Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in chinese

Options
  • 26-09-2016 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and I work in a chinese take away answering phones.
    I generally work from half 5 to 11 or longer or sometimes later times, my
    employers are great at working around my other job. I have been there a year now
    and I am really unsure what to do. I have never receieved a payslip since starting there
    although I do pay tax and I know im on the books as I was given a P60 after xmas etc. I fill in time sheets every week while my employer stands over me to make sure im doing them right stating if i have received a break, the hours i have worked and my start and finish time. Regardless of what I fill in for my start and finish time I receive 50 euro at the end of the night unless Ive started work later then its 40. Although I pay tax for the 9.15 an hour wage and this goes on my gross pay for the year which causes me major problems as I also have another job.

I have no contract, no wage slips and to be honest no idea how much my gross pay is for the year so far. I also have never received holiday pay even though I've been on holidays twice since Ive been there. Since starting there I have only ever taken off 4 weekends but obviously not been paid for them. I get 10 euro extra for working xmas eve and new years eve. Am I entitled to holiday pay? How do I ask for pay slips?? The woman I work for is very nice so I feel like I cannot ask but I also feel like I deserve the money I work for considering I dont even get min wage. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Hi,
    I am 20 years old and I work in a chinese take away answering phones.
    I generally work from half 5 to 11 or longer or sometimes later times, my
    employers are great at working around my other job. I have been there a year now
    your post is really long so im going to break it up to make it easer to anwer all the questions.
    I have never receieved a payslip since starting there
    when you ask for one what do they say?
    although I do pay tax and I know im on the books as I was given a P60 after xmas etc.
    have you checked with revenue regarding the tax you are paying? you say you have another job so are you sure its not mixed up? are you tax credits split correctly?
    I fill in time sheets every week while my employer stands over me to make sure im doing them right stating if i have received a break, the hours i have worked and my start and finish time. Regardless of what I fill in for my start and finish time I receive 50 euro at the end of the night unless Ive started work later then its 40. Although I pay tax for the 9.15 an hour wage and this goes on my gross pay for the year which causes me major problems as I also have another job.
    if you work from 5:30 to 11pm. thats 5.5 hours, if you recieve 50 euro exactly theres something not right there.
    im not sure i follow this bit

Although I pay tax for the 9.15 an hour wage and this goes on my gross pay for the year which causes me major problems

I have no contract, no wage slips
    again what happens when you ask your employer for this?
    and to be honest no idea how much my gross pay is for the year so far.
    you do, just add up how much you have received, you keep your own records as well yes?
    I also have never received holiday pay even though I've been on holidays twice since Ive been there. Since starting there I have only ever taken off 4 weekends but obviously not been paid for them. I get 10 euro extra for working xmas eve and new years eve. Am I entitled to holiday pay?
    it sounds like your off the books mate.
    How do I ask for pay slips?? The woman I work for is very nice so I feel like I cannot ask but I also feel like I deserve the money I work for considering I dont even get min wage. Thanks
    again i dont follow? are you an adult? you say: hi boss, just wondering i havnt received any payslips can you forward them on to me. Thanks.

HOWEVER, this sounds like you are working cash in hand. The P60 threw me but everything else sounds like its cash in hand, if you have anyother job just do what you do there? do you get payslips in your other job?

Advertisement