Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triton T90 SR Silent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Thanks guys, this is really helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The on /off switch suffers if that's shower isn't dead flat on the wall. Try loosen the screws pinning it to the wall a quarter or half turn. If this doesn't help loosen the 3 screws inside the shower holding the switch in. Again a half turn should be enough. The switch is unforgiving if everything isn't perfect

Just slackened off the wall screws there a touch and all seems good now. Thanks very much for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I'm need to replace a T90 SI with a T90 SR - straight swap.

It looks fairly straightforward but I believe that it must done by a REC.

How long should it take? How much should it cost?

Also, where is currently the cheapest place to but one?
    Looks like McMahons.ie for €234.99 but in case anyone has seen it cheaper someplace else. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Price changes a lot from county to county. In Dublin a straight swap starts at 330 supplied & fitted & goes up depending on what extra is required. Tripswitch might need replacing. The tails at the meter might need upgrading. Best get a few prices

Thanks Sleeper12! And for all the advice you have given in this thread - fair play!

I'm going to buy the shower unit myself, so its purely remove the old on / fit the new one.

How long should that take - when you know what you are doing - assuming its a straight swap (nothing needs replacing/upgrading)?

At the very most 1 hours labour? How much is 1 hours labour? I'm in Galway. Thanks.

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Thanks Sleeper12! And for all the advice you have given in this thread - fair play!

I'm going to buy the shower unit myself, so its purely remove the old on / fit the new one.

How long should that take - when you know what you are doing - assuming its a straight swap (nothing needs replacing/upgrading)?

At the very most 1 hours labour? How much is 1 hours labour? I'm in Galway. Thanks.

Assuming it's straight forward replacement it shouldn't take more than an hour. Best thing is to get on RECI website & ring 3 local guys from their list. There's tons of electricians wont work with water so some might quote for a plumber & electrician. It might work out cheaper for them to supply & fit as they claim back 23 % vat & charge you 13.5 % vat. I would hazard a guess that you are talking at least 100 euro if you supply but you might end up paying double that. It all depends on how busy the local guys are & how far they have to travel

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Looks like McMahons.ie for €234.99 but in case anyone has seen it cheaper someplace else. Thanks.
    The price at Woodies (surprise surprise) can fluctuate between 219 and 249, I picked one up for 219 in the last couple of weeks (I had to collect in-store). McMahons was next cheapest, and delivery is free

Spocker wrote: »

The price at Woodies (surprise surprise) can fluctuate between 219 and 249, I picked one up for 219 in the last couple of weeks (I had to collect in-store). McMahons was next cheapest, and delivery is free
    Thanks. €249 at the minute in Woodies and was €199 in Woodies just after Christmas.

Thanks. €249 at the minute in Woodies and was €199 in Woodies just after Christmas.

Most likely too late for you now but I heard a whisper that Woodies are selling the Triton T90SR for 209.99 from tomorrow till Monday.

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Most likely too late for you now but I heard a whisper that Woodies are selling the Triton T90SR for 209.99 from tomorrow till Monday.

Confirmed, €209 now, Online Only price: https://www.woodies.ie/triton-t90sr-9kw-silent-pumped-electric-shower-1128888

• Advertisement

And Delivery only too for €5 - Click & Collect not available.
    So all in price is €214 which is still the cheapest at the minute by €21 (Currently McMahons.ie have it for €234.99).

Many Thanks Sleeper12 & Spocker for the heads up! Appreciate it!

Benbecul97 wrote:
    Many Thanks Sleeper12 & Spocker for the heads up! Appreciate it!

Here's another heads up. The wholesale price on triton products went up 5 percent in the last week or so. That'll put another 10 or so on the a t90sr by the time it filers down to the customer in the area few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Howdy all, just wondering if anybody can help me out.
    I swapped out my old t90 (over 10 years old) for the sr yesterday.

I went through the commissioning process, i.e. put in the pump connector and primed it. (make sure shower is set to cold)

When I switched it on no water came out and there is a load screeching noise coming from the motor.

I rang Triton and they are sending out a technician to look at it but that will take 4 to 5 working days. Anybody else ever had this issue ?

Howdy all, just wondering if anybody can help me out.
    I swapped out my old t90 (over 10 years old) for the sr yesterday.

I went through the commissioning process, i.e. put in the pump connector and primed it. (make sure shower is set to cold)

When I switched it on no water came out and there is a load screeching noise coming from the motor.

