Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton T90 SR Silent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1874 wrote:
    I know there were changes to the regulations, but I never interpreted that as meaning a person couldn't replace a component (even such as a shower) in an existing installation, the person you replied to seems to suggest that the installation is new, but it could have been a replacement. There is nothing to suggest the installer aren't an electrician nor RECi, they probably aren't, but I had difficulty convincing an electrician to fit a 10mm cable to a relatives shower when I discovered they were fitting a 6mm one.

Under the regulations only a REC can replace a shower or replace parts. It's not that you wouldn't be able. Under the regulations whoever changes parts takes responsibility for the whole installation, right back to the fuse. Basically they are using replacing showers as a way to clean up the mess that we have in a lot of homes.
    6mm is still good up to 15 metres so long as it's not in insulation. Plenty of RECs still using 6mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Under the regulations only a REC can replace a shower or replace parts. It's not that you wouldn't be able. Under the regulations whoever changes parts takes responsibility for the whole installation, right back to the fuse. Basically they are using replacing showers as a way to clean up the mess that we have in a lot of homes. 6mm is still good up to 15 metres so long as it's not in insulation. Plenty of RECs still using 6mm

If the cable goes into the attic or is chased into a wall any where 6mm is not OK to use must be 10mm. Once the cable is in the attic you have to assume it will be covered in insulation, this derates the cable significantly making 10mm necessary to use. Even if it's only a 5mtr cable if going threw an attic it needs 10mm for new showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Ivory

Thanks for sharing a video. It is excellent as I need a new shower! But a plumber told me one of his customers had to bring it back the Triton 3 times so far because of issues.

Apparently they would have rushed the design and did not make easy access filters like Mira and the parts are not strong enough to last (?)

Does anyone have feedback on this?

Thanks!

John Ivory wrote:
    Thanks for sharing a video. It is excellent as I need a new shower! But a plumber told me one of his customers had to bring it back the Triton 3 times so far because of issues.

I'm a totally independent installer. Triton, mira and Aqualisa don't deal with "the trades". We have to do our own deals with plumbing suppliers like chadwicks, heatmerchants etc so I have no vested interest in this.

No one brings showers shower so back to triton or mira. They send their engineers out to repair the shower one the wall. Maybe that is what the plumber had meant to say.
    We have been fitting these for 15 months now,We are getting close to 1000 installed and we've had less than a 1 percent complaint rate. . It's actually closer to a half percent than 1 percent.
    The only part that triton changed inside the triton t90 was the motor. All the other parts have been used in triton t90 showers for at least 10 years. Some parts they have been using for 17 years. so it's been very well tested. The triton t90 has been the most popular and trouble free pumped electric shower in the Ireland for over 20 years so they didn't need to replace many parts.
    John Ivory wrote:
    Apparently they would have rushed the design and did not make easy access filters like Mira and the parts are not strong enough to last (?)

The Triton T90sr took 2 years from design stage to the launch. It's a very well tested machine.
    Mira changed the access to the filter because the plastic casing was cracking & breaking when the homeowner was removing the cover on the mira elite.
    The problem with the mira elite is that they changed every part in the new mira elite qt to try catch up with Triton. So every part in the mira elite qt is new to the market. They used the market to test this shower and boy did that back fire. At some stages we have had a 20 percent complaint rate. The plastic is still very cheap and cracks and breaks. The motor has been a disaster. Typical complaints are "it sounds like a tractor", "it sounds like a dentist drill" and my personal favourite from a plumbing group on Facebook "75 percent quieter than what? A train?"
    The biggest issue is leaking at the bottom of the pump.
    John Ivory wrote:
    Does anyone have feedback on this?

Have a read here & make your own mind up

Mira Elite QT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I was sold on it myself long ago just waiting on the T90z to break might be a while yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gaz1676

Lexie72 wrote: »
    Hi, I had one of these triton silent showers fitted yesterday. We only discovered today when wanting to use it that the water doesn't get hot. The guy who installed it (a friend of a friend) told us to let it run for 20 mins as it was only new!!! Made little sense to me but I'm no expert so we let it run for 40 mins but water is still not hot. The pressure is fine or at least the same as our old shower. Does this would like a faulty shower or am I doing something wrong? Except perhaps not employing a professional plumber...!!!!

