Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB credit card debt

• 26-09-2016 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Three years ago i lost a job. I owe 1300 on credit card. The interest was frozen and I received a few threatening letters from a debt collector, which I ignored. I can't remember the agencies name.

I now got a letter from DCSI and they are sayin that if I don't contact they will start adding interest and sue me etc.

I just got a job and gave AIB as my bank details. Next week a lump sum -months payment, will be going into the account.

QUESTION:They can't just deduct the money automatically from my current acc; without a court order or something correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

maca123 wrote: »
    Three years ago i lost a job. I owe 1300 on credit card. The interest was frozen and I received a few threatening letters from a debt collector, which I ignored. I can't remember the agencies name.

I now got a letter from DCSI and they are sayin that if I don't contact they will start adding interest and sue me etc.

I just got a job and gave AIB as my bank details. Next week a lump sum -months payment, will be going into the account.

QUESTION:They can't just deduct the money automatically from my current acc; without a court order or something correct?

Contact them and explain the situation, they will arrange a payment plan and that will get rid of the unknown. Tackle it head on especially now you have a job. If you signed up for direct debit they could potentially try to withdraw some money depending on the agreement you had in place. Agreeing a plan with frozen interest is the best outcome for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 maca123

The last debt collecting agency seemed to have passed on the debt to some other crowd when they realised I wasn't going to comply to their threats (as I was flat broke with nothing to lose). I'm not sure why this new crowd expected me to comply.

But I have a job now so I have no excuse so I think I'll ring AIB itself rather than this new crowd. I know it's almost a stupid question, in that I seriously doubt they could deduct the credit card debt from my current account without some sort of court proceedings...

But I had to ask as I really, cannot afford to have 1300 deducted from my first month's salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you can find the original documentation you signed when opening the account read it carefully and check what it says. Depending on the wording it may be open to the bank to deduct money, not only from your current account which is in debt, but also from any other you might have with them.

I'd be up front with the bank. Contact them to explain the situation and try to come to some agreement about a repayment plan with them.

Advertisement