Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gun attack in Sweden (Malmo)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Sad to see.

I believe police have almost given up on Malmo at this stage and it's nearly a massive no go area as they've lost control in so many areas.

Apparently an explosion has also hit after the gunshots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Its everyday thing around the world nowadays. The world is unstable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sad to see.

Yes - a country which was known for being super safe and peaceful is sadly changing fast. Not at the same scale and anecdotical, but my partner had her wallet and camera stollen at a fancy shopping centre in the centre of Stockholm, and despite the fact that identifying the thief would have been easy with a lot of CCTV footage available (we were with another friend sitting at a coffee shop with glass walls and facing the main lobby of the shopping centre, and they somehow managed to get it from her purse without us noticing), neither the shopping centre security staff nor the police seemed interested in what is now such a small thing compared to something like today's attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Apparently an explosion has also hit after the gunshots

Was it another gas leak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭brickmauser

Anyone want to guess the motive? It wouldn't have to do with you know what and you know who?

Anyone want to guess the motive? It wouldn't have to do with you know what and you know who?

Mental health? Gas leaks again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Give over with the snide comments lads, getting very old at this stage.

Not seeing this on any news channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Another example of Twitter at it's worst - total non story - move along nothing to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Collie D wrote: »

Seen it earlier on one of the online papers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terror-alert-malmo-explosion-rocks-8913266

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Give over with the snide comments lads, getting very old at this stage.

A quick Google seems to confirm it as a grenade and gun attack

Though a read of the reddit tread seems to suggest it's part of an ongoing criminal fued with decades

Though all them folks skirting about the issue don't want to straight say islamists.....I assume

Yes strange I originally saw this on the website of France's largest national paper, but when I googled it to find a source in English I saw the British and Irish media don't seemed to have picked it up very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

A quick Google seems to confirm it as a grenade and gun attack

Though a read of the reddit tread seems to suggest it's part of an ongoing criminal fued with decades

Though all them folks skirting about the issue don't want to straight say islamists.....I assume

Serb mafia as well as other former Yugoslavia fractions are fairly active in Sweden , they are usually behind such feuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have only been able to find it on UK and Irish tabloids and the likes of Fox news - not on Reuters, none of the UK or Irish reasonable papers, RTE, BBC, Swedish papers - apart from one tabloid. Where is the news coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

looksee wrote: »
    I have only been able to find it on UK and Irish tabloids and the likes of Fox news - not on Reuters, none of the UK or Irish reasonable papers, RTE, BBC, Swedish papers - apart from one tabloid. Where is the news coming from?

Try Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It is a bit odd that there's so little about it. But it does seem to be being reported more as a targeted shooting rather than a terrorist attack. If that is the case, it's not so surprising that there's not that much coverage of it.

"Gunmen opened fire on a car they had been chasing through a neighbourhood in Sweden’s third largest city. The gunmen fled the scene while four people were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds, Fox News reported.
    The condition of the victims is unknown, however one person is understood to have suffered a head injury.
    Swedish police are treating the shooting as attempted murder."

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/malmo-shooting-swedish-city-rocked-by-gunfire-reports-of-explosion/news-story/4126f5b5fa4e1ff08f5f952a0dbf0c50

No-one seems quite sure if the explosion is linked to it/was in the same area yet.

Samaris wrote: »
    It is a bit odd that there's so little about it. But it does seem to be being reported more as a targeted shooting rather than a terrorist attack. If that is the case, it's not so surprising that there's not that much coverage of it.

How do you know so much without coverage? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gangland?

Paul-Hendrick Williamsøn is on the case

How do you know so much without coverage? :confused:

The power of google shows what coverage there is, and looksee already gave a list of the coverage there isn't :P

Plus the link I put in there with the quote.

Edit: Btw, the point of that was just that big papers aren't going to pick up a shooting that -they- think is local news. Terrorism makes international news. If something comes out to suggest this was something more, the media will all get busy on it. It's certainly not confirmed yet that it is or isn't terrorism or gangland or random.

The power of google shows what coverage there is, and looksee already gave a list of the coverage there isn't :P

Plus the link I put in there with the quote.

Got you before the edit. :cool:

• Advertisement

Terrorism makes international news. If something comes out to suggest this was something more, the media will all get busy on it.

