Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Federal .22lr birdshot ammo

• 26-09-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

How effective are these rounds on crows and magpies. Looking at reviews and such they seem effective up to 10-15 yards. Has anyone any experience of using this ammo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

They are for indoor use in sheds where birds (mice or rats) are steeling animal feed. The grains are so small they won't harm galvanise or cladding! I think they are for use on smaller birds. Was never in range to shoot crows or mags but would imagine you would need to be very close. I have a box of bird shot at home I will see at what range it will brake a static clay pigeon face on at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

I use them for point blank shooting in live catch traps- raths , mink , squirrels and magpies. Have used them in the grain store at work too but they're useless past 20ft if even that far. Had feral pigeons in nesting and while standing almost directly under the rafter all it did was knock feathers outa them. Air rifle is the only job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

A4 page size spread at 10y from a rifle with plenty of gaps between the pellets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Luckysasha wrote: »
    How effective are these rounds on crows and magpies. Looking at reviews and such they seem effective up to 10-15 yards. Has anyone any experience of using this ammo

About three or four yards max.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hobbies_left_ me_pennyless

rsole1 wrote: »
    About three or four yards max.

After shooting some clays this evening I would say this post is spot on!

Started at 20 yards a few grains hit but barley marked the paint.

Had to come in as far as 20 feet before I broke a face on clay,
    tried 4 more at this range 2 broke 2 had 20 to 23 grains hit the 4 1/2 inch circle and still survived!
    If you get close enough to a crow or mag to use one these save your money just hit them across the back of the head with your rifle butt😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks for the replies and the field tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

There are other low power single projectiles available in .22 which you may find better. CCI make a smashing little round that takes the .22lr down to good air rifle power and theyre quite accurate too out to 30 or 40 yards. I got them from Paddy Carley in Wexford

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

They look like the job. I have a dozen or so jackdaws fighting over a tree at the back of the house that need to be silenced lol

Advertisement