Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sono (self charging)

Options
  • 26-09-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭

Have solar panels passed the point where the electricity they produce exceeds the range decrease from the extra weight?

https://www.sonomotors.com/sion/

Manufacturer supplied 'review' here

€12,000 for a six seater runabout?
    Will we ever see a Range Rover at the school gates again?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I was not sure about starting a new topic or digging up this one.

Quite a lot has happened in the Sonos world over the past years. The price has now gone up to €16,000 for the car, and another €9000 for the battery. First deliveries potentially by the end of the year, with almost 10,000 reservation holders (but most of these before the battery went up in price from the previously estimated €4500).

No right hand drive planned at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭josip

One thing about the Sion/Sonos puzzles me.
    In the countries that get enough sunlight to make full use of the panels, the last thing people there do if they can avoid it is leave their car exposed in the direct sunlight.
    The paintwork will suffer and the car will be roasting to get in to.
    So they'll have to use a lot of that generated electricity cooling the interior down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭conor_mc

josip wrote: »
    One thing about the Sion/Sonos puzzles me.
    In the countries that get enough sunlight to make full use of the panels, the last thing people there do if they can avoid it is leave their car exposed in the direct sunlight.
    The paintwork will suffer and the car will be roasting to get in to.
    So they'll have to use a lot of that generated electricity cooling the interior down again.

There’s a new Fully Charged episode out about this car, they actually have it shaded and explicitly say the panels will generate from indirect light, although not as much. The same thought was going through my head as I saw it covered by a tent before they mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

conor_mc wrote: »
    There’s a new Fully Charged episode out about this car, they actually have it shaded and explicitly say the panels will generate from indirect light, although not as much.

A vertical panel facing north (on side of the car) will generate very little PV even in full sun at noon in a sunny hot country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Apparently, there are new pv panels on the way, that are totally transparent, and so could be built into the glass, and can also produce energy from light reflected on the under side.. As to when these panels will be commercially available, and Wether they'll have the required efficiency... Who knows...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

None of this will work in Ireland.

"Ah Hayor, the range has been going down since I got it, these yokes are ****e, it's hardly working at all now!"

Because you bought it three months ago and have YET TO WASH IT YOU LAZY **** :mad:

Advertisement