Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Conversion

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I've got a XC KTM mountain bike that is a 5 years old, I initially used it for mountain biking and commuting but since relocating mountain biking is no longer an option for me so it's gradually becoming a commuter.

I have a road bike too which I cycle during the nice weather but it's brakes, grip and handing are horrific in the wet so it's time to switch back to the mountain bike.

However it's been a bit unloved and it's in need of a good service, front derailleur selector is broken, rear derailleur needs a service and an adjustment, rear hub is seized and it's got me thinking if I actually need gears.

They're the main reason I don't cycle the bike and I'm thinking of converting it to a single speed. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it easy to do yourself? Or is it cheap enough for a bike shop to do?

I'd love a zero/low maintenance bike that just need the odd tyre pump and brake pad replacement.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

There are kits available to convert bikes from multiple speed to single speed, made up of a chain tensioner, a cog and a spacer kit. You would probably need to take one of the chainrings off your crankset too.

The kits seems pretty simple to use, provided you have a freehub that will accommodate it.

Here is one at CRC, it's out of stock but have a look around and you'll find an equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have the DMR one above. Retired in a box in the shed. Will hand it over for a tenner if you want to give it a shot.

It worked fine tbh. Same thing as you - I had an MTB frame lying around, converted it to a single-speed commuter.

Downsides are getting the alignment and tension right. Both front and rear. I've never had a chain come off so often. You think you've got it all set up and purring, then one day you hit a hill, stand up to give it a bit of welly, the chain pops off and you crack your nuts on the stem and split your knee on the end of the handlebar.

A proper singlespeed bike is already correctly aligned, so that's less of an issue. I did ride it for more than a year like that though, it wasn't all bad. The reason I retired it is because I got bored of only having one gear and spinning out on the commute. I got a few punctures while I had it; it's a little more troublesome to repair on the side the of the road, but not much.

Advertisement