Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump vs. Hillary - the 1st Debate. Live on C4, Sky and BBC News

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

They've said that before though

He had won the debates before

Now he cannot even answer the questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Hillary will win narrowly
    Trump clearly doesn't read the polls he says he does - http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

don't go to bed early folks, stick around for the afterparty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

It's not nice and I don't deserve that.

OK I'm calling BS. He's tanking on purpose to gift her the election. How many political favors does a trillion dollar donation get you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Trump will win big
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump saying what I have been saying, Clinton's experience has been bad experience.

Ye have a lot in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Trump's bully-as-victim stance isn't going to play too well. It sounds phoney and makes him look weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hillary crushed it....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that last bit by trump was slimey. Dropping the bit about all these *new immigrant voters* but he will support hilary.

first bit is for his base, second bit so the media doesnt crucify him for his bullsh*t

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    It's not nice and I don't deserve that.

OK I'm calling BS. He's tanking on purpose to gift her the election. How many political favors does a trillion dollar donation get you?
    He needs a safe space. He wants political correctness. Trump fans, this is your idol.

(not directed at you jamiekelly)

NBC: "you can tell the candidates didn't lie.. about how much they prepared for this debate"

lmao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Oh wow. That's was better than I ever expected. He lost his cool in under 10 minutes. He failed to answer questions throughout the debate. Hell, he didn't even manage to provide coherent answers with full sentences to any question.

He really proved tonight that he is the candidate for ignorant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My opinion:

Trump started strong.
    Clinton then took over.
    The last ten minutes or so Trump recovered.

Overall Clinton win.

Trump won on trade.
    Clinton won on Trump's tax, business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I bet the media are going to claim trump aced it.

Oh wow. That's was better than I ever expected. He lost his cool in under 10 minutes. He failed to answer questions throughout the debate. Hell, he didn't even manage to provide coherent answers with full sentences to any question.

He really proved tonight that he is the candidate for ignorant people.

Even biased CNN are not saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Is the Hillary bandwagon full on boards, I can't seem to find a space to jump on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I bet the media are going to claim trump aced it.

Yes. It's called reporting the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hilary said bad things about me ........MOST of them are not even true.

Given how they've been for the last full year, the fact that many Trump supporters have conceded the debate says everything that needs to be said.

Trump will win big
    My opinion:

Trump started strong.
    Clinton then took over.

Overall Clinton win.

Trump won on trade.

Clinton was winning from the start, all the way to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Trump had some car crash answers, his campaign deleting contradictory tweets during the debate will go against him. Clinton should have crucified him in that debate, Sanders and Obama would have destroyed him. I don't think there is a clear winner here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Trump will win narrowly
    Very surprised, but think Trump just gave it away, and it's reflected now in the betting markets.
    Not a great choice to have for anyone: fairly stupid vs fairly corrupt.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_03_45_16.png

My opinion:

Trump started strong.
    Clinton then took over.

Overall Clinton win.

Trump won on trade.

He was strong until Clinton's opening statement. His was the most embarrassing debate performance I've ever seen. And I'm even including Rubio's infamous performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

He may not agree to the next two debates. If he goes again, and she does the same, which is likely, it's all over for him, he def won't do the third debate.

Hillary slaughter him, mind you, he did most of the work himself.

Thank fug for that

longshanks wrote: »
    Clinton was winning from the start, all the way to the end.

Trump won on trade. He had a strong start to the debate.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Trump had some car crash answers, his campaign deleting contradictory tweets during the debate will go against him. Clinton should have crucified him in that debate, Sanders and Obama would have destroyed him. I don't think there is a clear winner here
    Lay off the Duff, man.

;)

Very surprised, but think Trump just gave it away, and it's reflected now in the betting markets.
    Not a great choice to have for anyone: fairly stupid vs fairly corrupt.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_27_at_03_45_16.png

Significant movement on that, I've given up on the betting markets for politics after Brexit but that's a big movement.

Apparently Trump interrupted Clinton 40 times in the first hour. It'll be interesting to see if that shows her as weak or him as rude!

Rough trade?

lol.

G'wan away with ye.

Not even a dog would call this anything but a huge loss for Trump.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Lay off the Duff, man.

;)

I really don't though, I watched it wanting Clinton to take control. I was unimpressed with her performance considering how weak Trump is on policy. It'll be interesting to see the polls in the next few days

• Advertisement

Significant movement on that, I've given up on the betting markets for politics after Brexit but that's movement.

Apparently Trump interrupted Clinton 40 times in the first hour. It'll be interesting to see if that shows her as weak or him as rude!

only if it takes her off message, but she was clearly very extensively prepared to debate someone who would aim to speak out of turn. A lot of the time she continued her response as if his mouth was still shut.

Trump will win big

No he didn't, all he did was start a sentence, change direction half way through it, talk about his businesses, sniff, wave his hands, then contradict himself. For 96 minutes.

Haha, already claiming he never said he doesn't pay federal taxes.

Tax return issue solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Trump will win big
    What Trump is really peddling is that he's going to bring jobs back to the US. That is what the electorate really want. It's the economy stupid.

Whatever about that, I don't think Trump's hysterical points really came off in a TV debate.

I think he would do badly against anyone, regardless of the opponent.

It wasn't so much Hillary won, more than Trump lost.

Trump will win big
    Bed time.

He was strong until Clinton's opening statement. His was the most embarrassing debate performance I've ever seen. And I'm even including Rubio's infamous performance.

Jake Tapper on CNN and one of their other news guys just said Trump started stronger too.

You can say Trump started stronger, one can be so biased that the bias is bordering on blind hate.
    I can say Trump started stronger before Clinton took over and say what I and others saw.

• Advertisement

learn_more wrote: »
    What Trump is really peddling is that he's going to bring jobs back to the US. That is what the electorate really want. It's the economy stupid.

Whatever about that, I don't think Trump's hysterical points really came off in a TV debate.

I think he would do badly against anyone, regardless of the opponent.

It wasn't so much Hillary won, more than Trump lost.
    And what really killed him was he kept getting asked on it, and could not answer it early on.

Brokaw is right that Trump and his team did not look happy in the spin room after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Trump was very strong, better than
    I expected.

Good on trade and the tired politician line.

Overall, started well, weakened towards the middle and I'd say Hillary won the end.

Trump was treated very fairly, the mainstream media stuff might go against him, he was trying to appear the victim.

Hillary strong on race and him paying no tax, as far as we know.

Lots of stuff for Hillary to work on. Trump said guns need to be taken away from people, Hillary should have been straight on top of that. NRA folks would go ballistic! on that.

Trump was poor on race despite his best efforts.

Hillary excellent on Muslims and foreign policy.

Hillary needs to be more positive.

How come John Kerry doesn't come in near for the same criticism as Hillary on foreign policy stuff?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

longshanks wrote: »
    No he didn't, all he did was start a sentence, change direction half way through it, talk about his businesses, sniff, wave his hands, then contradict himself. For 96 minutes.

Even CNN agrees with what I said.

Overheal wrote: »
    only if it takes her off message, but she was clearly very extensively prepared to debate someone who would aim to speak out of turn. A lot of the time she continued her response as if his mouth was still shut.

True however I did find it hard to concentrate when she was speaking because of his interruptions. She dealt it with it well and looks classy in comparison to Trump.

Trump was on the defensive in comparison to the Republican debate. It was also notable how he seemed to struggle in the middle section, he doesn't seem to have the concentration to keep going!

K-9 wrote: »
    Trump was very strong, better than
    I expected.

Good on trade and the tired politician line.

Overall, started well, weakened towards the middle and I'd say Hillary won the end.

Trump was treated very fairly, the mainstream media stuff might go against him, he was trying to appear the victim.

Hillary strong on race and him paying no tax, as far as we know.

Lots of stuff for Hillary to work on. Trump said guns need to be taken away from people, Hillary should have been straight on top of that. NRA folks would go ballistic! on that.

Trump was poor on race despite his best efforts.

Hillary excellent on Muslims and foreign policy.

Hillary needs to be more positive.

How come John Kerry doesn't come in near for the same criticism as Hillary on foreign policy stuff?

You saw what I saw.

Kerry gets a free ride as a lot of the damage was done under Hillary before Kerry took over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Trump will win narrowly
    One important thing to note, was that Hilly looked very shifty not once did her eyes hold direct focus for longer than 2 seconds.

He also said it's bad that companies are not paying enough taxes in the US but he is smart because he pays no federal tax. Surprised it wasn't brought up in the debate. Anyone know who is moderating the next debate?

Even CNN agrees with what I said.

It's almost as if they're trying to drum up interest for the next debate (which they coincidentally host) as reporting that Trump got walked on would not exactly help ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

How any rational human being could vote for that buffoon of a man really blows my mind.
    All he talked about how great his business is and how successful he is, how he turned that "small loan" into billions, yea like that's a reality for us regular citizens.
    The waffle and meandering from him was crazy.
    Hillary is by no means perfect but come on America, stop this madness already

He also said it's bad that companies are not paying enough taxes in the US but he is smart because he pays no federal tax. Surprised it wasn't brought up in the debate. Anyone know who is moderating the next debate?

Anderson Cooper, so it should be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Trump keeps congratulating himself in post debate interviews with CNN and FOX that he didnt talk about "Bills indiscretions" in the same breath as he mention "Bills indiscretions" and follows up with saying maybe he will say it at the next debate. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

One important thing to note, was that Hilly looked very shifty not once did her eyes hold direct focus for longer than 2 seconds.

Noticed that myself.

She looked to be consulting notes to me.

Something she'll need to work om.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Jake Tapper on CNN and one of their other news guys just said Trump started stronger too.

You can say Trump started stronger, one can be so biased that the bias is bordering on blind hate.
    I can say Trump started stronger before Clinton took over and say what I and others saw.

He didn't start stronger though. She got under his skin straight away. He interrupted her more in the first 10 minutes than either Romney or Obama interrupted each other in the whole of their first debate 4 years ago. I think he was okay for a while in the middle of the debate when he brought up her emails. But he was a complete trainwreck for the rest of the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

richy wrote: »
    Trump keeps congratulating himself in post debate interviews with CNN and FOX that he didnt talk about "Bills indiscretions" in the same breath as he mention "Bills indiscretions" and follows up with saying maybe he will say it at the next debate. Hilarious.

Prioritising attention over legitimacy there.

Lord only knows what he's gonna do with himself when all of this is over.

K-9 wrote: »
    Noticed that myself.

She looked to be consulting notes to me.

Something she'll need to work om.

i have to wonder how often i would stare in the same direction for longer than 2 seconds naturally, in fairness

• Advertisement
Advertisement