Can't post a link but google manual for Triton T90SR and look on page 12 fig. 14

It shows the piece you have to move. It says commision off pump on

this will fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭brock92

Is €249 a good price for the T90sr shower? Or has anyone seen lower anywhere
    Thanks

Edit:
    Have found Mcmahons.ie selling it for €234

brock92 wrote:
    Edit: Have found Mcmahons.ie selling it for €234

Heatmerchants are 240. You can collect your so no delivery from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

B and Q 229 euro with a club card until the 02/11/2017

• Advertisement

agusta wrote:
    B and Q 229 euro with a club card until the 02/11/2017

This is an excellent price. They buy them in for 218. They aren't making much profit here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is an excellent price. They buy them in for 218. They aren't making much profit here

A yes, but as soon as they sell you a few copper fittings or a wrench they’ve doubled their profit!

I agree,i paid 245 euro 6 weeks ago which was fine.if someone buys a shower in B and Q they will more than likely buy a few more things with it

colm_mcm wrote: »
    A yes, but as soon as they sell you a few copper fittings or a wrench they’ve doubled their profit!
    some of the plumbing merchants do this too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I had a T90Sr installed a year or more ago. In the past week it has just started acting up. No pressure and no heat.
    Poking around on the web seems to indicate that it could need the TCO (Thermal cut out) replaced.
    I attached a picture.

Seems easy enough to replace.
    Is this the way to go?
    Thanks

BraveDonut wrote:
    I had a T90Sr installed a year or more ago. In the past week it has just started acting up. No pressure and no heat. Poking around on the web seems to indicate that it could need the TCO (Thermal cut out) replaced. I attached a picture.

If there is not enough pressure then the pressure switch won't send electricity to the element. It does not sound like the TCO

Make sure that the filter is clean. Remove the hose and head & and run the shower. If it's still not working ring Triton 01 6286711 on Monday and they will repair it for free under the 2 year parts and labour warranty. Shower isn't out 18 months yet so it's definitely under warranty.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - very helpful.
    I will get onto them first thing Monday.

Called that number on Monday. They sent a guy out yesterday.
    He replaced the pump - under warranty.
    Very happy.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so, B&Q have the T90 9kw Sr, the Mira QT 9kw and the QT 9.9kw for in and around the same price.
    I take it the T90 is the one to go for ?

RobAMerc wrote:
    so, B&Q have the T90 9kw Sr, the Mira QT 9kw and the QT 9.9kw for in and around the same price. I take it the T90 is the one to go for ?

If you are replacing an existing shower you don't want to go higher than 9kw unless you have 10mm cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Liffey Providers off the Greenhills Road are selling the Triton T90sr for €219.95 at the moment.

• Advertisement

Pete67 wrote: »
    Liffey Providers off the Greenhills Road are selling the Triton T90sr for €219.95 at the moment.

WOW! Great deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

That's great thanks - I know this is a T90 SR forum but is it a better shower than the Mira QT?

RobAMerc wrote:
    That's great thanks - I know this is a T90 SR forum but is it a better shower than the Mira QT?

Search for the mira elite qt forum. You'll be answer there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 borki

Hi.

We got T90sr installed only yesterday,replacing T90xr.
    Easy replacement and very quiet shower, but water flow is nothing close to the old T90xr.
    Pump is running ok,water is getting heated,but water pressure coming out of shower is very disappointing.

Tried different showerhead and it is the same.

borki wrote: »
    Hi.

Easy replacement and very quiet shower, but water flow is nothing close to the old T90xr.
    Pump is running ok,water is getting heated,but water pressure coming out of shower is very disappointing.

