Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combi Boiler installed but no hot water

• 26-09-2016 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi there

I got a Combi Boiler installed a couple of weeks ago, but there is no hot water coming from the hot taps, as it's now coming from the mains. I have an electric shower, so it's just the sinks that are the problem. The water pressure isn't strong enough to have the boiler kick in. Is this common, have any plumbers come across this in Dublin before ?
    I told the plumber that I had low pressure before he started, but he obviously thought there would be enough to fill the sinks.

I've logged a ticket with Irish Water & am still waiting to hear from them, but if they don't have a fix, where do i go, what are the solutions ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Have you got your installer back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

He said it's an irish water problem. So im still waiting for them to look into it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RJF

He should not have installed a combi boiler if he knew there was poor water pressure.

Since you told him this beforehand at worst he should have informed you that there was a high likelyhood of the boiler not providing a hot water supply and asking did you wish to proceed. He should have gauge tested the water flow.

It all sounds very unprofessional. You should have him replace it with a system boiler and copper cylinder, if you have the space. Otherwise he should contact Irish water and get them out straight away to see if they can provide adequate pressure. It's his responsibility to leave you with a working product - a hot water supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It's not an Irish Water problem really. You say you are in Dublin and your setup (combi boiler directly connected to mains) breaches the Dublin bye laws. Irish Water are under no obligation to provide adequate pressure for your setup.

The best solution is probably as described above, though there are other possible solutions.

As stated, this is your plumber's problem to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

One possible fix is to fit a booster pump, supplied from your attic tank, which will feed the combi boiler - that will provide sufficient pressure, and would enable you to replace your electric shower with a simple tap type.

I have only good things to report about this pump after fitting in my house to overcome a poor mains pressure issue: http://www.consolidatedpumps.com/Products/catalogue/DAB/Booster-Silent-from-%E2%82%AC309+-VAT

Another fix would be to revert to using a hot water cylinder etc. if they're still present.

[url=javascript:;]RJF[/url] & [url=javascript:;]antoinolachtnai[/url] are correct in that they note it's not an IW issue - IW don't claim to achieve a minimum pressure at each dwelling.
    My personal opinion is that they should, and we shouldn't have storage tanks etc...but I doubt the status quo will change anytime soon.

• Advertisement

The booster pump is obviously a good bit of extra money, but it is also a good bit of extra plumbing too.

The whole point of the combi is supposed to be the simplicity because you shouldn't really need anything in the attic or hot press anymore, but obviously when you end up having to not only have a tank but also have a pretty expensive pump, the simplicity benefit goes out the window.

I basically agree re Irish Water giving everybody adequate pressure, but on the other hand, Irish Water has much more serious problems to sort out before it gets around to fixing the pressure for houses on high ground in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Thanks for the replies guys. Irish Water came out and said the pressure was normal (20psi, 1.5bar) I don't know if they adjusted anything, but the water flow seemed a bit better afterwards, and now i'm getting spluttering hot water in my kitchen, but none upstairs in sink (water flow from tap is better than before, but obviously not good enough to kickstart the boiler).

It's a pity the plumber got rid of the cylinder in the hot press (though i was glad of the extra space) , but i presume the combi could have been hooked up to the old cylinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You could just boost the mains water pressure in the whole house

- the mains water will just fill a tank and a little pump will supply decent pressure hot and cold

this sort of thing :

http://www.pumpexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Domestic-Pump-and-Tank-Solutions.html

then while you are at it, get the water tested for hardness and put in a whole house water softener if it needs it

Not cheap though! And you need to find space for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Whilst it does solve the problem, you really need to design it in with the rest of the house.
    I'd have concerns about too much water storage when you take the attic tank into account.
    Also it's reassuring to be able to flush a loo on gravity feed in case of water shortage or at night without the pump kicking in

• Advertisement
Advertisement