Sure they will. Have the found the Hispanic mall shooter in Washington yet? Did they find a source of the gas leak in Budapest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sure they will. Have the found the Hispanic mall shooter in Washington yet? Did they find a source of the gas leak in Budapest?

Calling agent Mulder

This really wasn't a political point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Gatling wrote: »
    Calling agent Mulder

Except he's right isn't he. We've already had a nail bomb in Budapest called a gas explosion and a Turkish immigrant shooting women in Washington called 'Hispanic'. Maybe this is a local gang thing but you can see why people are calling bull**** on the 'early reports'.

Except he's right isn't he. We've already had a nail bomb in Budapest called a gas explosion and a Turkish immigrant shooting women in Washington called 'Hispanic'. Maybe this is a local gang thing but you can see why people are calling bull**** on the 'early reports'.

Oh I never checked up the Hungary one do you have a link who was behind it, didn't think there's many of the snackbar persuasion there or was it a criminal gang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Oh I never checked up the Hungary one do you have a link who was behind it, didn't think there's many of the snackbar persuasion there or was it a criminal gang

No idea. disappeared off the news again, right after the reports of 'gas explosion' were getting disproven.

No idea. disappeared off the news again, right after the reports of 'gas explosion' were getting disproven.

Found links will post in the proper thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Very strange this and hard to know what the situation is. Mumblings about a terror attack on twitter but nothing on mainstream media. This has been ongoing for hours.

By all accounts I believe overly liberal politicians have let Sweden go to hell and there has been trouble there with immigrants for some time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Very strange this and hard to know what the situation is. Mumblings about a terror attack on twitter but nothing on mainstream media. This has been ongoing for hours.

It's late on a Sunday night. There'll be plenty of reports in the morning.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Calling agent Mulder

The mainstream media have been regurgitating some absolute nonsense about these recent terror attacks. Reporting nail bombs in Budapest as gas leaks, Turks shooting up malls as Hispanics(with a possible white male accomplice) and up until relatively recently, throwing people with mental health problems under a fleet of buses to take the spotlight off of radical Islam.

Is it any wonder people are taking to alternate media for their news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The mainstream media have been regurgitating some absolute nonsense about these recent terror attacks. Reporting nail bombs in Budapest as gas leaks, Turks shooting up malls as Hispanics(with a possible white male accomplice) and up until relatively recently, throwing people with mental health problems under a fleet of buses to take the spotlight off of radical Islam.

Is it any wonder people are taking to alternate media for their news.

What's this about a possible accomplice? I didn't see that. Was watching the news on Friday when the shooting was reported. Neither of us thought the shooter looked Hispanic. You can kind of tell by the coverage which way it's going to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Bad news jizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Malmo is probably beyond salvation now. Immigrant youth gangs have taken hold of the city and as they are born in Sweden they are Swedish in the sense of the law, and thus cannot be deported when they commit crimes.

Fortunately they usually target each other but innocent bystanders gets killed all the time.
    In immigrant areas in Gothenburg a boy, 8, died recently in a hand grenade blast
    A four-year-old girl died last year in a car explosion linked to ongoing gang wars in Gothenburg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Sounds like a mob hit: gunmen in hoodies on two scooters

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/monde/20160926.OBS8719/suede-quatre-blesses-dans-une-fusillade-a-malmo.html

That article quotes Associated Press as saying Malmo is in the middle of a turf war over trafficking, prostitution and drugs.

Border city. On one side of the bridge to Denmark and the mainland. You always get trouble on borders.

Detailed report from an English-language site in Sweden here

https://www.thelocal.se/20160926/malm-gunfire-missed-child-by-centimetres

From last year:

https://www.rt.com/news/310757-sweden-malmo-blasts-crime/
    Four grenade attacks this week have rocked Malmo, the third largest city in Sweden, prompting police to sound an alarm over the increasing violence. Multiple explosions, shootings and arson struck the city, which has a large migrant population.

On Sunday, the southern Swedish city of Malmo saw the fourth grenade attack in under a week as the a hand grenade was detonated in a car park in the district of Värnhem in the morning, local media reported.

It is the thirtieth explosive attack since the New Year. We have a situation that is serious,” said the Malmö police chief, Stefan Sintéus, about the explosion on Friday, as quoted by the Local.se on Saturday.

This week’s unrest continues a series of numerous shootings, explosions and arsons that have occurred since the beginning of the year in Malmo, infamous for high crime rates, multi-ethnic and gang-related violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FriendComputer

Mob hit? No, no, that's obviously just a liberal cover story. Clearly, despite no evidence to show it, this is more immigrant violence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Mob hit? No, no, that's obviously just a liberal cover story. Clearly, despite no evidence to show it, this is more immigrant violence!

Yeah. Wake up people. Can't you see the puppet master!

Well, it may be immigrant violence; look at the way new estates often have a teenage crime problem in the first 20 years or so after they're built - rich estates, poor estates, no big difference. Young people in a place they're new to, with no grannies to say "I'll report your mother on you", can go wild.
    The problem here is that there's a border, and two police forces that may not share enough information and resources; and there's a profit to be made especially from bootlegging drugs in a Prohibition situation.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Well, it may be immigrant violence; look at the way new estates often have a teenage crime problem in the first 20 years or so after they're built - rich estates, poor estates, no big difference. Young people in a place they're new to, with no grannies to say "I'll report your mother on you", can go wild.

I am always a bit wary about this kind of thinking. I haven't heard much about Chinese/South East Asian/Indian/etc kids going "wild" even though the culture gap is quite big for them coming to Europe compared to their country of origin. Finding excuses for some groups while others cause no trouble might not be serving anyone in the long term as it can make things worse (when I talk to my parents who used to work in French schools since 70s, what you are saying is exactly the kind of excuse they tell me they were finding for kids at the time - and which they now think was a mistake).

I know a young couple living in Malmo with a Chinese wife and Swedish born husband of Malaysian origin, and while they are not exactly "traditional" Swedes (no better word, sorry) and don't have grandmas in the country, they as worried about the current situation as most people and describing some no-go areas for them, wondering what's up with the Swedish government letting a previously very peaceful country gradually become unsafe and violent.

My assumption is that the news were reporting that the person looked "Hispanic" because that's how the witnesses described him. I'm not sure if the authorities ever announced they were looking for said person. I really doubt there's any cover up. Or whatever you're trying to say.

Knowing one or two people whose children haven't gone wild isn't an overview of a whole society ;)

The person who first made the kids-go-wild-in-new-estates point to me grew up in Kimmage in the 1940s, and moved to various new estates (rich and poor) in Cork, London, Liverpool and Belfast, and said he'd seen the same thing almost invariably. I don't know if it's a theory that's testable, but it seems to be that estates do get settled when the next generation has kids - unless there's a mass movement out and a new movement in by new people.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Knowing one or two people whose children haven't gone wild isn't an overview of a whole society ;)

The person who first made the kids-go-wild-in-new-estates point to me grew up in Kimmage in the 1940s, and moved to various new estates (rich and poor) in Cork, London, Liverpool and Belfast, and said he'd seen the same thing almost invariably. I don't know if it's a theory that's testable, but it seems to be that estates do get settled when the next generation has kids - unless there's a mass movement out and a new movement in by new people.

And no-one said that, I was just saying it is not a "always lived there" versus "new in town" type of thing and concerns also very much exist within the newer populations.

If you want high level figures showing disparities between different immigration groups in term of crime rates, you can for example look at the ones the economist quoted recently saying that between 40-60% of inmates in French prisons are Muslim (much more that the proportion of Muslim people in the general population), which clearly shows there has been specific crime-related issues with children of immigrants coming from at least some Muslim countries. On the other hand, crime rate amongst Asians is actually lower than the general public while there has also been large scale immigration for example from Vietnam starting around the same time and those people originally lived in the exact same suburbs, were treated in the exact same way, and the culture gap was at least as large for them.

Hence my point: I am not too keen on making excuses for anyone and think it is best to just hold everyone to the same standard (the highest one), or in the long term you will just let problems snowball and increase the gap between different groups (which his bad for everyone, including the groups including those youth who have "gone wild").

