Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louis Theroux Scientology falls foul of blashpemy laws

• 25-09-2016 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/louis-therouxs-scientology-movie-might-not-released-irish-cinemas-due-blasphemy-laws/561654
    It's looking increasingly likely that Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie will not be getting a release in Ireland due to blasphemy laws.

Graham Spurling, the owner of Movies@Dundrum, Movies@Swords, Movies@Gorey and SGC Dungarvan, informed us that as things stand, distributors aren't willing to screen the film because Ireland's blasphemy laws do not not offer them any protection from potential litigation.

I'd be curious - seeing as this has artistic and academic value - is this actually about blasphemy or the tendency of scientology to go to court to defend their cult against criticism.

I genuinely hope that someone does release it and that they do go to court. It might help define what a religion actually is - and this crap certainly isn't. Germany don't recognise it and I would hope our courts would follow their precedent.

Either way it's just another reason to get this crap removed from our laws.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 pedrofcuk

irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/31/section/36/enacted/en/html#sec36
    (4) In this section “ religion ” does not include an organisation or cult—

(a) the principal object of which is the making of profit, or

(b) that employs oppressive psychological manipulation—

(i) of its followers, or

(ii) for the purpose of gaining new followers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But never been challenged so I actually hope they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

pedrofcuk wrote: »
    irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/31/section/36/enacted/en/html#sec36
    OK, so acording to our blasphemy law, a cult employs oppressive psychological manipulation, and makes a profit, whereas a religion does not. Hmmm...
    I think the threat of being burned alive in the hellfires of eternal damnation should qualify as the former.

As for profit, well that is a slippery concept. An organisation that ploughs all its operating profits back into its own activities can be said not to make an overall "profit". Big corporations like Shell and Apple operate on this basis; not declaring any substantial profit in any particular taxable jurisdiction. Always charging intellectual and licencing fees from one subsidiary to the other, which eat away nearly all the "profit" generated locally.

As long as the Vatican and/or Scientology HQ do not draw profit from the org. into the private account of any private shareholder, they have not technically "made a profit".

I still prefer the old way of telling a religion from a cult. In both cases, the founder knows its all a scam, but in a cult at least one member is aware of the scam because the founder is still alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

recedite wrote: »
    I still prefer the old way of telling a religion from a cult. In both cases, the founder knows its all a scam, but in a cult at least one member is aware of the scam because the founder is still alive.

But L.Ron is dead, does that make Scientology any less of a cult? I read 'Blown for Good' a couple of years back and Scientology seems about as cultish as cults get from where I'm sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do they not have the fall back that the state censor has approved the movie?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smacl wrote: »
    But L.Ron is dead, does that make Scientology any less of a cult?
    IMO its a religion. I haven't read that book, but I read Dianetics and Barefaced Messiah years ago. There's only so much Scientology Lit. I can take.

In 1993 the Revenue service in the USA declared it to be a religion. Also several EU countries.
    The UK declared it "not a religion" but subsequently gave it charitable status, which I would regard as equivalent to a successful appeal by Scientology of the original ruling. A sort of climbdown that saved face, while giving both sides more or less what they wanted.

So before implementing the blasphemy law, Ireland would first have to fight this legal battle and declare it "not a religion".
    I think the cinemas are safe enough ;)
    But by refusing to show the movie, they are doing something useful; ie highlighting the (theoretical) censorship and stupidity of the blasphemy law.

IMO its a religion. I haven't read that book, but I read Dianetics and Barefaced Messiah years ago. There's only so much Scientology Lit. I can take.

In 1993 the Revenue service in the USA declared it to be a religion. Also several EU countries.
    The UK declared it "not a religion" but subsequently gave it charitable status, which I would regard as equivalent to a successful appeal by Scientology of the original ruling. A sort of climbdown that saved face, while giving both sides more or less what they wanted.

Let's not use the USA as a standard. I could declare myself to be a messiah and claim my own religion for tax purposes in the US. Germany has specifically denied it religion status. As have the UK, Canada, Finland, Belgium - among other countries - who deny it charitable status as a religion. 10 years ago that applied in Ireland too - not sure of the current status.
    So before implementing the blasphemy law, Ireland would first have to fight this legal battle and declare it "not a religion".
    I think the cinemas are safe enough ;)
    But by refusing to show the movie, they are doing something useful; ie highlighting the (theoretical) censorship and stupidity of the blasphemy law.
    Agreed. Theroux is a respected journalist and for his film to be unavailable due to the threat of litigation under our blasphemy laws will hopefully highlight how ridiculous it is.

Orion wrote: »
    Agreed. Theroux is a respected journalist and for his film to be unavailable due to the threat of litigation under our blasphemy laws will hopefully highlight how ridiculous it is.

its a good publicity stunt for sure. On the basis of how the actual law works though its not like some group could take a civil case against a cinema chain. the state would have to take a prosecution and would need the minister's agreement. There is no way that any minister would sign off on this particular case, it would be career suicide.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

silverharp wrote: »
    do they not have the fall back that the state censor has approved the movie?
    what's the brief of that office though? possibly just in relation to deciding on the level of sex and violence, and choosing a suitable minimum age.
    i would assume they are silent on issues such as libel, defamation, blasphemy, etc.; can you imagine their legal bill if they had to decide on such things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Harry Browne

I genuinely hope that someone does release it and that they do go to court. It might help define what a religion actually is - and this crap certainly isn't. Germany don't recognise it and I would hope our courts would follow their precedent.

Will you fund their legal fees?

Great bunch of lads, the Germans - lets copy everything they have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I genuinely hope that someone does release it and that they do go to court.
    Would it not be simpler to download it?

what's the brief of that office though? possibly just in relation to deciding on the level of sex and violence, and choosing a suitable minimum age.
    i would assume they are silent on issues such as libel, defamation, blasphemy, etc.; can you imagine their legal bill if they had to decide on such things?

they banned The Life of Brian back in the day on religious grounds so they clearly have toned things down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Muppets I was wondering why it is taken so long. I am mad to see it. So is it just in Ireland that they are not releasing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is this more along the lines of RTE giving in to John Waters / The Iona Institute during the marriage referendum? The cinema would probably win the case but could be caught up in an expensive legal battle for years that would probably cost them more than they would make from the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Will you fund their legal fees?

Great bunch of lads, the Germans - lets copy everything they have done.

Everything? Who wants to copy everything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sources so far are joe.ie and entertainment Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Twitter of the head of a few movies@ cinemas confirmed it but didn't say Scientology was the reason....

I want to see it also but will just wait for a download I'm sure...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Also The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/louis-theroux-my-scientology-movie-release-date-tom-cruise-ireland-blasphemy-laws-controversies-a7330271.html

Only broke yesterday, should see it on other dead tree news sources as times moves on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Cinemas are unwilling to show it out of fear that they may face litigation under the blasphemy laws. That is not to say that the movie has been banned due to our blasphemy laws.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, just merely pointing out the poor journalism. something all too common these days. Big sensational headlines and poor, badly researched content is prevalent these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cabaal wrote: »

It all seems to be stemming from a single tweet where a guy asked "is this to do with our blasphemy laws?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that same guys is cited as a source, with further info in the original article:
    "Graham Spurling, the owner of Movies@Dundrum, Movies@Swords, Movies@Gorey and SGC Dungarvan, informed us that as things stand, distributors aren't willing to screen the film because Ireland's blasphemy laws do not offer them any protection from potential litigation.

Spurling informs us that he hoped to do the LIVE Q&A event on Oct 10 but legislation has placed these plans in serious jeopardy."

if the above is to be believed, the tweet is not the only source of info.

this is outrageous!

although I expect it to be shown in the ifi and smithfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Orion wrote:

It'll be on sky movies in a year or so. We'll get to see it then.
    Life of Brian was banned in Ireland for around 20 years or so. Hard to believe now

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I'll get to see it long before Sky have it but that's entirely not the point. Why shouldn't it get a cinematic release?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Life of Brian was banned in Ireland for around 20 years or so. Hard to believe now

It doesn't matter if sky show it in 2 months time, we should have no such restriction in Ireland

You could get to see it right now if you got a flight from Ireland to a place showing it, but it doesn't deal with the fact that we have backwards legislation that has no place in a modern society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Cabaal wrote: »
    but it doesn't deal with the fact that we have backwards legislation that has no place in a modern society

A legislation ponied up in 2009 of all things... :/

Will it be a private prosecution brought? Or will the state press charges despite Scientology not being recognised as a religion here? I wonder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It all smells of Erring on the side of caution.

There was a big deal of it's cinematic release in Ireland on online media last week, now they are pulling back on it.

The costs to defend against defamation proceedings would be much higher than any potential fine for blasphemy.

• Advertisement

Will it be a private prosecution brought? Or will the state press charges despite Scientology not being recognised as a religion here? I wonder.

private

Advertisement