Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sorry for all the questions !!

Last one I promise :)

Is it possible to add a seperate timer for the hot water so the boiler only heats it at the specified time ?

At the moment the tank is run from a TRV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Sorry for all the questions !!

Last one I promise :)

Is it possible to add a seperate timer for the hot water so the boiler only heats it at the specified time ?
    Sorry, TCLN, can't remember the exact setup you have. If you have a separate valve for the hot water circuit then yes you could add a timeclock, I don't see why not.
    At the moment the tank is run from a TRV
    I think you have your acronyms mixed up there - a TRV is for individual radiators?

I'm pretty new to this, so don't take my posts as gospel.

Netatmos working well for me so far. I set an "away" yesterday when we were airing the house but it some how cleared itself and went full heating whack. Need to try that "away" feature again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Netatmos working well for me so far. I set an "away" yesterday when we were airing the house but it some how cleared itself and went full heating whack. Need to try that "away" feature again.

Only time this happened to me was due to latency in the android app.
    If you set away, I usually keep the app open until I see it synced to the thermostat.
    A couple of times I closed the app before the sync had confirmed complete and the action didn't happen.

Anyone else who's interested you can use IFTTT to log manual temperate sets or to push a notification to your device when someone makes a manual change to the scheduled heating.
    You can also use IFTTT to push a message to your device when the batteries are low in the Netatmo. That said, I've had mine 18 months and the batteries are still around 60-80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sorry, TCLN, can't remember the exact setup you have. If you have a separate valve for the hot water circuit then yes you could add a timeclock, I don't see why not.

I think you have your acronyms mixed up there - a TRV is for individual radiators?

I'm pretty new to this, so don't take my posts as gospel.

Cheers, I will look into that

There is a valve just like a TRV just before the pipe enters the boiler

Only time this happened to me was due to latency in the android app.
    If you set away, I usually keep the app open until I see it synced to the thermostat.
    A couple of times I closed the app before the sync had confirmed complete and the action didn't happen.

Sounds like exactly what happened, was in a bit of a rush. I find the app a bit slow to sync alright.
    Definitely interested in the IFTTT. GPS drains my phone battery very quickly though, will have to pass on any location based stuff probabaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

My setup is different. I will be wiring the relaybox and stat will be completely wireless.

If you are happy with where your old thermostat is then yes the brown wires are the ones you want. Do you tape the neutrals and keep them separate... or do you join them. Hmmmm. Need coffee. I GUESS you need to keep them joined just as they are now.

I'm going on the diagram at the back of the box here. From my own experience of celtic tiger house wiring it's. ... rather more freestyle. Please check that the actual wiring reflects the diagram.
    Yes 1 and 4 are supply and switch supply to control heat.

Neutral need to be together.

Make sure all power is off.

Hey guys,

Can you tell me if this connector would be ok to use to connect my neutral wires together.

6-Way Cable Connector Strip
    http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-white-30a-6-way-cable-connector-strip/178061_BQ.prd

Is 30A ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Hey guys,

Can you tell me if this connector would be ok to use to connect my neutral wires together.

6-Way Cable Connector Strip
    http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-white-30a-6-way-cable-connector-strip/178061_BQ.prd

Is 30A ok?

That is more than sufficient. Go for it.

Winterlong wrote: »
    That is more than sufficient. Go for it.

Cheers Winterlong,

Got Netatmo in post this morning so will give it a go.

Cheers Winterlong,

Got Netatmo in post this morning so will give it a go.

I don’t know why I keep reading this thread!

My netamo was faulty and has been returned. I am waiting for them to send me a new one…but their customer service is terrible (ie, not very customer friendly or service oriented) so I could be in for a long wait.
    I get mad jealous when I see people here getting their ones set up successfully and I am still with a pesky timer switch on my heating!

I don’t know why I keep reading this thread!

My netamo was faulty and has been returned. I am waiting for them to send me a new one…but their customer service is terrible (ie, not very customer friendly or service oriented) so I could be in for a long wait.
    I get mad jealous when I see people here getting their ones set up successfully and I am still with a pesky timer switch on my heating!

Be worth it when its up and running for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

d31b0y wrote: »
    Can someone give a quick explanation for my wiring? See pic attached.

Hopefully it's straightforward...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/97451/399745.jpg

Sorry guys, more questions...
    These are the only cables coming into my house from the boiler. Can I fit the relay (or thermostat) to this?
    I can't seem to match up the cabling to the installation videos (obviously cos there is no thermostat input).
    I've also taken a few photos of the boiler outside...
    https://goo.gl/photos/TTgaJvoLNkcitwVJA

Am I out of luck? Or can I run the unit without the thermostat part? e.g. just as a wireless enabled smart clock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Still nothing. Is there a number to call them on?

I applied last week for the Energia offer & had a call from them today

(01)5563291 if you want to avoid the 1850 number

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭bootser

d31b0y wrote:
    Sorry guys, more questions... These are the only cables coming into my house from the boiler. Can I fit the relay (or thermostat) to this? I can't seem to match up the cabling to the installation videos (obviously cos there is no thermostat input). I've also taken a few photos of the boiler outside...

d31b0y wrote:
    Am I out of luck? Or can I run the unit without the thermostat part? e.g. just as a wireless enabled smart clock?

I imagine u have a time clock or thermostat in your house, in your case id guess u just have a time clock. You can install the relay in place of it. The clock is used to switch the boiler on/off at the moment, u will just b replacing this with a switch controlled by the wireless thermostat.

Cool thanks. You are right. Time clock only.
    So relay replaces the time clock. Will the wireless thermostat still work?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭bootser

d31b0y wrote:
    Cool thanks. You are right. Time clock only. So relay replaces the time clock. Will the wireless thermostat still work?

The stat will switch the relay on/off according to the temp u set it to. If u look back a couple of posts, other people have had instruction on the wiring of the relay.

Have four cables in my thermostat. Two brown, two blue.

Anyone know which two would be the control cables?

Pictures attached below.

Just want to thank everyone for their help in setting up the Netatmo for me, working great.

One last question, I joined the yellow/green wires together in the new setup.

Is this ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just want to thank everyone for their help in setting up the Netatmo for me, working great.

Is this ok?

Most likely an earth connection together is perfect as the netamo doesn't need it.

Is this ok?

Yeah that's how it was before too, https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/69503/399447.jpg
    What you've done should be fine.

Most likely an earth connection together is perfect as the netamo doesn't need it.
    Yeah that's how it was before too, https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/69503/399447.jpg
    What you've done should be fine.

Cheers guys

Ugh, sorry... still having some trouble getting my head around the wiring. As has been pointed out before, I only have a clock.

[EDIT: I have no idea why this image is upside down. If you click the attachment, which is what I linked to, you can see it the right way up]
    400040.jpg

I only have three cables at the wall. L (live?), N (neutral?) and 1 (which says live to boiler).
    I assume live and neutral correspond to the power for the Netatmo brown and blue cables.
    I am also assuming that the cable marked 1 is what tells the boiler to turn on or off. But the Netatmo has grey and black cable for the thermostat controls, which I don't have.
    Will one of the grey / black cables be able to tell the boiler to come on? If so, which one and what happens with the second cable?

Sorry for asking again. I have looked back past the other installations but can't find a similar setup.

• Advertisement

1 is the switched live to the boiler so on the outgoing side of netamo link it with brown L1

Neutral connect together and mains live into ingoing side of netamo

How do I know which is outgoing on the Netatmo? Grey or black?

I'll be honest... I took no account of polarity/in/out.

Ruh roh? :confused:

I'll check see if can view diagram

Have you kept note of where cables were connected on old thermostat as this should indicate which is switched live and live in.

I actually tried both and neither are working for me. The Netatmo is getting power but the boiler just won't come on :(

Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I was using the same PCB that the clock has but with the switch in the off position.
    Brown connected to live
    Blue to neutral
    (these two worked as the device comes on)
    then either grey to neutral and black to switched (tried this first)
    or black to neutral and grey to switched

I actually tried both and neither are working for me. The Netatmo is getting power but the boiler just won't come on :(

Any ideas what I might have done wrong? I was using the same PCB that the clock has but with the switch in the off position.
    Brown connected to live
    Blue to neutral
    then either black to neutral and grey to switched
    or grey to neutral and black to switched

Did you keep a picture of rear of old and note which cable was connected where?

Brown connected to live
    Blue to neutral
    then either black to neutral and grey to switched
    or grey to neutral and black to switched

It should be Brown to live.
    Blue to neutral.
    That powers up the relay.

Now, what the relay does is open and close the circuit between the black and grey. So one of those goes to your Switched. The other needs to go the brown/live as this give the switched power when the relay turns it on.
    Would need to see the netamo instructions wiring diagram to figure which is which.

I've reconnected the old clock and it's working fine, if that's what you mean. I can remember exactly what way I had the netatmo too.

On a side note, there is a black cable behind the clock too but it goes nowhere. Just terminated with electrical tape.

My bad forgot you did put photo up.

Cable 2 on old one is live in and cable 1 is live out to boiler as on your old clock.

2 and 1 being the number connection

• Advertisement

It should be Brown to live.
    Blue to neutral.
    That powers up the relay.

Now, what the relay does is open and close the circuit between the black and grey. So one of those goes to your Switched. The other needs to go the brown/live as this give the switched power when the relay turns it on.
    Would need to see the netamo instructions wiring diagram to figure which is which.

Ah, I had either black or grey always going to neutral or switched live so this must be where I was going wrong. Now to try dig out netatmo wiring diagram.

http://www.e-heat.gr/index.php?attachments/valve-wiring-diagram-png.652/
    First link I googled. So this would suggest grey to live and black to switched live, right?

Advertisement