I rang Triton and they are sending out a technician to look at it but that will take 4 to 5 working days. Anybody else ever had this issue ?

The pump needs a flow of water to get it started as it's a brushless motor. Did you get a flow of water at the bleed valve on the pump?

If you have a flow of water at the pump then most likely the solenoid coil is faulty. If the coil can't open the pump can make all sorts of noise. You can put the old solinoid coil on your new shower while you wait for Triton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The pump needs a flow of water to get it started as it's a brushless motor. Did you get a flow of water at the bleed valve on the pump?

If you have a flow of water at the pump then most likely the solenoid coil is faulty. If the coil can't open the pump can make all sorts of noise. You can put the old solinoid coil on your new shower while you wait for Triton

Yep there is defiantly water flow, water came out at the bleed valve.

Like you say to me it looks like either no water is getting to the pump or the pump is not working. I thought it might be the solinoid alright. If I swap it out while waiting will that not invalidate my warranty ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Like you say to me it looks like either no water is getting to the pump or the pump is not working. I thought it might be the solinoid alright. If I swap it out while waiting will that not invalidate my warranty ?

It could do, Prob best not to if It's only a couple of days!

I won't tell them if you don't tell them :)

Confirmed, €209 now, Online Only price: https://www.woodies.ie/triton-t90sr-9kw-silent-pumped-electric-shower-1128888
    Were out of stock yesterday at €209. Back online today at €239 - online and instore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, this guy is boggin' his arm in
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/kitchenappliances-for-sale/triton-t90sr-fully-fitted/18429303

€600 to fit a T90SR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

NIMAN wrote: »

That price sounds like if you’re starting from scratch. He does change overs for €330 which is good as long as it includes the price of the shower.

Assuming it's straight forward replacement it shouldn't take more than an hour. Best thing is to get on RECI website & ring 3 local guys from their list. There's tons of electricians wont work with water so some might quote for a plumber & electrician. It might work out cheaper for them to supply & fit as they claim back 23 % vat & charge you 13.5 % vat. I would hazard a guess that you are talking at least 100 euro if you supply but you might end up paying double that. It all depends on how busy the local guys are & how far they have to travel
    Close enough! €80 to fit it, €214 for the shower so all in for under €300, not too Xabi!

Benbecul97 wrote:
    Close enough! €80 to fit it, €214 for the shower so all in for under €300, not too Xabi!

I would think 80 a little too cheap so I'm guessing no vat receipt.

I'd also check the trip switch. It should be a 40amp rcbo. There is a test button on it and you should test it every 3 months or so

Benbecul97 wrote:

I would think 80 a little too cheap so I'm guessing no vat receipt.

I'd also check the trip switch. It should be a 40amp rcbo. There is a test button on it and you should test it every 3 months or so
    €80 for less than an hours work? Nothing too cheap about that in my book.

Almost 10 euro in vat brings it to 70 euro. He also has to pay for the certificate that he left you.

I'd be wary of the quality of the testing that would be carried out with someone so cheap.

He might have done everything right. I'd just be wary. Is the rcbo 40 amp? Did he comment on the cable size going from a 8.5kw to a 9kw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

I've just moved into a new build with a Triton T90sr just installed. Tried it for the first time this evening and no heat from it.
    The temperature (bottom) dial moves but the top dial won't switch 1 or 2, it's like it's jammed.
    I'm nervous about forcing it.

Am I missing something obvious here?

• Advertisement

Conar wrote:
    I've just moved into a new build with a Triton T90sr just installed. Tried it for the first time this evening and no heat from it. The temperature (bottom) dial moves but the top dial won't switch 1 or 2, it's like it's jammed. I'm nervous about forcing it.

Turn off the power & remove the cover. There is a dial top center of the shower. There is a tiny screw in it holding the dial on cold for the commissioning process. We call it the idiot screw because when you do 5 of these a day & you forget to remove the screw you feel like an idiot.
    The installer didn't remove it. This means that he didn't test the shower either but that's not the end of the world. Remove the screw & put the cover back on. Shower should run fine now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Conar

Turn off the power & remove the cover. There is a dial top center of the shower. There is a tiny screw in it holding the dial on cold for the commissioning process. We call it the idiot screw because when you do 5 of these a day & you forget to remove the screw you feel like an idiot.
    The installer didn't remove it. This means that he didn't test the shower either but that's not the end of the world. Remove the screw & put the cover back on. Shower should run fine now

Cheers for that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Our old Triton T90si has just died after about 12 years use so it appears that a T90SR is the direct replacement and also the most reliable. Our regular electrician is away for the next 2 weeks and we can’t really wait until then, can anyone recommend a competent qualified installer that covers Dublin 16?

