Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance. Flood risk won't quote.

Options
  • 26-09-2016 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all final stages of buying a house have rang three to four of the larger Insurances and they won't quote as it's a flood risk. Even though it has never ever flooded. Can you please advise if you have any problems with getting home insurance? If you can PM me with any brokers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Is it a new build? If it's in an estate with other houses, join the FB group for it, there probably will be one. If it's not a new build, knock into the soon to be neighbours and find out if they are insured with anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

My wifes house is in a large estate. Houses at the very back are right next to a river and they were flooded a few years ago. Her house is quite a distance away and is elevated over the house that flooded yet as its in the same estate she cant get house insurance against flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Is it a new build? If it's in an estate with other houses, join the FB group for it, there probably will be one. If it's not a new build, knock into the soon to be neighbours and find out if they are insured with anyone?

No its not a new housing estate there since the 1970's. FB group what's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If an insurance company won't touch a house due to it being in a flood risk area would you not think of looking somewhere else?

Always seemed like a red flag to me when buying property.

Well I'm from the area lived there all my life it's never ever ever been flooded. The house is miles away from the river. We would not be buying the house if we thought for one second it was at risk of flooding.

• Advertisement

Will they give us the mortgage if we can't get flood cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I live in an area that's very prone to flooding but my house has never flooded.

When the insurance started playing silly buggers after the worst floods in living memory I pointed out that my house still hadn't flooded. They checked with the underwriters and they accepted my argument and came back with a quote. Might be worth ringing them directly and making that argument and asking them to check it with the underwriters.

Deagol wrote: »
    I live in an area that's very prone to flooding but my house has never flooded.

When the insurance started playing silly buggers after the worst floods in living memory I pointed out that my house still hadn't flooded. They checked with the underwriters and they accepted my argument and came back with a quote. Might be worth ringing them directly and making that argument and asking them to check it with the underwriters.

This is our first time ever getting home insurance and after more reading up the whole of this town was declared a zone a risk of flooding. Even though the town has never ever flooded. You would assume they could only impose a ban really if houses were flooded but they weren't not one single house. And we are over a mile from any water source it's very frustrating. But is this a requirement to have to draw down a mortgage? To have flood cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

sadie1502 wrote: »
    No its not a new housing estate there since the 1970's. FB group what's that ?

A Facebook group, I'm buying in a new estate so everyone is very active in terms of sharing information about the estate build on a Facebook group.

If it's an old estate, though, I would just ask the neighbours who they went with.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    A Facebook group, I'm buying in a new estate so everyone is very active in terms of sharing information about the estate build on a Facebook group.

If it's an old estate, though, I would just ask the neighbours who they went with.

Yeah its an old estate. I've a friend living locally and she looked at the small print on her insurance and she isn't covered for flood damage. I'm sure no one is covered as there are a few articles in local newspapers about this issue and councillors getting involved last article was Aug of this year so it most be an ongoing issue for everyone in this town. What I'm trying to figure out is it a requirement to have flood cover to draw down on a mortgage ? Does anyone know ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The OPW have an online site floods dot ie and there has been a lot of money into researching this as they realise that sometimes coco's were allowing planning in existing flood planes but also that building infrastructure and dealing with runoff has an impact downstream.
    With better information the insurance companies may be excluding areas which have never flooded but because they are downstream from a newly expanded buildup areas and have the potential to suffer flash flooding.

Advertisement