Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Most I've seen is a 5-10 minute lag in reporting of temperature changes, if you're seeing (and verifying) anything greater than that you should contact support and potentially RMA the device as it could be faulty.

Will do but will probably need a separate thermometer to know if it is indeed inaccurate.
    bk wrote: »
    Could it be a case of the Thermostat unit is in a different room (i.e. Hall) to where you are normally. Maybe the rooms are different temps. Also is your Thermostat over or near a rad, that can cause a difference too.

Like yllw.ldbttr I've found it to be very accurate.

In the same room as me. Actually, right next to me. Will contact them I suppose. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Well I've attached photos of my heating set up. Is it suitable for smart set up?
    The timer on top left is heating timer. With power switch to right of it. The bottom left double switch is for pumps as in other photo. One for down stair and other for upstairs. To be honest both are always on. I had to check this evening to be sure what they were for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Basically just take supply and switched supply from timer.

You could leave all in place and run a new cable out as to keep things tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

Lads does anybody know if this works with a ideal classic boiler?i tried replacing the two wire thermostat but it did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Just got the Thermostat installed and a few noobie questions
    • Is there a way of just turning the system off completely. Its set up to a schedule but how can I turn it off and back on again when I want to.
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]How do I change the schedule for the weekends as work Mon-Friday so won t be the same schedule.[/font]
    • [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Similar to the above. I did the quiz and gave time I leave house and back etc but I want to change the times how can I do this[/font]
    Still figuring it out but these are the first questions that came to mind

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

To turn it off, change it to frost-guard mode. It doesn't totally turn it off, but it isn't a good idea to ever completely turn a boiler off. Instead in frost-guard mode the thermostat will only turn on the heating if the temperature drops below 7c. This is a good idea as it protects the pipes from freezing in very cold temperature.

There is also the away mode, this overrides the schedule, similar to the frost-guard mode, but doesn't leave the temperature drop below 16c.

I'd use the frost-guard mode if away for a few weeks, and away mode if away for a day or two.

You can change the schedule for the weekend or any day. In the app, click on the clock symbol in the upper right hand corner and you can then edit the schedule.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Does anyone know what the default schedule is if you don't do the survey? Can someone check? Thanks

I just managed to delete the default schedule! I'd like to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Does anyone know what the default schedule is if you don't do the survey? Can someone check? Thanks

I just managed to delete the default schedule! I'd like to get it back.

Would this help ?

https://ifttt.com/applets/327216p-set-thermostat-to-default-schedule

Thanks, but no, it is actually the details of the default schedule that I need. As in set temperature to x, between hours y and z on Monday, etc.

I've a schedule created now via the survey, but I liked the really conservative schedule that it created by default, but which I've now accidentally deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi
    [*][font=Calibri","sans-serif]How do I change the schedule for the weekends as work Mon-Friday so won t be the same schedule.[/font]
    [*][font=Calibri","sans-serif]Similar to the above. I did the quiz and gave time I leave house and back etc but I want to change the times how can I do this[/font]
    [/list]
    Still figuring it out but these are the first questions that came to mind

Thanks

Log on to the My netatmo section of the website and you can easily set your schedules for individual days, or copy an existing one over several days etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Has anyone managed to force a stat to relearn and reapply the predictive algorithm?

I have two stats - one learned its new algorithm fine for predictive heating.
    The other hasn't. Well, I think it did but I fumblefingered something on the phone in a hurry and I don't think it applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Don't suppose anyone knows of someone selling one or if there's Black Friday deals on them anywhere?
    The only code on the Netatmo site is for €20 off making it €159.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gav107

reading through the thread I think I can replace my existing wired thermo with the Netatmo Relay and use the Netatmo Thermo wirelessly then - am I reading that correctly.

Second Q is if it'll work with this setup https://[REMOVE]1drv.ms/i/s!AmEIFi0Od-nkgZ0x35h53KmvFK-acQ

(not enough posts to post a full URL (despite an 11 yr old account ;) ) so just take our the [REMOVE] to get the URL - thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dmaprelude

podger79 wrote: »
    Lads does anybody know if this works with a ideal classic boiler?i tried replacing the two wire thermostat but it did nothing.

Would also be interested to know this.

Still figuring this out and when you decrease the temperature down to zero it switches off. Have the program mode set up and just figuring out how to change times it comes on and off and changing this for the weekend

Still figuring this out and when you decrease the temperature down to zero it switches off. Have the program mode set up and just figuring out how to change times it comes on and off and changing this for the weekend

Well you shouldn't reduce the temperature down to zero!

If you are away for a few days and it is very cold, then your pipes might freeze.

The boiler is off when the house temperature is greater then the set temperature. So lets say the house is currently 20c and you set the thermostat to 15c, then it will switch off the boiler. The Boiler will only switch on then if the house temperature drops below 15c (e.g. 14c) and it will switch off again when the temperature reaches 15c.

I would never set the thermostat to 0c, as that risks freezing the pipes and doing serious and very expensive damage to your heating system. I wouldn't set the temperature lower then 7c which is the equivalent of the frost-guard mode.

