Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton T90 SR Silent.

• 25-09-2016 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Seen an ad on the telly the other day for triton and it was for a silent electric shower. I emidiatly wanted one as the current T90z is so loud it can be heard on the street. The shower is installed on a petitioned wall and makes it louder.

Am I right in thinking that the T90 SR is for low pressure cold water gravity feed systems that work with its obnoxious brother and can be a replacement for the T90 without the need for any other changes other that disconnecting the electrics and water feed.

Seems too good to be true silent shower no other heated water source. What do you all think of it and is there justification in the sound of silence. Where is the cheapest place to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have one in my own home & I've fitted over a hundred since launch. They make a slight hum but the water hitting the shower tray makes a louder sound than the shower itself. Much quieter than the mira qt. By miles the quietest pumped electric shower on the market.
    It's a t90. This means tank fed pumped electric shower so it's a direct replacement for your old t90.
    Woodies are 290 euro, 10 euro above the rrp for some reason. Chadwicks have them for 259 euro. Heatmerchants are 275 last time I asked.
    If you are in Dublin you can get them supplied & fitted for around 345 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have one in my own home & I've fitted over a hundred since launch. They make a slight hum but the water hitting the shower tray makes a louder sound than the shower itself. Much quieter than the mira qt. By miles the quietest pumped electric shower on the market.
    It's a t90. This means tank fed pumped electric shower so it's a direct replacement for your old t90.
    Woodies are 290 euro, 10 euro above the rrp for some reason. Chadwicks have them for 259 euro. Heatmerchants are 275 last time I asked.

I have been waiting for a silent electric shower for a good while I will be investing in one me thinks. Thanks for the offer sleeper I can install myself though. Not much wrong with the current shower besides the noise it makes. Bathroom was upgraded only about a year ago kept the T90 (5 years old) hoping that by the time it did break down there would be a quitter shower released. Is the SR out long? Do you know if anywhere would offer a trade in with the T90 or would it have any resale value?

The sr was launched in June. Can't say I've heard of anyone offering a trade in but you'll get 120 for a 2nd hand t90z or 100 for a 2nd hand t90xr on DoneDeal.ie assuming it's in good working order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any catch with them that they won't last as long or any other issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The shower is out 3 months.... How would anyone know if it has any inherent faults?

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    The shower is out 3 months.... How would anyone know if it has any inherent faults?

Hopefully this thread can advise if so!

The sr was launched in June. Can't say I've heard of anyone offering a trade in but you'll get 120 for a 2nd hand t90z or 100 for a 2nd hand t90xr on DoneDeal.ie assuming it's in good working order.

Works alright small amount of black on the inside from the motor. Thanks sleeper very helpful will have a look on DD see what condition others are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jca wrote: »

Usually when something radically different is launched people who know how they work will see either a big design flaw to make the system work or else recognize it as brilliant design.

I'd imagine it's either working quiet by high insulation around the pump or else a redesigned pump which could be rubbish.

Usually when something radically different is launched people who know how they work will see either a big design flaw to make the system work or else recognize it as brilliant design.

I'd imagine it's either working quiet by high insulation around the pump or else a redesigned pump which could be rubbish.

Lets hope someone in the know sciences it?

Anyone?

I seen on the site minimum pressure 1 bar. What would the minimum pressure be for a grave feed that is 12 foot long to shower with a drop of 4.5 feet. Must be a way to calculate.

They have a bldc motor. Statistically these have a longer lifespan than brush motors. But it's still early days yet
    jca wrote:
    Totally agree with you but by the time we had fitted 100 Mira elite Qt showers we had over 20 complaints so it's looking good so far.
    I seen on the site minimum pressure 1 bar. What would the minimum pressure be for a grave feed that is 12 foot long to shower with a drop of 4.5 feet. Must be a way to calculate.

Rule of thumb is quarter bar per floor / story. 2 story house, quarter bar if shower is upstairs and half bar if it is downstairs.
    If the shower head is even 1 inch lower than the bottom of the outlet for the attic tank it'll work with no issues.

• Advertisement

Rule of thumb is quarter bar per floor / story. 2 story house, quarter bar if shower is upstairs and half bar if it is downstairs.
    If the shower head is even 1 inch lower than the bottom of the outlet for the attic tank it'll work with no issues.

1 bar minimum just a recommendation then? I could have swore I seen the 1 bar minimum 10 bar max recommendation on the features list on the triton site last night after checking it out. Can not find it now and its saying minimum pressure 8cm the same as the T90z.

Showerhead usually about 28-38 inches below the outlet in use. BTW Also have one of those lime wizard water softeners connected on the feed. Installed about 1 year ago and still has the balls in the filter (checked yesterday) was told 6 months needs changing. There is a noticeable change in lime scale in the shower with that. I was sceptical about its use worth having one now.

