Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I had to move my comfort number up to 20, I was shivering at 19, you must be well wrapped up at 18!

Humidity and drafts are a big feature to warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I go 21.5 from 8am to 9pm and then the boiler is fully off until 8am the next day

Doesn't dip below 21.5 much during the day in my house though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, a modern well insulated home really doesn't take much heat to stay warm in my experience.

According to my old smart thermostat, the temperature very rarely dipped below 17 and only ever once reached 15 and that was when I was away on holidays for Christmas for two weeks with the heating off!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, a modern well insulated home really doesn't take much heat to stay warm in my experience.

According to my old smart thermostat, the temperature very rarely dipped below 17 and only ever once reached 15 and that was when I was away on holidays for Christmas for two weeks with the heating off!

bk wrote: »

Unfortunately the wide thinks its cold whenever the radiators aren't warm !

She has no access to the app and i watch it like a hawk in case she turns it up manually :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Can you share the graph of how often the heating comes on during the day for you? How many hours is the heating actually running?
    Mine hasn't been installed long enough to get a decent average of how long it's on for.

I'm never too sure if I am better off keeping a slightly higher ambient temperature in the house instead of turning it on for a blitz for an hour if it's particularly cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

d31b0y wrote: »
    Can you share the graph of how often the heating comes on during the day for you? How many hours is the heating actually running?

I'm never too sure if I am better off keeping a slightly higher ambient temperature in the house instead of turning it on for a blitz for an hour if it's particularly cold.

It all depends on your insulation. My house doesn't retain heat well, so keeping a higher ambient Temperature means it's always on. Blitzing works better. Although blitzing doesn't make a difference because the boiler isn't variable

Yeah its totally down to insulation

Can't share the graph but since 8am the boiler has been on for less than an hour and temp 21.5

Since I installed my Netatmo on the 22nd of October, the boiler has been on for a total of 37 hours.

That is 37 hours for the last 17 days (we were away for 3 of the last 20).

Since I installed my Netatmo on the 22nd of October, the boiler has been on for a total of 37 hours.

That is 37 hours for the last 17 days (we were away for 3 of the last 20).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Does anyone know if the netatmo is compatible with an Ideal Classic NF 50 boiler?
    Thanks for helping

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

earlyapex wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the netatmo is compatible with an Ideal Classic NF 50 boiler?
    Thanks for helping

I couldn't see why not.

The netatmo comprises in essence of a switch and a thermostat.

The switch usually replaces the time clock/controls.

The thermostat (fancy bit on the wall) communicates with the switch by radio link or it can be connected to the WiFi and controlled remotely.

earlyapex wrote: »
    Thanks for helping

Most Smart Thermostats are compatible with most boilers in Ireland.

It is more of a case of how your boiler is currently wired up and if you have multiple zones or not, including hot water. Also depending on your existing wiring you could install it yourself as a DIY job or if it is more complicated get an electrician to do it.

Most boilers are simply controlled by switching them on and off, that is all they are.

Zoning is typically separate to a boiler and depends on your piping and controls. Netatmo does support multiple zones, you just have to get a Netatmo Thermostat for each zone.

What Netatmo doesn't support and which is sometimes common in Ireland is a separate hot water zone on the boiler *

* As an aside, I don't know why it doesn't it would be really easy for Netatmo to add a hot water zone option like Nest does, it is just a switch after all, I suppose it is because their are a french company and such hot water zones aren't common in mainland Europe. Mainly because the way we do hot water in Ireland is completely idiotic and inefficient.

Just thinking

Could youbuse a wemo plug to start the boiler to heat the water. Assuming it has no motorized valve.

Then connect the switch that comes with the netatmo to the zone valve.

Might be a cheap way of 2 zones.

Only drawback it would have to perform 2 tasks on your phone. 1 task to turn on boiler and 2nd to turn on zone valve. This could be overcome if the opening of the zone valve used the built in micro switch to fire the boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

The temperatures I posted are high but they are just the setpoints, not the heating time. Its set to 20 during the night but its usually warmer in the house anyway. I just set it so it doesn't dip low and need a blitz to get back up to temp in the morning. I find it more efficient to keep heating at an average temp and not hot or cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hi All,

Posted this query in another thread and have the same query regarding the Netatmo.

We currently have a warmflow whitebird 70/90 oil fired boiler controlled with a immermat flash timer, no thermostats, so a simple on/off timer which does both the heat and hot water.

Looking at the Netatmo website it would appear that it is not compatible, can't find anything on other websites stating if it will work or not. My thinking is that we would be replacing the timer with the likes of the relay which would then be linked to the thermostat and controlled via the app etc.

Thanks for any advice.

THE ALM wrote: »
    Hi All,

Posted this query in another thread and have the same query regarding the Netatmo.

We currently have a warmflow whitebird 70/90 oil fired boiler controlled with a immermat flash timer, no thermostats, so a simple on/off timer which does both the heat and hot water.

Looking at the Netatmo website it would appear that it is not compatible, can't find anything on other websites stating if it will work or not. My thinking is that we would be replacing the timer with the likes of the relay which would then be linked to the thermostat and controlled via the app etc.

