Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chicken coop on wheels.

• 26-09-2016 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd mention this here as it might help out someone who needs to make a larger chicken coop movable.

I'm making a 6'x4' chicken coop (essentially a small shed) that got to heavy to move into position so I put wheels on it and the practical amongst you might be interested how I did it.

Aldi had barrow wheels for a tenner each so I bought 4. Initially I was going to use a piece of tubing over a large 150mm coach bolt with a load of washers and screw a wheel onto each corner. Gave up that idea, it might have worked as a temporary measure but I wanted something a bit stronger and reusable.

In the end I found that 25mm galvanized steel electrical conduit (3m length €9) was the perfect size for the larger inserts that came with the wheels. So I drilled the base with a 1inch bit so I could put a length of conduit across the coop at each end. 5ft of conduit gave me about 6 inches of axle sticking out for the wheel. To stop the tyres rubbing on the frame I cut some large washer/spacers from a large diameter black water pipe I had and held the wheels in place with jubilee clips.

Now I only plan to use this to move the chicken coop up to our chicken run and will take the wheels off again but I'd use the same idea if I ever wanted to make a fully movable chicken coop. I've plans to make a very heavy small trailer for shifting rocks around when I've got the new chicken coop set up.

Advertisement