1 bar minimum just a recommendation then? I could have swore I seen the 1 bar minimum 10 bar max recommendation on the features list on the triton site last night after checking it out. Can not find it now and its saying minimum pressure 8cm the same as the T90z.

I don't have the manual with me but if you are reading 1 bar min & 10 bar max I'm guessing you are reading specs for a mains fed shower. Tank fed has a max of 3/4 bar or 1 bar I can't remember which. Anything over this will blow the pump

Holy balls. That's a soothing sound might be in danger of falling asleep in the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Can this also be a replacement for Triton AS2000XT?

batman2000 wrote:
    Can this also be a replacement for Triton AS2000XT?

The triton as2000xt is a power shower, it takes already heated water and pumps it out at 14 litres per minute.
    The triton t90sr is an electric shower. It has only a cold feed and it heats the water and pumps it out around 4 litres per minute.
    To get a triton t90sr in would be a full new installation and you can expect to pay 600 to 700 all in. If it were me I'd keep the as2000xt and install the t90sr as well. Use the hot water in the cylinder when it's there and use the electric shower when no hot water in the cylinder.

I haven't heard anything through the trade but I would expect with the success of this silent motor that future as2000xt showers will have this new motor. It could be 2 or 3 years away yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Ok thanks for that, I was reading it was a electric pumped shower opposed to an electric shower.
    I hope they can transfer over the silent motor.

As an aside. the AS200XT has has a few problems, all replaced under warranty. Does Mirra do a similar model that might be less prone to problems.

batman2000 wrote:
    As an aside. the AS200XT has has a few problems, all replaced under warranty. Does Mirra do a similar model that might be less prone to problems.

Mira have the Mira vigour in the same price bracket as the as2000xt. Same sort of quality, certainly it's no better. It only comes with a 12 month warranty compared to tritons 24 months warranty.
    The real problem with Mira are the cost of replacement parts. If I were to replace every part in the vigour it would cost 700 just for parts. This is a shower you can get supplied and fitted for 365. No other shower manufacturer goes nuts on parts like Mira.
    I had to replace a Thermostatic cartridge in a 15 month old vigour last year and it was 265 supplied and fitted, only 100 cheaper than a whole shower supplied and fitted. If it was a triton as2000xt it would have been under warranty but even if it wasn't it would have cost 130 supplied and fitted.
    I have great difficulty recommending Mira electric or power showers because of this spare parts rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From a layman point of view - The only reservation I'd have is that brushless motors require more electronic components to control them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kamila jelinkova

Just brought one it was a replacement for T90 Si model . Old shower seen better days so I replaced it with the new silent type. Worked out well got the hubby to do it.Did not need to change any pipe work.It really was plug and play.

• Advertisement

Just brought one it was a replacement for T90 Si model . Old shower seen better days so I replaced it with the new silent type. Worked out well got the hubby to do it.Did not need to change any pipe work.It really was plug and play.

How impressed are you with the silence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wow, just had one installed last night and these things are ridiculously silent I cant get over it!

In a rented house, the Triton T90si that finally gave up the ghost was 15 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JouceMc

Seen an ad on the telly the other day for triton and it was for a silent electric shower. I emidiatly wanted one as the current T90z is so loud it can be heard on the street. The shower is installed on a petitioned wall and makes it louder.

Am I right in thinking that the T90 SR is for low pressure cold water gravity feed systems that work with its obnoxious brother and can be a replacement for the T90 without the need for any other changes other that disconnecting the electrics and water feed.

Seems too good to be true silent shower no other heated water source. What do you all think of it and is there justification in the sound of silence. Where is the cheapest place to buy?

Hi sleeper do you supply and fit them ? If so how much for two Trition silents ? Also is their much cosmetic work to times afterwards ? And also total cost please ?

JouceMc wrote: »
    Hi sleeper do you supply and fit them ? If so how much for two Trition silents ? Also is their much cosmetic work to times afterwards ? And also total cost please ?

PM Sent

For anyone thinking on installing more than one electric shower, you can only ever use one at a time. Using 2 or more together will run the risk of blowing the fuse on the ESB side of the meter. The ESB have to come out to replace this fuse. I've sen this happen one Christmas Eve. They were a few hours without electricity. I wonder what would have happened if it blew Christmas day. Dinner ruined etc.
    So long as you don't run both together all is fine. You can get a priority fuse installed & this will only let you use one shower at a time. These boards cost around €120/€150 last time I looked. In your own home you mightn't need one but they are a must in rented property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭tedimc

I'm looking to install a T90 SR, but I don't have a gravity fed system. The water is in tanks and pumped up from the basement.

