe they can work it out by the amount of repeats he done of the hill
    Not true.

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/
    History has shown that data can fail, either on the bike or in the upload. Data is important, but we understand **** happens. So long as you can sufficiently prove the ride we’ll accept it. We’ll decide on a case-by-case basis and may include the requirement to ‘pinky swear’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Lumen wrote: »

That's why i said "might not be and could work it out". I've have read the rules before.

Advertisement