Usually, if I want to switch off the heat manually I just set it 2 or 3c below the current house temperature. So if the temperature is currently 20c and I want to turn off the boiler, I'd just set it to 17 or 18c and that will usually switch it off immediately.

My apartment very rarely drops below 17c anyway (even without the heat on), I've only once ever seen it hit 15c in the 2 years of having a previous wifi thermostat and that was when we were away for 2 weeks at Christmas with the heat off.

Well you shouldn't reduce the temperature down to zero!

If you are away for a few days and it is very cold, then your pipes might freeze.

The boiler is off when the house temperature is greater then the set temperature. So lets say the house is currently 20c and you set the thermostat to 15c, then it will switch off the boiler. The Boiler will only switch on then if the house temperature drops below 15c (e.g. 14c) and it will switch off again when the temperature reaches 15c.

I would never set the thermostat to 0c, as that risks freezing the pipes and doing serious and very expensive damage to your heating system. I wouldn't set the temperature lower then 7c which is the equivalent of the frost-guard mode.

Usually, if I want to switch off the heat manually I just set it 2 or 3c below the current house temperature. So if the temperature is currently 20c and I want to turn off the boiler, I'd just set it to 17 or 18c and that will usually switch it off immediately.

My apartment very rarely drops below 17c anyway (even without the heat on), I've only once ever seen it hit 15c in the 2 years of having a previous wifi thermostat and that was when we were away for 2 weeks at Christmas with the heat off.
    Yeah I don't switch it off was just messing around and found this out when I reduced it to Zero. I have set temp and if room goes below that it switches on. I may wait for the first bill to see. If I am away will turn on the frost guard

Yeah I don't switch it off was just messing around and found this out when I reduced it to Zero. I have set temp and if room goes below that it switches on. I may wait for the first bill to see. If I am away will turn on the frost guard

Sure, that is pretty much how all thermostats work. The heat turns on when the temperature drops below the set temperature. Even the old style clock thermos worked this way.

These new smart thermostats basically work in exactly the same way. They just make it easier to program and allow you to control them more easily and remotely.

If the heat is coming on more often then you want, just set the temperature in the schedule to even lower. Just don't set it too low. Better to spend an extra €10 a year on gas, then have to spend thousands fixing up burst pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Netatmo have 25% off site wide until 28/11/2016.

Use code 'BF2016' at checkout. Emblazoned on their home page too.

Makes the thermostat €135 approx. Their site is very slow at the moment, don't know if that includes postage.
    Might be worth holding out in case it appears on Amazon for less in the meantime (currently £145 on amazon.co.uk).

Just got one from Amazon for 106 GBP delivered. Works out about 125 EUR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Netatmo and echo dot reduced to £124.90
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LW958A0/ref=gw_AUCC_bisc_BF16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Quick question for a friend.

If you are setting up Netatmo for two zones (downstairs and upstairs) where you directly replace an existing thermostat with the Netatmo Thermostat Unit, do you use two relays or can the two Netatmo Thermostat units connect to one relay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone seeing odd behaviour with their thermostat? Set mine to away yesterday for a few hours but ever since I took it out of away mode any sort of adjustment to the schedule such as increasing/decreasing the temperature for a period results in it either returning to away mode afterwards, or switching off like it did this evening, rather than the set schedule.

I'm wondering if it might have been down to the version of the app as when experimenting I noticed that each time I opened it it would have the temperature set to 2 degrees above my schedule and indicating it was in manual mode, even though I hadn't changed it. I installed the latest version anyway so will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

If you are setting up Netatmo for two zones (downstairs and upstairs) where you directly replace an existing thermostat with the Netatmo Thermostat Unit, do you use two relays or can the two Netatmo Thermostat units connect to one relay?

I enquired before and one option was too wire in the relay in place of the existing wall thermostat. The netatmo thermostat then calls for heat, the relay opens the motorized valve and the micro switch on the motorized valves turns on the boiler. With this system you would need a relay to replace all wall hard wired stats.

Well two relays will definitely work. But I guess you know that.
    Can't say if one relay to two stats will work, sorry. I suspect it won't... I don't think the system really cares whether it is the relay in the stat box or the relay in the relay box that is actually switching things on - they will both switch when the set point is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Nermal

Normal boiler, no zones, but do have a manual lever on a pipe in the hot-press to allow water only or water plus rads to be heated.

Will I pass the compatibility test?

Nermal wrote: »
    Normal boiler, no zones, but do have a manual lever on a pipe in the hot-press to allow water only or water plus rads to be heated.

Will I pass the compatibility test?

I have the exact same and passed and installed it just check netatmo website and ensure good WiFi

FYI, netatmo support have informed me that a "factory reset" is "push the button on the relay box and hold for 20 seconds".

Factory reset is my terminology but it does seem to be something you don't do lightly.

• Advertisement

Anyone replaced a Grasslin Towerchron timer with the Netatmo that would like to pass on the wiring setup?

Advertisement