The pumps run at 3bar. Could I run one of these off the cold supply?

I looked on the triton site but can't find max inlet pressure anywhere. If the 3 bar was too high, I could always fit a PRV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

Folks. I would like to replace my old Mira Elite 2 with a Triton T90 SR Silent. Do you think it would be much hassle from a plumbing and electrical perspective? The wall is fully tiled behind the shower unit. Thanks.

Bif wrote:
    Folks. I would like to replace my old Mira Elite 2 with a Triton T90 SR Silent. Do you think it would be much hassle from a plumbing and electrical perspective? The wall is fully tiled behind the shower unit. Thanks.

If you have a few inches free to the right of the shower then it's not a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I like the sound of this bad boy.
    I work shifts and am up very early in the morning, and use the electric shower upstairs to avoid waking the house.

It is on a stud wall and it quite noisy, and anything to reduce the noise at 6am would be great. Might look into changing it out.

Is it a DIY job?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I like the sound of this bad boy.
    I work shifts and am up very early in the morning, and use the electric shower upstairs to avoid waking the house.

It is on a stud wall and it quite noisy, and anything to reduce the noise at 6am would be great. Might look into changing it out.

Is it a DIY job?

If you have a similar T90 it should be straight swap. Otherwise it may be new drill holes with a tile bit.

• Advertisement

If you have a few inches free to the right of the shower then it's not a problem
    Thanks. Will check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you have a similar T90 it should be straight swap. Otherwise it may be new drill holes with a tile bit.

My current shower is a T90si, so I assume straight swap?

YjkwNjBlNzc5ZDAxODk4NzY4M2ZlMDJkODhiZTk5ZTcAxphvRzwRghv5EFRKwUy7aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMWM0YjYxMzczNjBmMTA5YjhjM2ZiNTc4NTZjYWFlN2I1YzRjMjJiNTQyMmI5YmE2MTI4ZDZjZmY2ZGRlMDY5OC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTIyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

NIMAN wrote:
    My current shower is a T90si, so I assume straight swap?

Plumbing and electric are the same. You'll have to drill the tiles to pin it to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aerodynamix

We have an old T90si in the ensuite which broke a few years ago and hasn't been replaced yet. We are thinking of putting the new one in the main bathroom instead, so everyone can use it more easily. Would this be the same cost as putting in a completely new electric shower or are there any savings from the piping already there from the ensuite? The 2 bathrooms are not back to back.

We have an old T90si in the ensuite which broke a few years ago and hasn't been replaced yet. We are thinking of putting the new one in the main bathroom instead, so everyone can use it more easily. Would this be the same cost as putting in a completely new electric shower or are there any savings from the piping already there from the ensuite? The 2 bathrooms are not back to back.

As opposed to not being there, do you mean? If you have no plumbing or electrics in the spot it would be installed it would cost more unless you find an installer that would offer it for free. The cost of the shower will still be the same regardless of your plumbing. :confused:

Yeah I meant the installation costs, was wondering if the plumbing and electrics already in the attic from the ensuite are any benefit or if it would still cost 600-700 to get it in the main bathroom (price mentioned here for completely new installation).

• Advertisement

Yeah I meant the installation costs, was wondering if the plumbing and electrics already in the attic from the ensuite are any benefit or if it would still cost 600-700 to get it in the main bathroom (price mentioned here for completely new installation).

It should cut down on the cost however the REC may insist on upgrading from 6mm cable to 10mm cable if you only have 6mm. This wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run

It should cut down on the cost however the REC may insist on upgrading from 6mm cable to 10mm cable if you only have 6mm. This wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run

Thanks

Job now complete. Well pleased and thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lexie72

Hi, I had one of these triton silent showers fitted yesterday. We only discovered today when wanting to use it that the water doesn't get hot. The guy who installed it (a friend of a friend) told us to let it run for 20 mins as it was only new!!! Made little sense to me but I'm no expert so we let it run for 40 mins but water is still not hot. The pressure is fine or at least the same as our old shower. Does this would like a faulty shower or am I doing something wrong? Except perhaps not employing a professional plumber...!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Was this a replacement or fitted in a new position?
    Letting it run for so long makes little sense to me also. Sounds faulty, but I'm not sure how the warranty will work out.
    There are a few knowledgable lads on here who will be able to give you good advice. Answering my question may be helpful to them.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Lexie72 wrote: »
    Hi, I had one of these triton silent showers fitted yesterday. We only discovered today when wanting to use it that the water doesn't get hot. The guy who installed it (a friend of a friend) told us to let it run for 20 mins as it was only new!!! Made little sense to me but I'm no expert so we let it run for 40 mins but water is still not hot. The pressure is fine or at least the same as our old shower. Does this would like a faulty shower or am I doing something wrong? Except perhaps not employing a professional plumber...!!!!
    I think there is a small switch inside the unit which needs to be activated when commissioning that may be the issue. I could be wrong. Have a read of the manual and ask the guy who fitted it did he follow the commissioning procedure.

