Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Can someone please query when is multi zone be available with the service (with the installer or Energia)?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

OU812 wrote: »
    When did you register ? How long between you filling out the form & then calling you? I still haven't heard anything yet
    They didn't actually send out an email confirmation of me filling in the form so I'm not sure, but about a week? Note that I the boiler service for this week so they are not out the door (assuming the actual device installation is as quick!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Pique wrote: »
    Or a longer USB lead :)

The usb socket is inside the relay which is covered by the connector that has the wire leading to your boiler. I couldn't get to it without taking the relay off the wall and disconnecting the connector :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just got the service done from energia and the service engineer told me the netamo is usually fitted within a week.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For those interested in getting the newer Smartphone (siri compatible) model, Amazon have a pretty great bundle deal of the Netatamo Thermostat Smart model + Amazon Echo Dot for £149:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LW958A0/

As the Netatmo Thermostat Smart model normally cost £140 on it's own and an Amazon Echo Dot costs £50, you are basically getting £40 off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it worth reading through the Echo thread? In another thread on boards I saw it briefly mention that it was a disappointment in Ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is it worth reading through the Echo thread? In another thread on boards I saw it briefly mention that it was a disappointment in Ireland?

I love it and my OH has also fallen in love with it and would now murder me if I was to sell it now!

I think it depends on what your usage is and what your expectations are.

If you are a spotify premium or Amazon Prime music user, then I think the Echo or Dot are well worth it. It is spotify premium usage in the living room/kitchen that my OH has fallen in love with. The place is always full of music.

Also if you have a lot of home automation tech (e.g. Philips Hue lights, Netatmo Thermostat, Logitech Harmony, etc.) then it can do a great job of controlling those in a pleasant and convenient manner.

However if you don't have any of the above, then it probably isn't worth it as just a fancy bluetooth speaker. At least for now.

As for support for Ireland. Actually most stuff that works in the UK also works in Ireland. There are only one or two areas of difference:

You can't just say "Alexa, what is the weather like", you have to say, "Alexa, what is the weather like in Dublin". A whole two extra words!

Also the question "Alexa, what is the traffic like on my commute", likely only works in Dublin for now and not anywhere else in the country.

But that is all, pretty much everything else seems to work.

Actually just thinking about it. We also use it a lot for timers (cooking). And for adding items to a family shared todo list and shopping list. They seem like small things, but handy all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Got the call today, about a week since sending in the form. Annoying the way the netamato is installed at a later date. Real stinger as well if they come out and find out it can't be installed. But here's hoping everything is ok to install.

The first guy that comes out to do the service checks if your system is compatible with it, no point sending out an electrician with the plumber/gas guy if the electrician can't do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The first guy that comes out to do the service checks if your system is compatible with it, no point sending out an electrician with the plumber/gas guy if the electrician can't do anything.

A plumber is qualified to do the install.

ted1 wrote: »
    A plumber is qualified to do the install.

Or rather a Registered Gas Installer (RGI). Electrical work is part of their training.

A RGI would usually also be a plumber, but the reverse isn't always true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    Or rather a Registered Gas Installer (RGI). Electrical work is part of their training.

A RGI would usually also be a plumber, but the reverse isn't always true.

That's true, my assumption was that energia would use an RGI (who you would expect to be a plumbers but could be taxi drivers. )

Either way, two different guys.

Either way, two different guys.

That is the weird thing, it shouldn't require two different guys. A RGI should have the skills and training to also install heating control systems. They do it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Am I right in saying that this Netatmo cannot deal with 2 heat zones and 1 Hot water zone?
    All I'm looking for is a device that I can control with an app that I can simply turn any of the zones, on or off.....does this exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

This will work with 2 heating zones that is why I have bought it but you need 2 seperate units to do that.

As for hot water you will just need to use your existing timer for that as that is something that you don't really change I would have thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

reni10 wrote: »
    This will work with 2 heating zones that is why I have bought it but you need 2 seperate units to do that.

As for hot water you will just need to use your existing timer for that as that is something that you don't really change I would have thought?

I'm using two netatmos for the heating zones, but like above I want a thermostatic smart device for my hot water. The reason for me is that I have solar heating for the water, so I only want to fire the boiler to heat water if the temp at the middle or top of the tank is below a certain temperature.
    In summer I usually have loads of hot water, whereas in winter I often do not.
    My current timer does have a thermostat on the hot water tank but it's connected to the bottom of the water tank, so not ideal, as in the mornings the bottom of the tank will always be colder than a reasonable temp, while the tank might actually have 150 litres of hot usable water.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wrong forum really I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I specified this in the past for a load of social housing - unfortunately never got feedback on how the job went as th eclient pulled funding, nevertheless this might fit the bill:

http://www.hewalex.eu/en/page/g-422-and-g-425-controllers-overview-of-functions-and-features.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

I'm using two netatmos for the heating zones, but like above I want a thermostatic smart device for my hot water. The reason for me is that I have solar heating for the water, so I only want to fire the boiler to heat water if the temp at the middle or top of the tank is below a certain temperature.
    In summer I usually have loads of hot water, whereas in winter I often do not.
    My current timer does have a thermostat on the hot water tank but it's connected to the bottom of the water tank, so not ideal, as in the mornings the bottom of the tank will always be colder than a reasonable temp, while the tank might actually have 150 litres of hot usable water.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wrong forum really I assume.
    Would a normal cylinder thermostat (see this example) fulfil your requirements? This is just a contact thermostat - the back of the stat is in contact with the cylinder metal body. You set the heat you require on the dial and it will turn on/off valve/boiler as required.
    Another option would be to clip it around the hot water feed pipe at the top of the cylinder.

Depending on your cylinder type you may have blanks where you can insert a probe type thermostat at different levels for more accurate temperature measurement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Zilog wrote: »
    Would a normal cylinder thermostat (see this example) fulfil your requirements? This is just a contact thermostat - the back of the stat is in contact with the cylinder metal body. You set the heat you require on the dial and it will turn on/off valve/boiler as required.
    Another option would be to clip it around the hot water feed pipe at the top of the cylinder.

Depending on your cylinder type you may have blanks where you can insert a probe type thermostat at different levels for more accurate temperature measurement.

There are blanks, but they are being used by a probe for the solar.. Id say what I need is something like the above cylinder thermostat but with a probe as the blank is partially used.
    Any idea where I might source.

It looks like there's an existing thermostat, as I mentioned, but it's at the bottom of the tank, so effectively useless, if I got one like the above with a probe then I could connect it there instead.

Then set the hot water time to come on every day but have it limited by temperature so that if I have hot water already in the tank from the solar, then the boiler would not fire, even if it's timed to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Do you have to get a BER survey done if you go with the €85 deal through Energia?
    I have a BER report for my house from about 2 years ago by previous owner, no upgrades since then in case that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Keith186 wrote: »
    Do you have to get a BER survey done if you go with the €85 deal through Energia?

You only need to do the BER if you want grant money from SEAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

If you buy the Netatmo yourself can you actually apply for the SEAI grant to cover the price of them?

reni10 wrote: »
    If you buy the Netatmo yourself can you actually apply for the SEAI grant to cover the price of them?

You need to apply for the grant first and have an SEAI registered fitter to install it to be able to get the grant and then you need a new BER to prove it had a positive effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Caillte wrote: »
    You need to apply for the grant first and have an SEAI registered fitter to install it to be able to get the grant and then you need a new BER to prove it had a positive effect.

To be honest it sounds like getting the grant is more hassle than it is worth in this case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Service done and dusted. Very nice and knowledgeable RGI. Unfortunately I'm not compatible with the Netatmo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Caillte wrote: »
    You only need to do the BER if you want grant money from SEAI.

Thanks but are Energia applying for this on my behalf with this offer?

Keith186 wrote: »
    Thanks but are Energia applying for this on my behalf with this offer?

For small things like that it is yeah. But if you do it as part of other works like external insulation then it makes total sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

There are blanks, but they are being used by a probe for the solar.. Id say what I need is something like the above cylinder thermostat but with a probe as the blank is partially used.
    Any idea where I might source.

It looks like there's an existing thermostat, as I mentioned, but it's at the bottom of the tank, so effectively useless, if I got one like the above with a probe then I could connect it there instead.

Then set the hot water time to come on every day but have it limited by temperature so that if I have hot water already in the tank from the solar, then the boiler would not fire, even if it's timed to do so.
    Wouldn't go to B&Q, I'd check out Heatmerchants, they seem to have stores throughout the country. The type of sensor you're looking for is an immersion type. Bear in mind you will need a suitable gland to match and maybe some adaptors to suit your cylinder.

Easy to connect the thermostat in line with your timeclock, therefore if your water is hot enough the heat/boiler will not come on.

Advertisement