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nothing new here; there's been a gang warfare going on for over a year in Malmo due to a gf of one rival gang leader went over to another gang's leader which triggered the latest round but it's been brewing and bubbling for a while. Has nothing to do with religion or even immigration really (there are Hells Angels blowing up Bandios etc. as well though that war is on a more Nordic scale inc. Denmark) but simply different gang constellations fighting each other. If you want a bit of background and don't mind to use google translate this article from 2015 gives quite a bit of background to it all.

Now separately to this there is an issue in Malmo in general with immigration issues but the above mentioned incident has nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Not much coverage of irish gang turf warfare over here but without hyperbole I reckon Dublin is beyond salvation. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Dr Jakub

Nothing new about this sadly. Since accepting diversity Sweden now has 55 no areas and has become the rape capital of Europe.

People should be aware of how the media is managed in Sweden. You may see a headline saying 'eight Swedish men questioned over gang rape on ferry to Finland'. Do a little digging and you discover the 'Swedish' men came from Libya, Iraq, Somali etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dr Jakub wrote: »
    Nothing new about this sadly. Since accepting diversity Sweden now has 55 no areas and has become the rape capital of Europe.
    You do know the "no go" areas are defined as "where the police have once or multiple times felt insecure doing their job"; not areas where they are not going, right?

Nody wrote: »
    You do know the "no go" areas are defined as "where the police have once or multiple times felt insecure doing their job"; not areas where they are not going, right?

From the same Wikipedia article you probably got that statement from, here is how an Australian TV crew's experience trying to film in one of these areas (6 police officer were assigned to protect the crew but at some point vanished) : http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/news-and-current-affairs/60-minutes-film-crew-attacked-by-a-group-of-masked-men-in-stockholm-20160301-gn79oi.html

Now everyone can chose who to believe to not, but based on the journalist's statement it is a bit more severre than just "police have once or multiple times felt insecure doing their job".

Bob24 wrote: »
    Now everyone can chose who to believe to not, but based on the journalist's statement it is a bit more severre than just "police have once or multiple times felt insecure doing their job".
    How about you actually look at the source material a second time? The quoted report that mentioned said 50 areas has that exact definition for defining those 50 areas in the first place (and calling them no go areas came from a journalist writing an opinion piece for an article). Or are you claiming that the Swedish police force who wrote the report made up a completely new definition to include in the report but really meant that they never go there (which you've already proven is not true)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

People should be aware of how the media is managed in Sweden. You may see a headline saying 'eight Swedish men questioned over gang rape on ferry to Finland'. Do a little digging and you discover the 'Swedish' men came from Libya, Iraq, Somali etc.

Sweden is not the rape capital of Europe. Sweden changed the definition of rape to include multiple types of sexual assaults. Julian Assange is wanted for rape there, I don't know if what he is accused of is even a crime here (Although if he did it he's still a cnut. Actually he's a bit of a cnut either way).
    There's no more of what we term rape than there is anywhere else.

There was an error rendering this BBCode post

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am not following you. Which source material are you referring to?
    This report from the Swedish police force is the first, and only, reference to the 50 areas that should be used. The first summary sentence is:
    Sweden is currently 55 geographical areas where local criminal networks is considered to have negative impact on the local community. The areas is distributed over the 22 cities.
    Then we can skip down to 3.4.4 which translates as (this is google translated so not 100% accurate translation as a side note):
    3.4.4 Disturbances and social concern
    In the affected areas perceived distrust of society be widespread and at locations It clearly follows that the police are not welcome in the neighborhood. In everyday police work it takes the form of the unattended police cars attacked, for example by slashed tires. Where among other things, police and others operators are attacked.

In several areas people gather during interventions which can create insecurity acting as an officer in the area. There is also a number of examples from different areas of police officers at the intervention been attacked of people who are not touched by the service operation. Though in most to areas perceived after all police is able to walk freely and patrol on foot without fear of being attacked.
    Which goes into the above definition used and is listed in 3.5.3:
    The areas are seen as generally difficult for the police to work in. As earlier mentioned the police are disturbed and hampered in their duties, which can create discomfort to work in the area.
    This is all from the original report which the rest of the articles are based on; that is the definition used in the report that defined the areas. Hence the 55 areas are not no go zones; they are defined as areas where the local police had at the time difficulty to execute their job but they also state they can foot patrol in the majority of said areas without risk of being attacked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement