Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Religious Organisations being allowed to prey on the weak

• 26-09-2016 11:02am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So off the back of John Oliver's video which is obviously US-centric (see below)

One has ask why a similar type of crap is allowing in Ireland, see http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/09/26/snake-oil/

unnamed-10.jpg
    Must get me in on this religion stuff. Great business. Saw this in the Swords Gazette. Preying on the vulnerable to make cash or a genuine, if deluded, attempt to help folk?

Ultimately this advert is a long game to con people out of money and their personal information (so they can be sent more cons)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Harry Browne

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ultimately this advert is a long game to con people out of money and their personal information (so they can be sent more cons)

I'm guessing you have proof of this, not sure why you haven't posted the proof yet though. Go for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

note that the ad makes no claims about medical benefits for the oil. so there's nothing actionable in the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

note that the ad makes no claims about medical benefits for the oil. so there's nothing actionable in the ad.

They're careful not to make any explicit claims, but there is a very strong implication that the oil will help you defeat cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cabaal wrote: »
    So off the back of John Oliver's video which is obviously US-centric (see below)..........

One has ask why a similar type of crap is allowing in Ireland,

That's this shower :

https://irelanduckg.wordpress.com/

Griffith College South Circular Road, Dublin :eek:

- UCKG HelpCentre is a registered Irish charity (no. CHY16050).

Ah, they moved :

ddeyh6B.jpg

• Advertisement

Diego here is offering Addiction Cleansing Therapy

Diego Sinhorini (@diego.sinhorini)
    Don't let addiction stop you from truly living your life.
    Get Clean! Join us every Sunday, @4pm -Ireland ����
    For more info call 0861545567
    Addiction Cleansing Therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

i was at a funeral the other day , first time in a very long while i've been to any religious service ... I get that people need comforting at a time of loss etc ... but all that kept going through my head while the priest was doing his thing was h, how is anybody still buying into this crap.

The constant references to things so far removed from modern life really registered with , the constant sheep references ( the lord is my Shepard , The Shepard and the valley of the shadow of death , the lamb of God , the flock like ffs how is anyone relating to that.

at the end when he finished and said my gran aunt would be greeted at the gates of the new Jarusalem by all the angels and saints again all i could think was how is the new f**king Jerusalem relevant to anyone here literally no one had been to the current jarusalem ... For the first time ever it actually got on my nerves usually i just go mumble and play the old Simon says stand kneel sit shake hands etc... but the other day it actually just irritated me start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

i was at a funeral the other day , first time in a very long while i've been to any religious service ... I get that people need comforting at a time of loss etc ... but all that kept going through my head while the priest was doing his thing was h, how is anybody still buying into this crap.

The constant references to things so far removed from modern life really registered with , the constant sheep references ( the lord is my Shepard , The Shepard and the valley of the shadow of death , the lamb of God , the flock like ffs how is anyone relating to that.

at the end when he finished and said my gran aunt would be greeted at the gates of the new Jarusalem by all the angels and saints again all i could think was how is the new f**king Jerusalem relevant to anyone here literally no one had been to the current jarusalem ... For the first time ever it actually got on my nerves usually i just go mumble and play the old Simon says stand kneel sit shake hands etc... but the other day it actually just irritated me start to finish
    Funerals are religion at it's best, a focal point for everyone to come together and support the bereaved. And at it's worst, using the opportunity to promote the agenda of the church.

Funerals are still one of the services that keep people coming back to the church.

trying to get them young :

domain: youthpower.ie

renewal: 07-June-2017
    holder-type: Charitable

person: Pastor Osvaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re: funerals; religion is mostly about community - I think a lot of people don't fully believe the supernatural crap (though they probably do believe in some sort of afterlife).

That ad is a scam and a disgrace though - Louis Theroux's Scientology movie won't get a release because of the blasphemy laws, but this sort of crap is in many regional papers and all over Facebook - great little country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,745 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All religions prey on the weak. Why do you think they got involved in hospitals or schools or 'missionary work' ?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Misrepresentation?
    It's described as olive oil, but it looks more like snake oil to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would be very wary about any law strong enough to take action on the ad above.
    that said, i'm somewhat bemused by the notion of someone anointing their workplace. it'd be great fun to claim you'd a right not to work in a workplace that had been anointed in the 'wrong' faith, until it was religiously fumigated. whatever that might entail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

All religions prey on the weak. Why do you think they got involved in hospitals or schools or 'missionary work' ?

Indeed, and some religionists are quite open about it; "ah you say you're an atheist now, but just wait until you're sick/have trouble/etc"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gotta love those Televangelists..

Advertisement