Thanks for any advice.

Netatmo will work.

lolliedog wrote: »
    Netatmo will work.

Thanks lolliedog, just wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just thinking

Could youbuse a wemo plug to start the boiler to heat the water. Assuming it has no motorized valve.

Then connect the switch that comes with the netatmo to the zone valve.

Might be a cheap way of 2 zones.

Only drawback it would have to perform 2 tasks on your phone. 1 task to turn on boiler and 2nd to turn on zone valve. This could be overcome if the opening of the zone valve used the built in micro switch to fire the boiler.

My understanding is that you shouldn't control your boiler via the main power. It stops the boiler doing it's non fuel burning related tasks like continuing to circulate heat etc.

My understanding is that you shouldn't control your boiler via the main power. It stops the boiler doing it's non fuel burning related tasks like continuing to circulate heat etc.

I'm not sure, but isn't a time clock really only a fancy plug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its in layman's terms yes.

You can use the netatamo no problems as said above.

Maybe, it depends on how you do the hot water.

Is the hot water on a separate zone or is it just heated when the boiler is on?

If the former, then no, Netatmo won't work as it currently doesn't support hot water zones, you need to look at Nest instead which does have support for this.

If it is the latter and you are happy with always turning on the heat to also heat the water, then yes Netatmo should work fine.

A timer on a boiler isn't (or shouldn't be!) turning the whole boiler on and off, only the burner. Having said that, I can't find the article I had in my head re not doing it via a plug timer. Googling suggests the main issue is getting a timer rated for the switch-on current of the boiler, I am remembering there is a more fundamental issue, but I can't find a reference to that so I am possibly mis-remembering.

A timer on a boiler isn't (or shouldn't be!) turning the whole boiler on and off, only the burner. Having said that, I can't find the article I had in my head re not doing it via a plug timer. Googling suggests the main issue is getting a timer rated for the switch-on current of the boiler, I am remembering there is a more fundamental issue, but I can't find a reference to that so I am possibly mis-remembering.

Found it, it was actually in reply to a post of mine from 7 years ago!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58203309

Note that in the end, based on the advice in that thread, I put in a home made raspberry pi/solid state relay based system that worked great but didn't have a thermostat which is why I've now switched to the Netatmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

Thanks for your responses.
    I have a single zone system so the netatmo suits my needs, its just that my ideal classic boiler is not listed on the netatmo website and I wasn't sure of it being compatible.

I emailed them some details of my setup like it said at the end of the compatibility test and have not heard anything back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭Heroditas

* As an aside, I don't know why it doesn't it would be really easy for Netatmo to add a hot water zone option like Nest does, it is just a switch after all, I suppose it is because their are a french company and such hot water zones aren't common in mainland Europe. Mainly because the way we do hot water in Ireland is completely idiotic and inefficient.

The main reason is because we have hot water cylinders while most of Europe have combi boilers. Only 10% of the UK market, for example, has hot water cylinders.
    It's actually not that easy to control the hot water because you need either a thermostat that is strapped onto the cylinder (difficult if it's already insulated) or else have the stat in the cylinder itself. Then you need your motorised valve separating the water and heating loops. That also needs to be controlled.
    It's eminently doable but all that costs money whereas what you effectively have with Netatmo is a fancy on/off switch.

Maybe, it depends on how you do the hot water.

Is the hot water on a separate zone or is it just heated when the boiler is on?

If the former, then no, Netatmo won't work as it currently doesn't support hot water zones, you need to look at Nest instead which does have support for this.

If it is the latter and you are happy with always turning on the heat to also heat the water, then yes Netatmo should work fine.

Just heated when the boiler is on so Netatmo should work. As an aside would splitting the zones be a big job as it would he great to heat water separately without having to heat the whole house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just heated when the boiler is on so Netatmo should work. As an aside would splitting the zones be a big job as it would he great to heat water separately without having to heat the whole house.

With netatamo not possible.

Nest can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Netatmo will work if the situation is as described - no zones/channels, just all or nothing. It's actually the "textbook" example from the netatmo instructions - Netatmo closes a switch between two terminals on the boiler and tells it to fire up. Isn't it?

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    The main reason is because we have hot water cylinders while most of Europe have combi boilers. Only 10% of the UK market, for example, has hot water cylinders.

Yup, that is what I meant by an idiotic set up. It was a revelation to me when I moved into my apartment with a combi-boiler, instantaneous boiling hot water, 24/7 with non of that heating a tank of water nonsense common to Irish houses.

Well the SEAI has some serious grants at the moment for replacing old boilers with new, energy efficient models. You could get a combi-boiler like mine where the hot water is heated on-demand rather then a tank.

Netatmo works with this setup no problem, as the boiler switches on to heat the water when the water is flowing, independent of the rads heating.

The SEAI grant would cover most of the cost of this, while the savings from more energy efficiency would cover the rest.
    Netatmo will work if the situation is as described - no zones/channels, just all or nothing. It's actually the "textbook" example from the netatmo instructions - Netatmo closes a switch between two terminals on the boiler and tells it to fire up. Isn't it?

Basically yes, that is how almost all Thermostat/switches work.

Advertisement