Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy prices

Options
  • 26-09-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

I take a couple of regular medications and normally fill my prescriptions at a chain pharmacy in one of shopping centres outside the centre. Recently I couldn't get to my regular pharmacy and asked a relative to get my medications when he went to his regular pharmacy in the city centre. He doesn't keep an eye on the costs as he is on enough medication that he always hits the monthly cap where the taxpayer picks up the excess. But I pay for my own medications and do keep track of the costs. So I was shocked to find the city centre pharmacy was charging 114% more than the suburban pharmacy for an identical common medication. For the other medication I take the price difference is almost as large.

Obviously, rents in the centre are significantly different from those in the suburbs and, depending on the business sector, that can have a effect on prices. Dunnes Stores or some of the bigger fast food chains might have the same prices everywhere, and rely on increased footfall to cover the higher rents, while a pub in the centre might charge quite a bit more for a pint than an equivalent pub in the suburbs. But charging more than twice as much for an identical product with no difference at all in level of service is taking the p!$$.

I'm not naming either pharmacy so this is just a suggestion to anyone who has to buy medication regularly in Galway that it pays to shop around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Was it the exact same drug and packaging?
    What pharmacy was cheapest.I'm sure they wouldn't mind you naming them in a positive light? I'll PM and ask you for the name too if that's ok.

O'Beirn's pharmacy in Henry Street is one of those cut price pharmacies you occasionally hear of on boards bargain alerts. There's 2 in Dublin, one that does mail order. O'Beirn's was featured on a consumer show last year though and was just as good as those price wise. I think they mostly dispense generics but in the vast VAST majority of cases generics are just as good and effective as brands. Unfortunately things like the mainly prescribed asthma inhalers tend to be the same price everywhere as there are no generics for them. If you or a parent or family member are on long term medication it's well worth pricing them. Saving 10-40 euro a month is not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Exactly the same drug and packaging. One generic, one not.

What pharmacy was cheapest.
    Next to Dunnes Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

What pharmacy was cheapest.I'm sure they wouldn't mind you naming them in a positive light? I'll PM and ask you for the name too if that's ok.

O'Beirn's pharmacy in Henry Street is one of those cut price pharmacies you occasionally hear of on boards bargain alerts. There's 2 in Dublin, one that does mail order. O'Beirn's was featured on a consumer show last year though and was just as good as those price wise. I think they mostly dispense generics but in the vast VAST majority of cases generics are just as good and effective as brands. Unfortunately things like the mainly prescribed asthma inhalers tend to be the same price everywhere as there are no generics for them. If you or a parent or family member are on long term medication it's well worth pricing them. Saving 10-40 euro a month is not uncommon.

The asthma drugs don't have generic options can vary quite wildly in price albeit in most places they're very dear- I have paid between €80+ and €60 for the preventer I am prescribed. The latter price was in Donegal though.

I find Cara is very good- for example €4.50 for antihistamines that are ~€10 in most places I have looked for them, a hell of a difference.

Certainly a sector that needs a shake up, overcharging is absolutely rampant.

Mr_A wrote: »
    The asthma drugs don't have generic options can vary quite wildly in price albeit in most places they're very dear- I have paid between €80+ and €60 for the preventer I am prescribed. The latter price was in Donegal though.

I find Cara is very good- for example €4.50 for antihistamines that are ~€10 in most places I have looked for them, a hell of a difference.

Certainly a sector that needs a shake up, overcharging is absolutely rampant.

Interesting about the inhalers. Do you know if you can buy let's say 6 at a time someplace like Donegal?
    Last time I checked serotide was 85 in a few places!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Interesting about the inhalers. Do you know if you can buy let's say 6 at a time someplace like Donegal?
    €55 in Dublin https://healthwave.ie/price-list/
    I'm sure it's even cheaper if you go North

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Boots is cheap for seretide....my local pharmacist asked me was I not taking seretide anymore and I told him that I was getting it way cheaper in boots...wasn't long after he started charging the same price so now I get it from him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I'd second Cara. Don't know is there more than one but I use the one in Liosbaun opposite Fat Toni's

gifted wrote: »
    Boots is cheap for seretide....my local pharmacist asked me was I not taking seretide anymore and I told him that I was getting it way cheaper in boots...wasn't long after he started charging the same price so now I get it from him again.

Strange, I don't know why but I'd never have thought of Boots. Good to know, thank you!

Don't know.. I wouldn't have had the money to buy that many at a time so never thought to ask. But if you have the prescription to cover them all I can't see why not. For reference it's Symbicort I was looking at. The prices on healthwave are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sgthighway wrote: »
    I'd second Cara. Don't know is there more than one but I use the one in Liosbaun opposite Fat Toni's

Agree re them.

There's another one I Edward Square just off.

I've been told they're local and deliberately trying to undercut the chains. Don't know how true that is.

• Advertisement

Cara are a Donegal firm originally AFAIK. Although one of their main executives was on Secret Millionaire or a show of that ilk a couple of years ago and if I recall correctly (and it's hazy TBH) the charities she helped were in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The difference in price can be vary quite widely for sure.

Prescription price not too transparent either until you get to the till.

Shop around and don't be afraid to say no thanks if the price is too much!

Advertisement