Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booking deposit

Options
  • 25-09-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there

We recently placed €300 as a booking deposit for the installation of a kitchen. We signed a docket that did not say that the deposit was non refundable and neither did the people working there say it was non refundable.

We have decided not to go with this company and they are now refusing to give our deposit back. Are they within their rights?? I know booking deposits are refundable on houses

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Where the terms of an agreement are not set out clearly, then the courts are guided by "custom and practice", meaning that they go along with the way things are generally done in such a situation.

In most business situations, custom and practice is that deposits are not refundable when a customer has a change of mind (they can be refundable in some other situations, such as the seller not being able to deliver in reasonable time).

You are right about deposits on houses. It is a well-known exception to the general pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Hi there

We recently placed €300 as a booking deposit for the installation of a kitchen. We signed a docket that did not say that the deposit was non refundable and neither did the people working there say it was non refundable.

We have decided not to go with this company and they are now refusing to give our deposit back. Are they within their rights?? I know booking deposits are refundable on houses

Thanks

I think the assumption would be that a deposit is non-refundable. Otherwise, what's the point of it?

Contract law for property purchase is different to other contracts so it's not really applicable here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Think of the opposite situaltion - you paid a deposit, you pick the design, you pick the finishes, you place the order. Two weeks later the company decides they don't want to do the job. You'd be rightly pee'd off.

As above, unless specified otherwise, deposits are rarely refundable.

On a house purchase it is the "booking deposit" that is refundable, but once you sign the contract, it becomes non refundable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't know what you expect here. A deposit serves a purpose and is generally assumed to be non refundable otherwise it would not be for for purpose.

You can consider the legal route but I wouldn't hold out any hope.

What did you think a deposit is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What did you think a deposit is for?

A lot of people seem to assume that deposits, and contracts, only apply to the vendor and not the consumer.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to assume that deposits, and contracts, only apply to the vendor and not the consumer.

Agreed but this is clearly a deposit to protect the vendor. So a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Agreed but this is clearly a deposit to protect the vendor. So a moot point.

How is it only one sided. On this car the IP wanted a kitchen paid a deposit. That deposit protected the seller from the op changing their mind and canceling . This left the seller with product that they have no buyer for. The seller now has a gap in their schedule that might not be filled.
    The deposit also garentees that the op is getting kitchen and when they are getting it. It books their place on the list.

The deposit is going to be used for what it was designed for. The op gave away the deposit when they canceled.

How is it only one sided. On this car the IP wanted a kitchen paid a deposit. That deposit protected the seller from the op changing their mind and canceling . This left the seller with product that they have no buyer for. The seller now has a gap in their schedule that might not be filled.
    The deposit also garentees that the op is getting kitchen and when they are getting it. It books their place on the list.

The deposit is going to be used for what it was designed for. The op gave away the deposit when they canceled.

You seem to think that I think otherwise. I'm confused as to what you are arguing against my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PaiseanFaisean

You seem to think that I think otherwise. I'm confused as to what you are arguing against my point.

But the supplier did not prepare any units for us, did not survey our house, did not even arrange a time when our kitchen would be installed. How is the seller losing out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

But the supplier did not prepare any units for us, did not survey our house, did not even arrange a time when our kitchen would be installed. How is the seller losing out??

Why did you pay them a deposit when they hadn't even done a survey? How did they create a design without doing the survey?

• Advertisement

nibtrix wrote: »
    Why did you pay them a deposit when they hadn't even done a survey? How did they create a design without doing the survey?

The deposit was to hold a sale price on the kitchen which was ending that day. We gave them the measurements of our kitchen and they did up a design while we were there. Next stage was for us to ring them to arrange for them to come see our house and survey it

sorry I thought you were saying that in a negative towards the vendor way

The deposit was to hold a sale price on the kitchen which was ending that day. We gave them the measurements of our kitchen and they did up a design while we were there. Next stage was for us to ring them to arrange for them to come see our house and survey it

so they designed your kitchen and took a deposit on the kitchen you committed to buy and then you cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

so they designed your kitchen and took a deposit on the kitchen you committed to buy and then you cancel.

Agreed, they spent time with you designing the kitchen and going through the booking/payment process. Even though you wouldn't price their time at that amount it may have meant that someone else didn't get seen that day and lost them the opportunity to make a different sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

From the competition and consumer protection commission:

Remember, deposits are usually non-refundable. If you pay a deposit and then change your mind about the product or service, the supplier or seller may not have to return your deposit.
    http://www.consumerhelp.ie/paying-deposits

From the consumer association of Ireland:

When you pay a deposit, you are entering into a contract as a consumer with a shop or seller and rights and obligations are created for both parties to the contract.

If I change my mind about buying the good or service, can I get my deposit back?

The obligations of the contract work both ways and you have undertaken to buy the product or service, so the seller is not required to return the deposit simply because you have had a change of heart.
    http://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/buying-online/

Would it be reasonable to ask for Store credit as they also supply wardrobes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's absolutely no harm in asking, it may be in the best interests of you and the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Very reasonable.

I would think that any good trader would go along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Very reasonable IMO, as it means that you will still purchase from them. So in the end, they will still have you as a customer.

Advertisement