Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

223 update.

• 25-09-2016 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

hi all,this is an update on a post i made a few months ago,at the time was going for a tikka 223,had a budget around €2,000,since then a remington 700 fluted barrel 24" threaded, with burris scope 6.5-20x50 came up for sale due to the owners ill health,no mod,mint condition,not a mark on it,nice gun,5 boxes hornady 55 bt,harris bipod,all for €800 for quick sale,must say i liked the feel,weight,and look,so i bought it,(license pending)he bought the gun new,had it 2 years,said he did not use it much,...now mod wise i have narrowed it down to the following,must be over barrel for compactness/balance etc,,,,,,wildcat evo.ase north star,hausken,or are there better out there?by better i mean sound reduction wise in an over barrel,thanks folks......i know ye must be tired of answering this age old question,but as the good lord said...ask and you shall receive;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I think for moderators the lighter you go the noisier they get.

Have an ASE Utra CQB sits on the end of the barrel, adds about 6 inches but it's very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Davidcardiff

I'm using a wildcat evo on my 22/250 it does an excellent job at reducing the noise volume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Have a chat with John Lambert, He has many mods going through his shop and has tested many himself. He can point you in the right direction. I have a JD224 on my 223 and very happy, according to a German test it is the mod with the best noise reduction per gram weight.
    edi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭sniperman

ejg wrote: »
    Have a chat with John Lambert, He has many mods going through his shop and has tested many himself. He can point you in the right direction. I have a JD224 on my 223 and very happy, according to a German test it is the mod with the best noise reduction per gram weight.
    edi

thanks for that,is your one an over barrel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Hausken JD224 is over barrel. Very quiet, have them on a 308 and one for a 223.

As far as I know their are two versions, one for lighter barrels and the other for target varmint barrels. (Hole diameter in the "over barrel" area is larger on the varmint.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ejg wrote: »
    Hausken JD224 is over barrel. Very quiet, have them on a 308 and one for a 223.

Have on of these too and I am very happy with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

sniperman wrote: »
    ............. since then a remington 700 fluted barrel 24" threaded, with burris scope 6.5-20x50 came up for sale due to the owners ill health,
    If its the one i'm thinking off you got that for a steal. I was looking at the same one last year. Fantastic rifle and looks the part. The scope alone is €1,000 new.

Well ware and if you get a chance throw up some pictures.
    ...now mod wise i have narrowed it down to the following,must be over barrel for compactness/balance etc,,,,,,wildcat evo.ase north star,hausken,or are there better out there?...........
    • Ase Utra S5/Jet-Z = €380
    • T8 = €270
    • T4 AR = €250
    • Wildcat Predator = €295
    • ATec Maxim = €300

I have/had all four of them. I've given some observations based on usage and the rifles they were used on below.

An Ase Utra Northstar on a .243
    • Great mod, great results with little to no difference in POI out to 300yds with it on or off.
    • Easy enough to clean.
    • Best sound reduction.
    • Heaviest of the bunch.
    • Not too expensive considering the price of other Ase mods.
    • Tough wearing and will last as long as the owner if treated right.
    T8 on 30-06 and .243
    • Good on the .243 and 30-06, but difference in POI with mod on was 7" at 200yds.
    • Prone to rusting.
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Has a resonance when fired.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than the Ase.
    T4 AR on .223
    • Difference in POI with mod on or off at 100yds.
    • Prone to rusting. Needs regular maintenance
    • No more difficult to clean than an Ase, etc.
    • Screws down over barrel so reducing excess weight on the end of the rifle.
    • Cheapest of the current available stock of mods.
    • Lighter than some.
    Wildcat on .223
    • Great mod, and very little in difference in POI with in on or off.
    • Lighter than the Ase and ( i think) the T8.
    • Screw down over the barrel for reduced weight.
    • Completely comes apart for easy cleaning.
    • Baffles can be changed allowing the mod to be used on a .223 up to .30cal wth new inners.
    • Polymer housing gives no resonance.
    • Cheaper than Ase, but a little more expensive than T8.
    A-Tec Maxim on .243
    • Lightweight
    • Good sound suppression
    • Reflex
    • Cheaper than most other makes at around €300
    • Comes apart for easy cleaning
    • Small change in POI with mod on to off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thanks cass,will put up some pics soon as i have it in my hands,ya i also think i got a great deal..........the scope is a burris fullfield 6.5-20x50.

sniperman wrote: »
    ........the scope is a burris fullfield 6.5-20x50.
    Just copped that when i looked back at the mag. For some reason the Black Diamond came to mind. Still the Fulfield is not a cheap scope. They were over €650 when they first came out and now go for €450. Decent scope with good glass.

Is the rifle then CDL with Monte Carlo stock?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

not sure about stock,must look it up,might change scope depending how i get on with it,thanks

• Advertisement

CDL is the hinged floor plate, with timber stock and darkened fore end piece, with stainless fluted.

Or there is the Black action, black barrel with the a timber stock.

Cass wrote: »
    CDL is the hinged floor plate, with timber stock and darkened fore end piece, with stainless fluted.

Or there is the Black action, black barrel with the a timber stock.

well its not a timber stock,looks like a camo sort or design,has no drop down magazine,if that means hinged floor plate,then yes it has that,has stainless fluted barrel.

Advertisement