Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebars

Options
  • 26-09-2016 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Why has the shape of handlebars changed since the 1900s? The old form of handlebars looks good to me, with several comfortable holds. I can understand that drop bars are better for racing, but for city riding and cycletouring, why are we now restricted to drop bars, flat bars or bullhorns? I like these:

IMG_2120lauterwasserlow.jpg

and surely they could be made in lighter metal and still be good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

There are a huge variety of handlebars available from people like Rivendell Bikes and Hubjub, mostly made in Japan by Nitto.

I think the thing about the bars in your pic is that there's pretty much nowhere to put a brake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Miklos wrote: »
    There are a huge variety of handlebars available from people like Rivendell Bikes and Hubjub, mostly made in Japan by Nitto.

I think the thing about the bars in your pic is that there's pretty much nowhere to put a brake.

Ah, that's a good point; of course fixies were universal until about 1900 or so. Maybe we need new tech for brake levers.

Advertisement