Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inglewood Road/Sherlin Road - closing the ped gate

Options
  • 25-09-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Fingal County Council have published a Notice of Intention to Extinguish the Public Right of Way between Inglewood Road and Shelerin Road, Blakestown, Dublin 15. The public has until 4:30pm on Thursday 3rd November 2016 to make a submission on the proposal.

Here is the Street View photo from 2009.

Disclosure: I don't live near this estate.

If I remember correctly, there were reports of anti social behaviour at that gateway.
    I hate to see pedestrian access points being closed off as it forces pedestrians to take much longer routes or to go by car.

Back in 2013 LCC students looked at the unnecessarily long routes they had to take to get to school, primarily because of high railings. (Rather than make gateways, their project involved building fun structures to get over the railings).

In the Draft Development Plan 2017-2023 "permeability" is mentioned in the Infrastructure and Movement section as being important.

If anti social behaviour is the motivation behind the proposed removal of right of way, the majority of law abiding will be the only ones punished.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

daymobrew wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, there were reports of anti social behaviour at that gateway.
    I hate to see pedestrian access points being closed off as it forces pedestrians to take much longer routes or to go by car.

Put yourself out in the postion you have just just outlined. Yourself, your family, your home, your street, is subjected to ongoing anti-social behavior. What would you do to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Put yourself out in the postion you have just just outlined. Yourself, your family, your home, your street, is subjected to ongoing anti-social behavior. What would you do to stop it?
    Closing the gateway won't stop it. The railing is easily hopped over.
    The Gardai need to get off their behinds and do their job.

I remember one estate off Clonsilla Road that had an issue. They set up "patrols" that walked around the estate. They were there to let the culprits know that they were being watched. It worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Closing the gateway won't stop it. The railing is easily hopped over.
    The Gardai need to get off their behinds and do their job.

I remember one estate off Clonsilla Road that had an issue. They set up "patrols" that walked around the estate. They were there to let the culprits know that they were being watched. It worked.
    You made a well reasoned statemet in you original post. However to my mind you now have completely underminded your view point by what you've said here.

That's me out of this discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I grew up in Inglewood, but haven't lived there since 1990. Looking at it now on Google Maps, I don't see why they shouldn't close it off as long as it's still possible for pedestrians to walk to Clonsilla village via Lohunda Park. Crossing the Shelerin road at that spot isn't a great idea anyway because of the bend in the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Fingal County Council have published a Notice of Intention to Extinguish the Public Right of Way between Inglewood Road and Shelerin Road, Blakestown, Dublin 15. The public has until 4:30pm on Thursday 3rd November 2016 to make a submission on the proposal.

Here is the Street View photo from 2009.

Disclosure: I don't live near this estate.

Back in 2013 LCC students looked at the unnecessarily long routes they had to take to get to school, primarily because of high railings. (Rather than make gateways, their project involved building fun structures to get over the railings).

In the Draft Development Plan 2017-2023 "permeability" is mentioned in the Infrastructure and Movement section as being important.

If anti social behaviour is the motivation behind the proposed removal of right of way, the majority of law abiding will be the only ones punished.

Any thoughts?

I don't live in the estate either.

However, I don't believe in restricting any pedestrian access. If unsocial behaviour at night is an issue, locking a gate at night may be a solution - there are other examples in the area.

Dublin 15 is already an area with very poor pedestrian links. Removing any other is not a good step.

• Advertisement
Advertisement