Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen MacBook, personal information accessed by thief

Options
  • 26-09-2016 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

I'll make this post short. My MacBook was stolen around March this year in France when I was living there. I initially signed into my iCloud to track the laptop but found it offline. Recently I have noticed that the device has been removed from iCloud altogether so I cannot access it's location. Similarly all of the photos in my iCloud associated with this laptop have been deleted which I am devastated about. First question, how is this possible? Did the thief know my password and what should I do next?

I logged onto my Dropbox this evening and noticed that the thief has used my device two weeks ago. I have the IPS and location, it is still in my village where I was living. They have accessed my Dropbox and deleted all of the thousands of photos I had (I can see this from the events details section). Second question, is there any way of getting all of these photos back that they deleted? Should I unlink my MacBook to my Dropbox, preventing their access or lie low in the hope I'll get their location again.

I'm gutted. Not only did they steal the MacBook from me, but took great pains to destroy all of the memories on my iPhoto and Dropbox.. any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I'd contact Apple and Dropbox. If you're lucky they will still have your photos stored somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if You used your macbook to acess your bank ac. change your bank ac password,
    You should change your password on your main email account.
    You may wish to change your credit card, if you ever used it on your
    macbook.If this was in ireland i,d say contact the gardai, give them the ip adress ,location info and they might get it back.
    The thief might have acess to your email account and then can see
    your dropbox password ,login info.
    And maybe passwords to any other accounts you have ,facebook etc
    Some passwords are retained by browsers which can enable
    auto login to a website, eg boards.ie , facebook ,instagram etc
    Thats why second factor authentication is important,
    eg if i change my password ,google sends the data to my phone as
    as a precaution in case my account is hacked into.
    Theres probably tools to acess the password, usernames on
    any pc or laptop that a thief uses .
    Your browser maybe could be set to auto login to your email account.
    You need to contact apple and dropbox tech support ,Soon
    if you wish to recover your data .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recover select files or folders. You can recover any file or folder deleted in the last 30 days from the Dropbox website (or longer, if you have a Dropbox Business account, or a Dropbox Pro account with Extended Version History). Click the trash can icon near the search box at the top of the file browser.

Unlink them, THEN recover. Quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Change your email password ,
    change your dropbox password after checking new email password account works .
    turn on 2 step authentication.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839?hl=en
    do this today.
    You have to assume the thief has acess to your main email ,
    knows the old password .
    At least the account you used on the macbook.
    AND he may have acess to any data for other service,s
    credit card info.
    sent through your email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Dropbox can rollback 30 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/11

• Advertisement
Advertisement