Your old T90XR was most likely 8.5KW & your new t90SR is 9KW. If anything the water pressure should be better from the Triton T90SR as it's a higher KW. the new shower head can be deceiving but if you tried it with the old head then it can't be that.

Have you tried calling back the installer? If there was a problem with the shower then the installer would have noticed during the checklist part of the commissioning / installation. This leaves me to think an error on the installers part in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 11 borki

Your old T90XR was most likely 8.5KW & your new t90SR is 9KW. If anything the water pressure should be better from the Triton T90SR as it's a higher KW. the new shower head can be deceiving but if you tried it with the old head then it can't be that.

Have you tried calling back the installer? If there was a problem with the shower then the installer would have noticed during the checklist part of the commissioning / installation. This leaves me to think an error on the installers part in this case

Thank you very much for you reply.
    Haven't called him back as i mentioned this to him when he finished the job, so he re-checked everything again and said that as frominstallation point of view everything is ok.It was his first sr shower fitted,so he couldn't tellif flow is ok or not.Not sure what else should be checked.Pump is working as i can hear it running.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gokster

Hi there

I installed a new Sr four weeks ago and keep getting called down to bathroom as the switch isnt working properly... sometime holding it in does the trick or sometime rotating either of the control dials while holding it seems to work...

Faulty switch or more fundamental?

gokster wrote: »
    Hi there

I installed a new Sr four weeks ago and keep getting called down to bathroom as the switch isnt working properly... sometime holding it in does the trick or sometime rotating either of the control dials while holding it seems to work...

Faulty switch or more fundamental?

I think you'll find that the tiles aren't level & the shower is bent out of shape .

Turn off the power and remove the cover. Locate the power switch on the shower. There are three screws on the plastic piece that holds the switch in place. Loosen these screws a half turn and that should fix the problem

If the shower turns on and off without issue without the cover then it's definitely the tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Damoedge

borki wrote: »
    Hi.

I am the exact same here too, i have tried two different shower heads and still the same pressure.... i think from what i have read here about it being 9.5Kw id say thats got to do with the heating element and not the pump pressure

Even the plumber noticed it too but at the time i thought nothing of it....

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Thanks all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Funny enough I was up with my electrician mate who was installing an sr in a rental for me and water pressure was very low. It was the first of these that he had installed.
    We looked at it and copped the was some seal or other that had to be set (I'm sorry but I can't remember offhand).
    It was something just to the left of the heat set dial and of I can remember correctly it was in the instruction manual. My mate said this was the first time he had seen as he had only installed the older models. Sorry for being vague but I can't quite remember all the details but it was an easy fix.

• Advertisement

It is called the commission link.
    During the commissioning process the shower is flushed out of debris and to make sure the heater unit contains water before the elements are switched on.The shower pump is off for this process
    After this process is done the commission link has to be moved to the off position.this will turn the pump to the on position.

See commissioning in the manual and fig. 14

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Damoedge

agusta wrote: »
    It is called the commission link.
    During the commissioning process the shower is flushed out of debris and to make sure the heater unit contains water before the elements are switched on.The shower pump is off for this process
    After this process is done the commission link has to be moved to the off position.this will turn the pump to the on position.

See commissioning in the manual and fig. 14

So really this would have nothing to do with pressure then?

commission link in ON position = pump off = no pressure
    commission link in 0FF position = pump on

Damoedge wrote: »
    So really this would have nothing to do with pressure then?

No nothing to do with the pressure. A 9KW shower Mira or Triton will only put out about 3 litres per minute at this time of the year because the water in the attic tank is so cold.

Try using the old shower head if you still have it

Triton t90 sr are 199.99 in woodies until 3rd jan

agusta wrote:
    Triton t90 sr are 199.99 in woodies until 3rd jan

Really great price. I'm looking online & it's showing out of stock online and in all their stores. Might be a glitch. I'll see if I can get some in store tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

@ Sleeper12

Do you know is the footprint the same as the Triton 900Pi? I have one of them in my house since new in 2005 and never worked right. Like a auld diesel truck when running on the studded wall and terrible water pressure no matter what shower head fitted.

