Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a VPN be used to bypass UCD's firewalls to access Steam/Xbox Live?

Options
  • 26-09-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm currently living in student accommodation on UCD's campus, and I wanted to play a game of civ with my friend however we found that steam is blocked my UCD, and apparently Xbox Live also. This is quite unfortunate for me because UCD's internet is very fast, and my internet at home is unbearable slow. I would be willing to pay for a quality VPN if it was able to bypass UCD's network, because it is the only way I can play any online games at all.

Anyone who is tech savvy know if it will work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I am not a UCD student but visit the campus regularly and use their public Wi-Fi. If it is the same network you are using they have been blocking VPN ports for some time which is actually quite annoying for visitors, so you probably will have no luck with commercial VPN services using standard ports (except maybe Open VPN services which use HTTP/HTTPS ports but I hadn't tried as my iPhone/iPad don't support Open VPN).

Another option probably is to have your own VPN server running on HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, IMAP, or POP ports - this wouldn't be the default configuration but would probably be enough to trick UCD's filters into thinking your are not using a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CaptainNivek

God damn it, that is basically game over for me. I know nothing about VPN's so if I can't use a commerical VPN then I am basically screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Have you tried eduroam, not sure if they block the same pots on that. Won't help with the Xbox without serious finangling, but might get you on Steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Raphael wrote: »
    Have you tried eduroam, not sure if they block the same pots on that. Won't help with the Xbox without serious finangling, but might get you on Steam

They have everything blocked up. You can run internal LAN games, but there's no outside access in UCD.

AFAIK they also monitor traffic for torrents and your MAC address is registered on the network so they know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Coir?

Eduroam allows Steam traffic to work without a hitch, doesn't seem to have any real restrictions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement