Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softshell?

Options
  • 25-09-2016 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Ok, so might be in the market for a soft shell jacket for winter, anybody use one and can recommend theirs? Ideally would like it to be wind proof, with pit zips and not too heavy, as I tend to sweat a fair bit on the uphills. Will be primarily walking but plan a bit of climbing over the next few years so something fairly general purpose would be good. The level of choice out there is bewildering so any help appreciated;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I use a Rab vapour rise smock on the really grim days, i have an ortovox mreino hoody for the better ones. i also wear a breghause softshell gillet which is great to keep the core warm if it's an early start. I ususlly find that a baselayer, the merino hoody and my hardshell covers all conditions well for me though. I carry a down jacket in winter/Alps too. I suppose I should point out that I don't really feel the cold so what works for one person may not suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I picked up what might be called a softshell smock in a charity shop recently a The North Face jacket which I'm getting to like. Its what I call an orienteering smock, pulls on over your head and has a big single chest pocket big enough to take a map plus map case and has a single joined up hip pockets (zip each side but pocket joined in the middle). At best its shower proof but very light and almost totally wind proof. I tend to keep it on as an outer while stripping off jumper and or fleece as I get hot.

Anyway its a brand I'd recommend (i have a load of their stuff) but don't really like paying their new prices and its a style of jacket I've been looking for for ages. I can't find anything similar on line so guess mine is from a good few years back. Might even be army issue as its green and has a name and rank written on all the labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

SomeFool wrote: »
    I use a Rab vapour rise smock on the really grim days, i have an ortovox mreino hoody for the better ones. i also wear a breghause softshell gillet which is great to keep the core warm if it's an early start. I ususlly find that a baselayer, the merino hoody and my hardshell covers all conditions well for me though. I carry a down jacket in winter/Alps too. I suppose I should point out that I don't really feel the cold so what works for one person may not suit you.

Is the Rab vapour rise smock a fairly heavy soft shell? I've seen the vapour rise light in shops and it's a very, very light garment, which I'd say would be great for highly aerobic activities but maybe doesn't give much weather protection. I picked up a Rab down jacket for some walking in Scotland last winter but found it too hot if moving at even moderate intensity. (Great for tea breaks though;))

I think the idea for the soft shell would be to pretty much replace the hard shell for as much of the time as I can (find them very clammy at the best of times) and with the right jacket with the right balance of ventilation and weather protection I won't have to stop and faff about with layers so often.

Thanks for the info fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Is the Rab vapour rise smock a fairly heavy soft shell? I've seen the vapour rise light in shops and it's a very, very light garment, which I'd say would be great for highly aerobic activities but maybe doesn't give much weather protection. .

I find it toasty, but then I tend not to feel cold. It's grand in the cold and damp but if the weather really hits there is no substitute for a hardshell. Maybe experiment more with how you wear your layers before you commit to buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

my3cents wrote: »
    I picked up what might be called a softshell smock in a charity shop recently a The North Face jacket which I'm getting to like. Its what I call an orienteering smock, pulls on over your head and has a big single chest pocket big enough to take a map plus map case and has a single joined up hip pockets (zip each side but pocket joined in the middle). At best its shower proof but very light and almost totally wind proof. I tend to keep it on as an outer while stripping off jumper and or fleece as I get hot.

Anyway its a brand I'd recommend (i have a load of their stuff) but don't really like paying their new prices and its a style of jacket I've been looking for for ages. I can't find anything similar on line so guess mine is from a good few years back. Might even be army issue as its green and has a name and rank written on all the labels.

It's called a cagoule, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    It's called a cagoule, afaik.

Sort of but in my book a cagoule is an unlined waterproof as in the expression "coco weather" meaning its raining on and off so no sooner your putting your cagoule on you are taking your cagoule off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagoule but I've always taken a cagoule to be slightly more than a pacamac. Peter Storm stuff used to be a bit more up market.

The jacket/smock I have is really only wind proof and even when brand new it wasn't waterproof. It makes a massive difference wearing it when I'm out walking on the beach when its windy.

I think choice of an outer jacket is very difficult for outdoor activities. No one jacket is ideal which is my excuse for having so many :D

If you are going to be out walking climbing and camping then I think you can rule out a lot of waterproof outer garments that are bulky and lined. If the temp goes up they are just too heavy to be carrying around.

I go with a heavy wool mix shirt, light weight army style wool acrylic mix jumper, fleece jacket, fleece waste coat and either a light weight windproof or waterproof outer. Obviously don't wear them all at the same time and take something off if putting waterproofs on. I also have a The North Face Windwall fleece which is another handy windproof jacket basically a fleece with a sort of windproof outer skin on it.

Duvet gear is great and very lightweight but if its raining then its not cold enough to be wearing it unless its not got much down filling or you are just standing around. Synthetic fillings are perhaps better for our wetter weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To me, a cagoule is basically defined as an over-the-head wind or waterproof outdoors garment with a hood. Length can vary. Anything
    with a normal front opening is not a cagoule (again, to me). I had a brilliant, lightweight (unlined) waxed cotton one back in the day.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    To me, a cagoule is basically defined as an over-the-head wind or waterproof outdoors garment with a hood. Length can vary. Anything
    with a normal front opening is not a cagoule (again, to me). I had a brilliant, lightweight (unlined) waxed cotton one back in the day.

Agreed, definitely over the head and I wish you could still get those waxed cotton ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've a Berghaus yolk which I've had for a few years. The main zip started to split, so I got it replaced. It's going again now, but other than that, I'm very happy with the feel and comfort of it. Have used it on hikes and find it a good buffer - took on a Grand Canyon winter hike a few years back and it worked well as a layer, imo.

Ok so I tried on the mountain equipment Vulcan the other day, pit zips, gore windstopper, looks awesome, seems like it might do the trick for winter here and maybe in higher mountains abroad, very dear though at 249. May wait and see if I can get it cheaper in Jan. Have purchased a lighter, less expensive soft shell by mountain hardwesr which was going for a price too low to turn down, when it arrives and I've tested it I'll report back. My hope is to use it in spring and autumn here when hiking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think you're probably looking for too much. I find the DWR softshells that sell well in the Alps are fine in an occasional shower, but don't cope well with the misty, windy, damp stuff we tend to get.

Normally I pack a hardshell with no insulation to keep the rain off, then a reasonably windproof softshell underneath (e.g. Rab Vapour Rise Lite), and some sort of synthetic down jacket if things turn really cold. Most of the time I'll be wearing the softshell only, and throwing on one of the other two if needed.

hmmm wrote: »
    I think you're probably looking for too much. I find the DWR softshells that sell well in the Alps are fine in an occasional shower, but don't cope well with the misty, windy, damp stuff we tend to get.

Normally I pack a hardshell with no insulation to keep the rain off, then a reasonably windproof softshell underneath (e.g. Rab Vapour Rise Lite), and some sort of synthetic down jacket if things turn really cold. Most of the time I'll be wearing the softshell only, and throwing on one of the other two if needed.

I'll see how I get on with the one I've purchased, apparently it's broadly equivalent to the vapour rise, stretchier but less weather resistant.

Advertisement