Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems: LibreOffice - Calc

Options
  • 25-09-2016 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this is not the correct forum.

I'm using Libre Office Calc to handle some work spreadsheets I have created from within Calc.

There is a continuous problem in that the indentations within the cell are not holding the value I provide upon re-opening the spreadsheet. It is getting mildly annoying. How can I resolve this?

The cells show that some text is too long for the cell and thus hidden. However when I check using Print Preview or export to pdf it all looks okay. Again mildly annoying, but if I give the document to a customer or someone else I want to ensure that they see what I see.

I've tried saving in MS Excel format and in the std Calc format, but the problems continue.

Any advice on how to solve these - or is the answer just to buy MS Office?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's just a bit of text that is gone? Like the print preview was showing slightly smaller fonts that the normal view? If that's it I can tell that buying MS excel is not the solution as it has the same problem. Try a different font.

A screenshot showing your porblem would be great -I can try to reproduce it in LibreOffice and check how excel handles it as I have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,228 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Steps to replicate problem:
    1. Add some text to a cell
    2. Right-click on cell and select Format Cells.
    3. Click on Alignment tab.
    4. Set the Horizontal Alignment to 'Left'.
    5. Indent now becomes active.
    6. Set the intent to a new value e.g. 80pt
    7. Save file and exit.
    8. Reopen file.
    9. Indent has changed to 106pt

Annoying as hell. These are spreadsheets that I'll want to sent to my accountant soon and they look terrible at the minute becuase of this. I've no idea how to resolve it.

I have a company logo anchored in the top corner beside these indented cells but resizing or removing it does not resolve this problem.

However, if I try to replicate the problem in a new spreadsheet, I can't as the indent is holding its value.

Therefore, there must be something in the file I've currently got that is causing this issue.

Any ideas?

Version 5.2.1.2.

Yip, as I said above it seems to be something local to this specifc file. I'm not sure what it could be.

Could find that path - I'm using Win10. Went to Google and found links saying open Calc and go to Tools > Options Calc and click the Reset button there.

Done that, but no difference.

The unfortunate thing is that as this is a company accounts doc, I don't want to be posting it online. :(

Might try creating a new sheet and see if that works, but it does not solve the problem - its rather a workaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Hi, I can't replicate it either (5.0.3.2).

If it is specific to just one file, could you copy paste the entire contents into a new one?

• Advertisement

Copying across didn't work.

Rebuilding the spreadsheet from scratch at the minute. :(

I've better things to be doing on a Saturday night.

Fixed, although the sheet is now got the problem that borders that appear uniform in normal display having varying thickness when exported to pdf.

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Assuming all the borders are all set to same thickness in libreoffice, I think I've had times where they borders look different like you've described. Do the thicknesses change if you zoom in and out? Sometimes they just display on screen different but they're actually OK. If you can print one page you'll know.

Do the thicknesses change if you zoom in and out? Sometimes they just display on screen different but they're actually OK.

Yip, this is the scenario. Looks like f*** all though and not very professional. I'm not in a big enough way of going yet to invest in the full MSO suite as it seems quite expensive, but might be better than this crap.

I suppose you get what you pay for. :D

Argh - it looks like all my calc spreadsheets have this corruption with formatting. Got some expenses sheets which do not hold cell border updates as well as the indent.It looks fine until I exit and then re-open the file upon which the indent starts to creep and the border updates are lost.

Any more ides on how to solve this rather than re-creating these from scratch.:mad:

• Advertisement

SOLVED!!!!!!

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62367

Problem reported with OpenOffice in 2013!

File needs to be saved as in .ods format. Pure crap. I wonder why this has not been fixed. :mad:

SOLVED!!!!!!

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62367

Problem reported with OpenOffice in 2013!

File needs to be saved as in .ods format. Pure crap. I wonder why this has not been fixed. :mad:

Ah I should have asked the file format you're using. They are different files so, while a lot of things will be common, others will break when switching between programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

........ Pure crap. I wonder why this has not been fixed. :mad:

It's cos excel was originally for Mac and more and more

There are two kinds of Excel worksheets: those where the epoch for dates is 1/1/1900 (with a leap-year bug deliberately created for 1-2-3 compatibility that is too boring to describe here), and those where the epoch for dates is 1/1/1904.
    Excel supports both because the first version of Excel, for the Mac, just used that operating system’s epoch because that was easy, but Excel for Windows had to be able to import 1-2-3 files, which used 1/1/1900 for the epoch.

It’s enough to bring you to tears. At no point in history did a programmer ever not do the right thing, but there you have it. Both 1900 and 1904 file types are commonly found in the wild, usually depending on whether the file originated on Windows or Mac. Converting from one to another silently can cause data integrity errors, so Excel won’t change the file type for you. To parse Excel files you have to handle both. That’s not just a matter of loading this bit from the file. It means you have to rewrite all of your date display and parsing code to handle both epochs.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/02/19.html

Advertisement