Woodies have them for €239 at the moment, am I better buying it myself or letting the electrican supply and fit?

quenching wrote:
    Woodies have them for €239 at the moment, am I better buying it myself or letting the electrican supply and fit?

It's usually better for the tradesman to supply the materials. The main reason is if you supply then he's only responsible for his work. If he supplies then he's responsible for his work and the shower itself.

Triton have a fantastic aftercare service but personally I'd prefer to have the installer responsible. I've seen something going wrong with the shower and triton come out under warranty & say that it is the installers fault. Installer says its triton. Much simpler having the installer responsible for the whole job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

It's usually better for the tradesman to supply the materials. The main reason is if you supply then he's only responsible for his work. If he supplies then he's responsible for his work and the shower itself.

Triton have a fantastic aftercare service but personally I'd prefer to have the installer responsible. I've seen something going wrong with the shower and triton come out under warranty & say that it is the installers fault. Installer says its triton. Much simpler having the installer responsible for the whole job

Very good point, have I read in his thread that you can supply and fit? If so could you PM a price and contact details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I am looking to fit an electric shower for the first time. There is a drop from the water tank of about 4m, can anyone tell me whether in need a pumped electric shower or could I do it with just an electric?

kig wrote:
    I am looking to fit an electric shower for the first time. There is a drop from the water tank of about 4m, can anyone tell me whether in need a pumped electric shower or could I do it with just an electric?

Pumped electric from the tank is what you need. The Triton t90sr cuts out the biggest drawback of a Pumped electric shower, the noise.

You can use a mains fed shower off a tank but you'll need a four story drop to get enough pressure to active the pressure switch for warm water

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

The other shower that I was thinking about was the mira sport max, but cannot find any info on noise levels.

kig wrote:
    The other shower that I was thinking about was the mira sport max, but cannot find any info on noise levels.

It's a mains fed shower. No motor at all so very little noise but you'll need around a bar of pressure to get it to heat water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

We renovated a bathroom for my Dad some years ago and had a T90 xr installed. I use that shower now and it has never given a moment's trouble but recently I can feel a slight tingle from the hose and the metal piece at the base of the shower head. I'm one of those people who gets a shock from touching the car door so maybe it's me, not the shower. It's making me a bit nervous though, despite being told the trip switch on the "fuse board" (don't know what the box on the wall is called) is there to deal with any electrical problem. Has anyone ever come across this before or is it just me and my imagination? I'd be grateful for any advice or information at all. Many thanks.

janmaree wrote: »
    We renovated a bathroom for my Dad some years ago and had a T90 xr installed. I use that shower now and it has never given a moment's trouble but recently I can feel a slight tingle from the hose and the metal piece at the base of the shower head. I'm one of those people who gets a shock from touching the car door so maybe it's me, not the shower. It's making me a bit nervous though, despite being told the trip switch on the "fuse board" (don't know what the box on the wall is called) is there to deal with any electrical problem. Has anyone ever come across this before or is it just me and my imagination? I'd be grateful for any advice or information at all. Many thanks.

Don't use the shower. Sounds like an earth leakage. Get an REC to test everything

Thank you so much for that, I'll get on to it asap.

Sorry for the short answer. I'm a plumber so you will get a better response from an electrician.
    When you fit a shower you test the voltage on the neutral & live for 230v. What a lot of people don't know is that the multi meter should give 230v on the live & earth. Usually when people get a tingle from the shower it is a earth problem. I'm betting your shower won't have anywhere near 230v on the earth. Not everyone will feel the tingle but it's a tell tail of an earth fault.
    The t90sr is only out two years so I'm guessing your installer didn't test the earth at the time of the installation. It's a job for your electrician to sort out. He'll also cert everything while he's at it

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jazzyt

Hi. I am going to purchase one of these at the weekend. (On sale in Woodies for €229)
    Ikea have new rainfall shower heads priced at 100 euros. Would it be possible to use it with this shower do you think or would there not be a high enough flow rate due to the bigger head?

jazzyt wrote:
    Hi. I am going to purchase one of these at the weekend. (On sale in Woodies for €229) Ikea have new rainfall shower heads priced at 100 euros. Would it be possible to use it with this shower do you think or would there not be a high enough flow rate due to the bigger head?