Lexie72 wrote: »

If he read the instructions it says that its rated 15 mins on & 45 mins off so what he said makes no sense. Chap doesn't know what he's doing & it's illegal for him to replace showers. It illegal for a homeowner to replace showers too. It's restricted works. He can be prosecuted, fined & get a prison sentence believe it of not.

There is a commissioning pin needs to be moved. Do this with the power off. If this isn't the problem it's most likely a faulty TCO. If the friend of a friend knew what he was doing he could have tested this with a multi meter. If it is the TCO ring the number on the shower & they will repair it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Lexie72 wrote:

The fault is almost diffently the commissioning pin.
    I would recommend you get the install checked by a registered electrician as more than likely the wrong size cable is supplying the shower. When you get a shower installed it is legally required to have a registered electrician complete the Electrical works and the REC must issue a cert for the works. Was there any testing completed on the Electrical side of the installation, do you know if it's rcd protected and if so does that rcd trip within the required times. The RCD is the only life saving device in your fuse board diffently worth having it tested plus it has to be tested by law when fitting a new shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 suirthing

I had one of these fitted yesterday to replace a noisy T90zr, which also happens to be fitted on a stud wall, the difference is amazing - no noise at all from either shower or wall!! HOWEVER - the water pressure from the SR is lower than the ZR, i assumed it would be the same. Im talking about when you are actually taking a showere - the flow of water is not as strong. Is there any way to increase the pressure or am i stuck with it?

dk

Pressure is actually better from the Sr it's. Half a kW more powerful. The difference is the shower head. Try use a different setting on the head or try using the old head. You'll see that the pressure is actually better.

Hi Sleeper12, thanks for that info. I did try the different settings but not the old head, will change it tonite and report back! Thanks for the info!

Yes the old head is a massive improvement, thanks for the tip

suirthing wrote:
    Yes the old head is a massive improvement, thanks for the tip

I'll have to change my name to the shower whisperer. :)

This shower has been on the market 12 months now and we've installed over 600 to date. We've had 4 repaired under warranty so far. Two motors, one solenoid and one heating can. That's a fail rate of less than 1 percent. It's actually closer to a half per.
    This is proving to be the most reliable pumped electric shower we've ever had so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

colm_mcm wrote: »
    From a layman point of view - The only reservation I'd have is that brushless motors require more electronic components to control them.

They might have more electronics, but its not necessarily an essential to have a lot more electronic components. The amount of electronic components may be limited to a capacitor to start rotation, I'm guessing there may be a small PCB though. It would seem to make sense that a brushless motor might make less noise. I'm sure I could get turned on, but what I think would be a good idea is a latched power supply. It might not be needed often but I think it'd be very useful for when it is needed, especially in a shared/rented place.
    If he read the instructions it says that its rated 15 mins on & 45 mins off so what he said makes no sense. Chap doesn't know what he's doing & it's illegal for him to replace showers. It illegal for a homeowner to replace showers too. It's restricted works. He can be prosecuted, fined & get a prison sentence believe it of not.

I know there were changes to the regulations, but I never interpreted that as meaning a person couldn't replace a component (even such as a shower) in an existing installation, the person you replied to seems to suggest that the installation is new, but it could have been a replacement.
    There is nothing to suggest the installer aren't an electrician nor RECi, they probably aren't, but I had difficulty convincing an electrician to fit a 10mm cable to a relatives shower when I discovered they were fitting a 6mm one.

I looked at the regulations at the time myself, and the wording of one pamphlet I saw at the time seemed to suggest you weren't allowed do any electrical work, although in the regulations was that only new installations or certain modifications were not allowed.
    I did the initial installation of my own electric shower 20 years ago and I replaced the original triton shower and one 2 pole switch that wore out. It's probably less likely to need replacing but I consider any regulation that prevents me from replacing an RCD or even carrying out the entire installation is for a limited set of reasons, when I could lock out a 3 phase supply in work where the Line Voltage is 400 Volts to replace a 3 phase motor.

Really the UK regulations, the last I looked make more sense and a competent person could fit electrical equipment there. With the instructions included with a shower, it'd be difficult for anyone but a completely inexperienced DIYer to go wrong. Having said that, if someone has no experience or understanding of electrics or working with it, I'd say stay away, but the regulations dont seem to just prevent competent persons from carrying out work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement