Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

I have an oil combined boiler. I have two zones, downstairs and upstairs controlled by motorized valves on each zone. The zones/ motorized valves are turned on or off by a two gang switch ( one switch for each zone) The downstairs stat is in the kitchen and the upstairs stat is on the landing.

Can this be configured with my current set up to control each zone independently.

Would I require 3 relays.

1 to replace the time clock
    2 to replace the two gang switch controlling the zones.

But I think I would only need 2 stats but not sure how it would all work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Has the offer in the OP expired? The promo99 code doesn't seem to be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Has the offer in the OP expired? The promo99 code doesn't seem to be working.

OP fixed it in a later post to link below.

https://shop.netatmo.com/eur_en/thermostat-promo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paidi_ed

Looks to be out of stock now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

lolliedog wrote: »
    I have an oil combined boiler. I have two zones, downstairs and upstairs controlled by motorized valves on each zone. The zones/ motorized valves are turned on or off by a two gang switch ( one switch for each zone) The downstairs stat is in the kitchen and the upstairs stat is on the landing.

Can this be configured with my current set up to control each zone independently.

Would I require 3 relays.

1 to replace the time clock
    2 to replace the two gang switch controlling the zones.

But I think I would only need 2 stats but not sure how it would all work.

If you want 2 zones you would need 2 devices.

If you stick with 1 replace time clock and put netatamo in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Blue on far left goes to blue on relay wiring.
    Brown to the right of that goes to brown of relay wiring AND it also goes to either the black OR the grey wire.

There may be a convention here. Not sure.

The brown wire on the far right goes to the last remaining relay wire.

Assuming of course that the load you are turning on draws less than 0.5Amps.

Caution, not an electrician...

Have it working. Very impressed - great piece of kit for €99:D:D

Wired as follows'
    Blue on far left to blue on relay wiring.
    Brown to the right of that went to brown of relay wiring AND also to the grey wire.

The brown wire on the far right went to the last remaining relay wire which is black.

If you want 2 zones you would need 2 devices.

If you stick with 1 replace time clock and put netatamo in place.

Would you have any idea how it would work if I keep the 2 zones.

I presume if if I go with one unit I would leave the two motorized vales permanently open and just operate as one large zone (entire house,)

Its very difficult to get good set up info from any of these smart thermostats.

lolliedog wrote: »
    Would you have any idea how it would work if I keep the 2 zones.

I presume if if I go with one unit I would leave the two motorized vales permanently open and just operate as one large zone (entire house,)

Its very difficult to get good set up info from any of these smart thermostats.

What I would suggest is keep the timer but use the cables at rear to power the netatamo and follow the wiring. You would have a single zone correct but leave both switches on would be fine as only powered with device.

Its very handy having full control and it learns your habits but also let's you select boost etc and you control how long for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I would suggest leaving timer in too. Just put timer on permanent and install netatmo after it before valves as a backup. I put a bypass switch in so if Netatmo packs up I flick and switch and I'm back to old timeclock.

Not sure how 1 relay could control 2 zones. I seen the option to add another thermostat in the app but netatmo is just a simple relay (essentially a switch).

Maybe put the netatmo controlling both zones. Then put your timeclock on upstairs zone only and set it to not come on as often or certain times only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Has the deal expired?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Has the deal expired?

Out of stock it says.

gutteruu wrote: »
    I would suggest leaving timer in too. Just put timer on permanent and install netatmo after it before valves as a backup. I put a bypass switch in so if Netatmo packs up I flick and switch and I'm back to old timeclock.

Not sure how 1 relay could control 2 zones. I seen the option to add another thermostat in the app but netatmo is just a simple relay (essentially a switch).

Maybe put the netatmo controlling both zones. Then put your timeclock on upstairs zone only and set it to not come on as often or certain times only.

Because I have a combined boiler and don't need to worry about hot water control I could set up as follows.

I think that I could replace the old apt24 time clock with the relay and leave the switch for the downstairs zone permanently on which in turn keeps the motorized valve open. The downstairs is then regulated by the netamo thermostat.

For upstairs maybe I can replace the switch for opening the motorized valve with a second relay and then control the on/off with a second netatmo thermostat.

Maybe someone can shed some light if they would have any concerns regarding this set up.
    Is it possible in the app?

Each unit can only control one thing. There is no option of say hot water or rads.

Its fine to have 2 if you still want zones seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Bargain Alerts, more suitable here going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

So just got this installed today. Havent been home yet to fiddle with it. Whats the best way to get the most out of it?

Havign looked at the app there, there is an option to put yourself as away. Is this for daytime when you are at work or is it for holidays etc.

I read about it being smart in terms of monitoring when you are at home etc. Could this mean the heating could turn on when your not home because you would ususally be home at this time etc.

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

richy wrote: »
    So just got this installed today. Havent been home yet to fiddle with it. Whats the best way to get the most out of it?

Havign looked at the app there, there is an option to put yourself as away. Is this for daytime when you are at work or is it for holidays etc.

I read about it being smart in terms of monitoring when you are at home etc. Could this mean the heating could turn on when your not home because you would ususally be home at this time etc.

As far as I can figure, Away is more for when you are away for a few hours (at work), while Frost-Guard is when you are "away" for a longer period (e.g. holidays for a week).

Frost-Guard, turns on the heat if the temperature drops below 7 Celsius (to protect pipes from freezing up), while "Away" turns on the heat if the temperature drops below 12 Celsius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I would be more inclined to say that the away feature is for when you are not in the house for a period of 24 - 48 hours. I'm sure there is a sweet spot temperature whereby it's better for energy usage to keep it above that for a short period (not sure if that sentence makes sense).
    I certainly wouldn't be using it frequently for when I am in work because you have to remember to turn it off again. If you don't want the heating to come on during work, just turn the temp on the week clock down for your working hours.

Any longer than 1 or 2 days is when I would think about using frost guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You can get the Netatmo for £99 if you order an amazon echo dot as well, total bundle is €148.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Very happy with my 2 Netatmos.
    Biggest problem that they have solved is that the stats they replaced were in completely stupid locations. With this promotion they worked out cheaper than "dumb" Honeywell wireless stats AND have remote control etc.
    The "smart" features are more of a bonus than a main objective for me - I'm happy to have my two zones at the ACTUAL temperature I want, and steady at that temperature.

Regarding programs/away/frost - this is my take on it:
    The app/webapp ask you 5 questions about your schedule and puts together a weekly program to reflect your answers.
    This, for most people, will leave you with heat in the morning, heat in the evening and heat during the day at weekends.
    If I'm gonna be away ALL day at the weekend, I set away. This must be manually unset in advance of your return if you want the system to heat up in time. Away for a few hours - set a lower manual setpoint - note that you can decide the default duration of these manual set points somewhere.
    Away for for a week - Christmas, january or whatever - select frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Anyone interested in seeing schedules? I'm kind of interested what temps people set. Here's mine;
    wACpLCV.png

The yellow is 21 degrees as my water is heated by my boiler. 30 min in the morning and evening is plenty.
    I have a back boiler on my stove that heats water and rads too. When I have that lit, it normally gets my house up to about 22 degrees so the heating shouldn't come on at all when stove is lit.

Other than that, each default temp is set 1 degree lower than recommended because I am cheap.

I'll probably have to tweak as the weather gets colder / warmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

d31b0y wrote: »
    Other than that, each default temp is set 1 degree lower than recommended because I am cheap.

I tried that, but the missus keeps finding the thermostat and bumping it up :)

Mine hasn't worked it out yet and I only have app on phone so full control. Its nice going home to a comfortable temp house and not the sauna it once was ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

d31b0y wrote: »
    Anyone interested in seeing schedules? I'm kind of interested what temps people set. Here's mine;

The yellow is 21 degrees as my water is heated by my boiler. 30 min in the morning and evening is plenty.
    I have a back boiler on my stove that heats water and rads too. When I have that lit, it normally gets my house up to about 22 degrees so the heating shouldn't come on at all when stove is lit.

I'll probably have to tweak as the weather gets colder / warmer.

I had to move my comfort number up to 20, I was shivering at 19, you must be well wrapped up at 18!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Winterlong wrote: »
    I bought the €99 box direct from Netamo and could not get it to work, replacing a timer switch.
    Electrician came out and nor could he. The relay is faulty. Pesky pesk.

Finally got my Netamo sent back to me today. According to their diagnostics report they found the problem with the relay and fixed it.
    But the bloody relay is dead as a do do.
    Does not do anything when connected to the boiler. Does not do anything when connected to a wall socket via their adapter. No blinking blue lights.
    So looks like I will have to go thru their RMA process again. FFS. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Winterlong wrote: »
    Finally got my Netamo sent back to me today. According to their diagnostics report they found the problem with the relay and fixed it.
    But the bloody relay is dead as a do do.
    Does not do anything when connected to the boiler. Does not do anything when connected to a wall socket via their adapter. No blinking blue lights.
    So looks like I will have to go thru their RMA process again. FFS. :mad:

Have you tried long pressing the button at the bottom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Have you tried long pressing the button at the bottom?

Yes, tried pressing it. Tried holding it in. Nada!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Mine hasn't worked it out yet and I only have app on phone so full control.

You can also log in online at https://my.netatmo.com/app/therm

Heres mine. Looks like I'm making maggots compared to the other temps here. Its never actually got up to the hot one yet. Usually levels out at 23. It did come on itself the other day. I could see on graph it was falling quickly that day so it stepped in hours before it was due to come on. I'm impressed.

cNGfHfT.jpg

gutteruu wrote: »
    You can also log in online at https://my.netatmo.com/app/therm

Heres mine. Looks like I'm making maggots compared to the other temps here. Its never actually got up to the hot one yet. Usually levels out at 23. It did come on itself the other day. I could see on graph it was falling quickly that day so it stepped in hours before it was due to come on. I'm impressed.

cNGfHfT.jpg

Sorry I wasn't to clear. I meant the girlfriend can't figure it out... But I'm sure she will some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

What do you need 20 degrees while you are asleep for ! :pac:

• Advertisement

What do you need 20 degrees while you are asleep for ! :pac:

How you know they sleep......

They are very high temperatures alright.

Advertisement