The bigger the head the m water you n behind it. The electric one can't produce enough hot water from the rain head. I have seen some attached to electric shower but they don't really work. In win the triton puts out around 3 litres of water per minute. Check the requirement for the one in IKEA. It most likely needs 10 to 15 litres per minute

• Advertisement

janmaree wrote: »

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Sorry for the short answer. I'm a plumber so you will get a better response from an electrician.
    When you fit a shower you test the voltage on the neutral & live for 230v. What a lot of people don't know is that the multi meter should give 230v on the live & earth. Usually when people get a tingle from the shower it is a earth problem. I'm betting your shower won't have anywhere near 230v on the earth. Not everyone will feel the tingle but it's a tell tail of an earth fault.
    The t90sr is only out two years so I'm guessing your installer didn't test the earth at the time of the installation. It's a job for your electrician to sort out. He'll also cert everything while he's at it

Apologies for not acknowledging your post, I didn't see it until today. I took your advice and am using the other shower for now. I bought a T90 sr in Woodies last week to replace the old T90 xr and it's sitting in the hall waiting for the electrician to come! I will print off your posts, if you don't mind, and let him see the advice you have shared. So, many thanks indeed, you have given me peace of mind and that's hard to come by these days :)

most likely needs 10 to 15 litres per minute

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just checked the website for more info. It says it requires 9.5 litres for the rainfall and 8 litres for the hand head attachment.
    It also states “Each of our head/hand showers has a small pressure compensating washer (PCW) that reduces water flow while maintaining the pressure.
    Would this PCW that comes with it do the trick??

jazzyt wrote: »
    most likely needs 10 to 15 litres per minute

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Just checked the website for more info. It says it requires 9.5 litres for the rainfall and 8 litres for the hand head attachment.
    It also states “Each of our head/hand showers has a small pressure compensating washer (PCW) that reduces water flow while maintaining the pressure.
    Would this PCW that comes with it do the trick??

I requires minimum 9.5 Litres with or without the PCW. You'' only have a third of this in the winter & a half of the minimum in the summer.

It defiantly wont be successful. They are designed for power showers & not electric showers I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

In relation to changing heads, I want to put a smaller head on two t90sr I'm looking at buying for a hair salon.

I ideally want to use the heads that are attached to the basins, any idea if this smaller head will cause issues?

Ok. Looks like that idea is off the cards so! I will go ahead with purchasing the shower anyway as it sounds pretty impressive going by this thread.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I recently had a new T90sr installed as the old shower clapped out.

I was reading the user manual, and it's pretty scanty on usage.

What sort of usage time (per shower) are these designed for? The reason I ask is that I have a couple of teenage daughters, and I wonder if it is safe for them to spend up to an hour under the shower - safe for the shower I mean, will the motor & element stand up to this level of usage?

deirdremf wrote:
    What sort of usage time (per shower) are these designed for? The reason I ask is that I have a couple of teenage daughters, and I wonder if it is safe for them to spend up to an hour under the shower - safe for the shower I mean, will the motor & element stand up to this level of usage?

All electric showers and most power showers are rated 15 minutes on & 45 minutes off. This is to get the longest possible lifespan out of the shower. In the real world 3 & 4 people shower one after another in the morning totalling 30 to 40 minutes. We live in the real world & have to live our lives. If you live in a busy household limiting the shower usage to 15 on 45 off might increase the lifespan of your shower by 10 percent. Id rather using the shower the way my family need to use it & get 9 years instead of 10 years lifespan

deirdremf wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that I have a couple of teenage daughters, and I wonder if it is safe for them to spend up to an hour under the shower - safe for the shower I mean, will the motor & element stand up to this level of usage?

:eek: Don't mind the shower! It's not safe for them. According to experts, showers should be no more than 10 minutes. Long showers strip the skin of moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I bought a T90sr from Woodies about six months ago and it has worked very well until this week.
    Even though there seems to be a good flow of water, the temperature cycles hot and cold every 15 or 20 seconds. Even if you select a luke warm temperature, it cycles from luke warm to cold.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement