Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netatmo Smart Thermostat for €99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

So what's the best deal for netatmo now? I'm with energia but didn't get the email

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Zilog

Promotion from post #10 still works, thermostat delivered for EUR99. Today might be the last day though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

damian139 wrote: »
    So what's the best deal for netatmo now? I'm with energia but didn't get the email

Energia website if you qualify, €85 installed with boiler service.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Energia website if you qualify, €85 installed with boiler service.

Couldnt get link to work so searched for the deal and pricec.was €249

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Tony

showing as 85 here https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/free-netatmo-with-every-gas-boiler-service-%E2%82%AC79
    damian139 wrote: »
    Couldnt get link to work so searched for the deal and pricec.was €249

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

whiterebel wrote: »
    Could be that they make money on the equipment, and installation only is of no interest?

I suspect this is it, you see the same with a lot of trades. They like to claim that "missus the thermostat cost €300," I'm only getting €50 for installing it, when in reality they buy the equipment for about €100 themselves and charge €350 for a job that doesn't even take 30 minutes. A lot of them don't like a well informed client who brings their own equipment.

Perfect example when I wanted to get a leaking tap fixed, they all quoted 150 to 200 because that was a weird tap, no way they could fix it, they would have to install a new tap! But no worries they could do me a great deal on a new tap and install!

I spent €10 myself for a replacement part from Amazon and had it fixed in 15 minutes, having never done a plumbing job in my life before!

In my case, installing Netatmo is easier then wiring a plug. Literally unscrew old thermostat, pull two wires out of back of old thermostat, push two wires into back of Netatmo, screw Netatmo into wall. That is literally it, not even 10 minutes work.

Rocket science it certainly isn't!

I suspect that because Nest is so much more expensive then Netatmo, while the hardware is pretty much exactly the same (all they are is a control board and wireless chip), that Nest are paying quite a bit to the installers to incentivise them to install their system.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bk wrote: »
    I suspect this is it, you see the same with a lot of trades. They like to claim that "missus the thermostat cost €300," I'm only getting €50 for installing it, when in reality they buy the equipment for about €100 themselves and charge €350 for a job that doesn't even take 30 minutes. A lot of them don't like a well informed client who brings their own equipment.

Perfect example when I wanted to get a leaking tap fixed, they all quoted 150 to 200 because that was a weird tap, no way they could fix it, they would have to install a new tap! But no worries they could do me a great deal on a new tap and install!

I spent €10 myself for a replacement part from Amazon and had it fixed in 15 minutes, having never done a plumbing job in my life before!

In my case, installing Netatmo is easier then wiring a plug. Literally unscrew old thermostat, pull two wires out of back of old thermostat, push two wires into back of Netatmo, screw Netatmo into wall. That is literally it, not even 10 minutes work.

Rocket science it certainly isn't!

I suspect that because Nest is so much more expensive then Netatmo, while the hardware is pretty much exactly the same (all they are is a control board and wireless chip), that Nest are paying quite a bit to the installers to incentivise them to install their system.

My problem is I don't have thermostats, which means they will have to go at the gas boiler. I could do a straight switch for a thermostat myself.

Tony wrote: »

Bizarre- it worked! Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks op took the plunge bought one to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All

I have another question that someone might know the answer to

Even if I have my Thermostat set to 18 degrees, the heat seems to stay in the house and it heats way up above that

So much so that I was in a pair of shorts yesterday !!

I know people say not to put a TRV in the same room as the thermostat but if I had the thermostat at say 19 degrees and the smart TRV at 21 degrees should that work ?

I just want to cut out the heat buildup in the house, the radiators stay hot for a long time after the boiler cuts off

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Are you using the Netatmo at the moment? It takes a couple of weeks to learn how your house heats and dissipates so for example it will know that say it sticks the boiler on for an hour, 20 minutes later the house will reach the desired temperature, rather than say keeping the boiler on until it reaches that temperature leasing to a situation like you describe above.

If you're using the Netatmo and it keeps the boiler on after hitting the temperature there's something not quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are you using the Netatmo at the moment? It takes a couple of weeks to learn how your house heats and dissipates so for example it will know that say it sticks the boiler on for an hour, 20 minutes later the house will reach the desired temperature, rather than say keeping the boiler on until it reaches that temperature leasing to a situation like you describe above.

If you're using the Netatmo and it keeps the boiler on after hitting the temperature there's something not quite right.

No, not using the netatmo, it is on the way though !

Thats a good point, cheers, will see how it goes once I have it up and running so

Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi All

I have another question that someone might know the answer to

Even if I have my Thermostat set to 18 degrees, the heat seems to stay in the house and it heats way up above that

So much so that I was in a pair of shorts yesterday !!

I know people say not to put a TRV in the same room as the thermostat but if I had the thermostat at say 19 degrees and the smart TRV at 21 degrees should that work ?

I just want to cut out the heat buildup in the house, the radiators stay hot for a long time after the boiler cuts off

Thanks

The TRVis directly beside the heat source , the thermostat is not, do quite likely there would be a heat loss which results in the TRV cutting out before the thermostat

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Noiz

How long does it take to hear anything back from Energia with their €85 offer with boiler service and Netatmo? I submitted the online application last Wednesday and have heard nothing back from them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Noiz wrote: »
    How long does it take to hear anything back from Energia with their €85 offer with boiler service and Netatmo? I submitted the online application last Wednesday and have heard nothing back from them yet.

I'm waiting 2 weeks and have heard nothing so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Installed mine last night, was a breeze in my simple setup thanks to the photos TheGreenMile posted a few pages back.

It's working a treat, simple to use...

Only issue I have is the attachment between the thermostat and the mobile stand seems very flimsy, anyone else finding that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Have four cables in my thermostat. Two brown, two blue.

Anyone know which two would be the control cables?

Pictures attached below.

Gryzor wrote: »

Only issue I have is the attachment between the thermostat and the mobile stand seems very flimsy, anyone else finding that?

What stand? I don't remember getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What stand? I don't remember getting one.

It's just another square piece, pretty much the same size as the thermostat section. Both clip together so it's more stable when freestanding.

399450.JPG

Gryzor wrote: »
    It's just another square piece, pretty much the same size as the thermostat section. Both clip together so it's more stable when freestanding.

Ah, basically the back of it when using it as a stand alone.

Very first day we had it my wife left it on the stairs. She forgot about it so when coming back down she kicked it from half way up onto a wooden floor below. I was expecting destruction but it survived without a scratch. My daughter has managed to knock it onto the ground a few times also, batteries flying everywhere. So it's obviously sturdier than it feels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Have four cables in my thermostat. Two brown, two blue.

Anyone know which two would be the control cables?

Pictures attached below.

Diagram is showing neutral looping through the stat. One blue in. One blue out.

Live (brown) is being switched by the stat. One brown wire is always live, the other side only live when the stat closes the switch (temp too low).

Caution... not an electrician!

Diagram is showing neutral looping through the stat. One blue in. One blue out.

Live (brown) is being switched by the stat. One brown wire is always live, the other side only live when the stat closes the switch (temp too low).

Caution... not an electrician!

Cheers,

So I'm thinking the two brown are the ones I need for the Netatmo.

Should I leave the neutral alone?

Cheers,

So I'm thinking the two brown are the ones I need for the Netatmo.

Should I leave the neutral alone?

My setup is different. I will be wiring the relaybox and stat will be completely wireless.

If you are happy with where your old thermostat is then yes the brown wires are the ones you want. Do you tape the neutrals and keep them separate... or do you join them. Hmmmm. Need coffee. I GUESS you need to keep them joined just as they are now.

I'm going on the diagram at the back of the box here. From my own experience of celtic tiger house wiring it's. ... rather more freestyle. Please check that the actual wiring reflects the diagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes 1 and 4 are supply and switch supply to control heat.

Neutral need to be together.

Make sure all power is off.

My setup is different. I will be wiring the relaybox and stat will be completely wireless.

If you are happy with where your old thermostat is then yes the brown wires are the ones you want. Do you tape the neutrals and keep them separate... or do you join them. Hmmmm. Need coffee. I GUESS you need to keep them joined just as they are now.

I'm going on the diagram at the back of the box here. From my own experience of celtic tiger house wiring it's. ... rather more freestyle. Please check that the actual wiring reflects the diagram.
    Yes 1 and 4 are supply and switch supply to control heat.

Neutral need to be together.

Make sure all power is off.

Thanks guys appreciate it.

Baxtard eircom is out here. Can't set mine up properly. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Baxtard eircom is out here. Can't set mine up properly. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Why not?

Why not?

I want to update the firmware before I shtick it to the wall. I found it a bit tricky to take the relay connections out of the back of the relay when it was on my desk, I'd break it if it was attached to the wall. I'm doing something wrong there I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Noiz wrote: »
    I'm waiting 2 weeks and have heard nothing so far.

There was about a week between me applying and them contacting me. 2 weeks seems a bit long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I want to update the firmware before I shtick it to the wall. I found it a bit tricky to take the relay connections out of the back of the relay when it was on my desk, I'd break it if it was attached to the wall. I'm doing something wrong there I'd say!

What am i missing here?
    I did firmware updates over bluetooth connection via the android app.

Why are people connecting via USB to update firmware?

Advertisement