Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saab alarm box working backwards

Options
  • 25-09-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there,
    thanks to some great advice on here I am nearly through testing the system I am going to install in my house. I'm doing all the work myself and being new to this am running into problems. It's a CS350 with 5 HKC sensors with reeds. 4 zones total, three on their own zone and one zone with two sensors. The siren box is an HKC SAAB with LED's.
    The latest, and hopefully last, problem is testing the external alarm (siren) box on the system. I wired it up, thanks to advice given, but it seems to be working backwards. The siren comes on when I introduce power to the system and stays on even if I put in the disarm code on the keypad. There are three LED's and they flash continuously with the siren.The only time the siren stops is if I arm the system and then move one of the magnets on the sensors I have attached, basically simulating an alarm state. Then the alarm box acts normally with no siren and two of the three LED lights flashing alternatively. From what I've seen on other systems my alarm box is acting backwards.
    Can anyone shed any light on what my problem is?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds like possibly the bell hold off & trigger are reversed.
    Can you post up whats connected to what between the panel and the bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elothar

Hi Koolkid,
    thanks for the reply. :)
    Below I've posted two pics. One of the bell connections and one of the panel connections. Just in case you cant make them out clearly they are connected like this:

CS350 Panel: Red wire - 4 (external bell +) Blue wire - 5 ( external bell -), White wire - 6 (internal bell +), Green wire - 7 (internal bell -), Black wire - 16 (bell hold off), Yellow wire - 17 (self activating tamper bell loop).

SAAB Panel: Red wire - External bell +, Blue wire - External bell -, White wire - Strobe +, Green wire - Strobe -, Black wire - Sab hold BHO, Yellow wire - Tamper Resistor (wire connected to first (left) connection and resistor connected to both connections).

I also have one of the two siren wires disconnected (to save my eardrums), it is the red wire. And also the black wire of the battery hasn't been connected yet either. The three jumper settings are set to: Timer - 3 mins, LED's - Flash and Sound - Standard.

If there's anything else you cant make out just let me know. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Pics a bit blurred but it looks right.
    When the system is in standby & disarmed can you meter the dc voltage across
    + &-
    + & BHO
    and measure again when alarm is activated.

Sorry about the blurred pics.
    I ain't got a multimeter to test. Is there any other way of testing?

Can you go into Engineer & Check Output 6 and see what type its set to and whether it + or - polarity?

• Advertisement

You're a genius Koolkid!! I checked the outputs and all were set to +. I remembered that when I first looked at the system outputs 5 and 6 were set to -. I must have changed them somewhere along the line. I changed them back to - and now the system seems to be working fine. The siren box is staying in monitoring mode when the alarm is not set and reacting to the sensors when the alarm is set. I've tested two of the sensors and will check the other three later when I come back home. :)
    Thanks a million for all of your help! I truly wouldn't have been able to do it without you!! :)

Advertisement