Young lad kept it running when the water was off over the Christmas so its dead now anyway.

Might be time for the new T90SR silent.

Do you know is the footprint the same as the Triton 900Pi? I have one of them in my house since new in 2005 and never worked right. Like a auld diesel truck when running on the studded wall and terrible water pressure no matter what shower head fitted.

Triton t900pi is the same footprint as the mira elite qt.

Assuming that the t900pi is tiled behind you should be able to replace it with a triton t90sr. Same power & water inlet, bottom left

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nealrythere

Hi, I know this is a similar question that has been asked a million times. My Mira Elite 2 has also finally packed it in. There is a lot of water leaking from the bottom and when I opened it up last night I could see the water(spraying) inside is getting scarily close to the motor and electrics. I want to replace it with something equally as powerful, quiet would be a bonus, but I'm more interested in the power. It's a 9.8kw version. I saw Sleeper12 mention before not to go over this unless you have a certain type of cable.... How do you know which type of cable you have? I have enough space to put in landscape, so any size replacement is an option.

Also...I need to to put in new extractor fans. I have bought an inline one(that goes up in the attic). Is this something the person installing the shower could do?

Thanks

• Advertisement

The mira elite is 9.8kw at 240 volts. In Ireland it's actually 9kw at 230 volts. What you are looking for is a mira elite qt, triton t900pi or a triton t90sr. All three are 9kw.

My choice is the triton t90sr

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nealrythere

Thanks. Do you happen to know of good reputable installers near celbridge?

Thanks. Do you happen to know of good reputable installers near celbridge?

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

have the issues with the Mira being replaced?

or Mira Elite is packing it in so need to get a replacement. a portrait one would fit best.

what's the triton t900pi like? fitting wise are the cable and pipe around the same location as the MIR

ted1 wrote: »
    have the issues with the Mira being replaced?

or Mira Elite is packing it in so need to get a replacement. a portrait one would fit best.

what's the triton t900pi like? fitting wise are the cable and pipe around the same location as the MIR

I bought 30 Mira Elite QT showers a few weeks back. Only starting to get around to fit this lot as I already had some in stock. The first out of the 30 had a faulty pump. The second out of the 30 had a faulty pump. The third one out of the 30 is in the youtube video. I have 27 left to fit over the next few months & I'm not looking forward to it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Fitted a Triton t90sr last night and very happy with it so far. I have to press the on/off quite hard to get it to come on but I'll check the fitting of the cover later in case its not right. I had a Mira Sprint before this and it kinda broke my heart because it was mains fed and for the most part the water pressure was sh1te. It probably would have been ok if I had switched to tank fed with a pump but after reading this thread I decided to go with the Triton. If anyone wants the old one you can have it for free + post. Send me a PM. Thanks for all the info @ Sleeper12

• Advertisement

The on /off switch suffers if that's shower isn't dead flat on the wall. Try loosen the screws pinning it to the wall a quarter or half turn. If this doesn't help loosen the 3 screws inside the shower holding the switch in. Again a half turn should be enough. The switch is unforgiving if everything isn't perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

The on /off switch suffers if that's shower isn't dead flat on the wall. Try loosen the screws pinning it to the wall a quarter or half turn. If this doesn't help loosen the 3 screws inside the shower holding the switch in. Again a half turn should be enough. The switch is unforgiving if everything isn't perfect

Nice one, I'll try that later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Anyone any photos of switching from a Mira Elite to a Triton 90SR? I want to see what holes are exposed or should I chance with an Elite QR?

First thing you need to do is see what's behind your shower. I've added some photos of what you don't want to see.

If the gap / hole in the tiles is less than the size of the Triton T90SR then you are good to go.

This family were determined to get away from Mira. They added a tile afterwards.

Usually there is a 2 or 3 inch hole for the pipe & cable. This would be straight forward swap then. You'd have 2 small screw holes exposed but a tiny blob of silicone hides this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement