Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trump vs. Hillary - the 1st Debate. Live on C4, Sky and BBC News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's almost as if they're trying to drum up interest for the next debate (which they coincidentally host) as reporting that Trump got walked on would not exactly help ratings.

Trump started very strong on trade.

He was correct when he said there is a stock market bubble supported by the fed who are keeping interest rates low.

Trump was correct about all the companies not bringing their money back to the US because of US tax rates.
    The whole Apple tax case is Ireland arguing that the tax is not ours but the US and Apple will eventually bring that money home to be taxed.
    Because it has not been taxed and is associated with Ireland, the EU argue we should be taking the tax.
    That is because Trump is correct on US companies holding their money abroad.
    It is even causing problems for Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He didn't start stronger though. She got under his skin straight away. He interrupted her more in the first 10 minutes than either Romney or Obama interrupted each other in the whole of their first debate 4 years ago. I think he was okay for a while in the middle of the debate when he brought up her emails. But he was a complete trainwreck for the rest of the debate.

He got enough of his strong points in at the start, and Hillary was talking policy.

I thought Trump was running away with it at the start and I was a bit worried for her tbh!

She scored a few points on him paying no tax and the 1973 no blacks case to come of the ropes!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Obama supporter on CNN said Trump started very strong, then went awry.

He also a lot of people would have watched about the first half hour of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Prioritising attention over legitimacy there.

Lord only knows what he's gonna do with himself when all of this is over.

He'll just have to console himself with his beautiful wife and his billions (???) of dollars.

Clinton played a smart game, it would have been easy to get ruffled at how trump was using up extra time, taking corrections as opportunities for more speech, but she actually just left him at it because the more he spoke the nore trouble he got himself into. She probably was happy to let him at it. Like...she didn't even have to mention Rosie o Donnell, the man bright up himself.

And then the guy who built his whole campaign on childish insults had the balls/stupidity to whine about he being mean to him in campaign ads.

He could have slammed her on TPP or Benghazi but he was tripping over himself and his ludicrous claim to have opposed Iraq. It's like he never expected be asked about his revisionism. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

K-9 wrote: »
    He got enough of his strong points in at the start, and Hillary was talking policy.

I thought Trump was running away with it at the start and I was a bit worried for her tbh!

She scored a few points on him paying no tax and the 1973 no blacks case to come of the ropes!

Me too. As a die hard anyone but Trump supporter, I was scared at the start. Was seeing nuclear Armageddon in the worlds future but in the end it was a comprehensive victory for her. A couple of big burns and mic drops by her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Trump will win narrowly
    Noticed that myself.
    She looked to be consulting notes to me.
    Something she'll need to work om.

Her eyes war far too random for it to be note reading, one possibility is that it is health, and blood flow related. Lucky there was no walking about during those 90mins.

Sure you wouldn't buy a used Toyota Corolla off someone like that, no matter what the price or and how reliable it was.

DUBACC wrote: »
    Trump reminds me of a guy down the pub ranting about the 'gubbernment'

Yep, but it works!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Trump will win big
    RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump saying what I have been saying, Clinton's experience has been bad experience.

Well you know, who would you trust in 30 years in politics, or someone who has no experience in politics whatsoever.

To rake up the muck from a lifetime of service , which in that length of time is really trivial I must say, don't you think HC is at a severe disadvantage. ie Trump has no political history to scrutinise whatsoever.
    One important thing to note, was that Hilly looked very shifty not once did her eyes hold direct focus for longer than 2 seconds.

There is the shifty politician argument again. Because she had some notes. Ha.
    It's almost as if they're trying to drum up interest for the next debate (which they coincidentally host) as reporting that Trump got walked on would not exactly help ratings.

I don't think CNN need to drum up interest for their own channel. Not in respect of presidential debates anyway.

Hillary avoided the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah he was woeful responding to the charge of racial discrimination..."we settled with no admission of guilt". Has he any idea how bad that sounded?? He had her on her flip flop over TPP but he really doesn't know exactly what his country policy is so it died on the vine.

Oh, i loved his final answer about respecting the result, it was such disingenuous dog whistle stuff.

Did Trump just inadvertently call for gun control?

He did, problem was Hillary didn't spot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Hillary will win narrowly
    Hillary avoided the media.

And Trump avoided giving straight answers all night. What's your point?

learn_more wrote: »
    Well you know, who would you trust in 30 years in politics, or someone who has no experience in politics whatsoever.

To rake up the muck from a lifetime of service , which in that length of time is really trivial I must say, don't you think HC is at a severe disadvantage. ie Trump has no political history to scrutinise whatsoever.

I still believe Clinton means war based on her history.

Trump said after the debate to the media, about the money wasted on the Iraq war.

Trump will win narrowly
    learn_more wrote: »
    There is the shifty politician argument again. Because she had some notes. Ha.

Those notes must have been on the roof and every other angle within a 160o view span, with millisecond read times.

What about pressure on the sixth cranial nerve at the base of her brain, explaining slight lateral rectus palsy or lack of steady focus.

And Trump avoided giving straight answers all night. What's your point?

Hillary was winning before the debate even started is your argument.

I was just saying what happened after the debate, you are so defensive about Hillary, and seriously biased.

You still won't accept Trump started strongly before Clinton took over the debate.

• Advertisement

Hillary was winning before the debate even started is your argument.

I was just saying what happened after the debate, you are so defensive about Hillary, and seriously biased.

You still won't accept Trump started strongly before Clinton took over the debate.

As someone on Reddit put it, I understand basic economics. Therefore all his bluster on trade deals sounded like incoherent rubbish to me.

I knew Clinton was going to win before the debate began because she is a talented politician and Trump is a petulant manchild. All but the most biased observers knew Clinton was going to win tonight.

CNN's focus group of 20 undecided Florida voters found that 18 thought Clinton won the debate. Their poll found that 62% of people watching thought Clinton won although their audience featured a much larger sample of Democrats than the general electorate.

CNN poll on debate. They say it is Clinton biased based on the voters being more democratic leaning.

Clinton 62%
    Trump 27%.

Trump will win narrowly
    Am looking to post a couple of books across the pond, will they get there well before Nov 8th?

51fLEMuc4NL._AC_UL320_SR240,320_.jpg510subx2lLL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg

richy wrote: »
    Me too. As a die hard anyone but Trump supporter, I was scared at the start. Was seeing nuclear Armageddon in the worlds future but in the end it was a comprehensive victory for her. A couple of big burns and mic drops by her.

I'd say there is enough there to call it a draw.

Hillary definitely got stronger as it went om.

Sound bites? Both scored. Maybe Hillary more as the public aren't aware of some of his business stuff.

He can score on the macro, jobs gone level, she can score on the you put honest, hard working people out of business line.

• Advertisement

As someone on Reddit put it, I understand basic economics. Therefore all his bluster on trade deals sounded like incoherent rubbish to me.

I knew Clinton was going to win before the debate began because she is a talented politician and Trump is a petulant manchild. All but the most biased observers knew Clinton was going to win tonight.

So why are US companies not bringing their money back to the US?
    Trump says it is because of the high tax rate, what does your basic understanding of economics say?

Trump started stronger than Clinton is what most are saying, and it was on trade.
    Trade is what is getting Trump the support, it was getting Sanders the support too.

CNN's focus group of 20 undecided Florida voters found that 18 thought Clinton won the debate. Their poll found that 62% of people watching thought Clinton won although their audience featured a much larger sample of Democrats than the general electorate.

Seem a pointless poll then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was enjoyable.

Watched it with my housemate and we both enjoyed the slow destruction of Trump. The man isn't fit enough to run a bath never mind the U.S.A.

No fan of Clinton either before anyone thinks that, but I would trust her 9/10 over Trump. His name shouldn't be anywhere on that ballot paper.

The democratically biased CNN poll
    Who would handle the economy better
    Clinton 51%
    Trump 47%

Foreign policy
    Clinton 62%
    Trump 35%

That is not bad for Trump.

It is not fceking great either!

He's strong on the econony, Hillary is considered safe on foreign policy.

They don't trust Trump on foreign policy.

Saw on twitter.

Who won? CNN poll of undecided voters:
    Clinton: 90%
    Trump: 10%

Ouchy!

It is not fceking great either!

He's strong on the econony, Hillary is considered safe on foreign policy.

They don't trust Trump on foreign policy.

Lets say you take a three to five points off Hillary and give them to Trump based on the poll being a slightly biased poll towards Democrats.
    In reality it is a bit closer
    CNN said Trump's claim is false that Stop and Frisk worked.
    CNN say Trump's claim was fact which Hillary denied about her saying TPP was the gold standard and that she flip flopped on it.

Lets say you take a three to five points off Hillary and give them to Trump based on the poll being a slightly biased poll towards Democrats.
    In reality it is a bit closer
    CNN said Trump's claim is false that Stop and Frisk worked.
    CNN say Trump's claim was fact which Hillary denied about her saying TPP was the gold standard and that she flip flopped on it.

Sorry, Trump didn't win or do well in any version of reality in this debate. He bombed.

Time magazine poll on who won.
    Over 500k voted.

Trump 60%
    Clinton 40%

http://time.com/4506217/presidential-debate-clinton-trump-survey/

Stop and frisk, it'll go down on party lines, not a vote winner for me. It's way more nuanced.

TPP, yep Hillary's weak point.

Hillary can point to people Trump didn't pay on building projects. Hints at moral weakness and greed and avarice.

The guy Trump didn't pay will be the new Joe the plumber!

• Advertisement

Over 500k voted.

Trump 60%
    Clinton 40%

Time would tend to be left leaning.

We'll see!

Stop and frisk, it'll go down on party lines, not a vote winner for me. It's way more nuanced.

TPP, yep Hillary's weak point.

Hillary can point to people Trump didn't pay on building projects. Hints at moral weakness and greed and avarice.

The guy Trump didn't pay will be the new Joe the plumber!

Zero tolerance would be better than stop and frisk and would not have racist perceptions whether stop and frisk would be racist. I mean most people will think it will be the people of colour who will be stopped and frisked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump cries foul: 'they gave me a defective microphone'

What??!

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/09/27/donald-trump-claims-lost-debate-mic.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Bookies odds have shortened on Clinton. Mexican peso is up. Take from that what you will.

I'm pretty biased towards Clinton and see her as a vastly superior candidate. Trump is a horrible candidate and person. Clinton is obviously better but I don't understand the American electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The GOP playbook has been to drag her name through the dirt any given opportunity. This has been going on at least since Libya, and longer than that. But Benghazi have them their most politically supported ammo on her in years. It was always known she would make a run in 2016, after Obama, and it was no accident that they have worked desperately to poison her chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

bleg wrote: »
    Bookies odds have shortened on Clinton. Mexican peso is up. Take from that what you will.

I'm pretty biased towards Clinton and see her as a vastly superior candidate. Trump is a horrible candidate and person. Clinton is obviously better but I don't understand the American electorate.

Clinton isn't 'obviously' better. That's the issue. Both are poor candidates for president but everyone is focusing on the negative aspects of Trump which have been sensationalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Over 500k voted.

Trump 60%
    Clinton 40%

Internet vote, so its pretty meaningless

On the flip side CNN votes tend to be democrat leaning

I was checking Fox (cringe) and aide from the usual pro-conservative rhetoric, it seems the majority of pundit views suggest a weaker performance by Trump than they expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

glued wrote: »
    Clinton isn't 'obviously' better. That's the issue. Both are poor candidates for president but everyone is focusing on the negative aspects of Trump which have been sensationalised.

I disagree. He's the most corrupt and unfit for office candidate for POTUS in living memory. His dodgy dealings haven't been getting enough air time and a false equivalence is being created between his and Clinton's controversies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Her eyes war far too random for it to be note reading, one possibility is that it is health, and blood flow related. Lucky there was no walking about during those 90mins.

Sure you wouldn't buy a used Toyota Corolla off someone like that, no matter what the price or and how reliable it was.

Sorry, but we know who was ill last night as it was Trump. All that sniffling. Probably a sign of something serious. Who knows what? But something serious. I'll tell you something, it's bad. It's bad bad bad. It's serious. He is a very sick man. We all saw it last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

South Park called it , it's a Douche vs a Turd Sandwich ... both odious in their own way , full of false promise and empty ideas.

The reality is if Hillary wins , who ever's bank rolling her or the Clinton foundation will call the shots , If Trump wins his ego will be satisfied and he'l get bored and go back to golfing pretty quick.

Either way America will continue to grow its national debt and one of the most divided society will become even more divided , it was hard to to tell who "won" that debate , both were wholly uninspiring and it was realistically just a mud slinging contest. The only definite outcome for me was how glaringly obvious it was that which ever of thees two win the american people have lost for at least the next 4 years.

Got up to watch this one , wont bother with the next two lost all interest in thees two at this point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's fun y by the way how Trump fans were in a silent dismay during the actual debate itself, yet after they're trying to unify around some cartoonist's weak talking points. Clearly they went to their masters, hoping to be told what to think and say as they were struggling very, very badly go do so from around 2am - 3.45am last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Trump will win big
    Hillary was poor but was still ahead of Trump. She basically sat back and let him ramble on and luckily for her, all he had was nonsense.

Angry, excitable, talking incessantly and a dripping nose? Hmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

glued wrote: »

How have they been sensationalised? He's about the most unfit person for that office that I can imagine. Corrupt, bigoted and racist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I recorded the debate last night, watching it now. Donald Trump reminds me of a grumpy old man you'd meet in a pub. He has the broad strokes of how to debate and a rough understanding of the issues, but ultimately he comes off as poorly prepared and lacking in knowledge.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    How have they been sensationalised? He's about the most unfit person for that office that I can imagine. Corrupt, bigoted and racist.

I'm still really not sure he is bigoted or racist , he has dated a number of women of different nationality's and colors , his company's employ people of all race and he has Jewish grandchildren.

He has issues with illegal immigration from Latin america via the southern border but then again having lived in Texas on my J1 this is a common feeling there where this immigration has a massively negative impact particularly on unskilled workers ( no minimum wage so illegal immigrant can sell there labor far cheaper to employers willing to take the risk). Illeagls do bring a huge amount of crime and drugs to theese community's tooo , that's not racist that's just a fact.He dosn't articulate this point well , but then neither do most of the people he is looking for votes from.

The ban on Islamic immigration he's spoken about (again not articulated well) could well be the right idea , it is certainly preferable to situations like the jungle in Calais or the tension islamic immigration is causing in France , Germany , Sweeden and the UK at present or Sadique Kahs view that islamic terrorism is now just a fact of life in big urban centers, i don't accept that view either.

Both candidates have huge grey areas when it comes to women's and gay rights , Clinton talks a good game but is still an alli of Saudi Arabia , not quite the most progressive place in terms of gender and sexual equality given you can still face public execution for homosexuality and being a rape victim, domestically she has also publicly derided a number of women who have made claims of sexual harassment against old bill. Trump agin has a number of Gay friends etc elton John among them but he has a huge respect for Putin who again is not the most progressive on LGBT rights.

To write Trump off as just a Racist Bigott is wrong and comes accross as a vey one dimensioal simplisic view , hes an egomaniac and a bad candidate but i think the word's racisit and bigott are thrown about to easily thees days , they've somewhat lost their meaning. Also Obama as the first colored president has overseen a growing racial devide in America not seen since the 1960's , not a racist but definitely part of the problem and not the solution.

As i said in a previous post neither of thees two candidates are the solution to anything either , Hillary hasnt the best track record and is more of the same (that's not working) and Trump is an absolute wild card wholly unfit to be president

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,244 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No fan of either candidate and don't believe it matters a jot to us in Europe who is in the White House, but Clinton wiped the floor with Thrump overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Trump is lucky there is such a strong anti-pc, anti-establishment, anti-illegal-immigration sentiment, more than there ever has been. And there are a lot of legitimate concerns from the people who will vote for him that i agree with (not things trumps says but reasons people have hitched to his wagon), but he's just not the guy. Under no circumstances is he the guy.

I think that sentiment will remain and get stronger with Hillary elected. The republicans just need a serviceable candidate who can latch on to the above sentiment and she'll be gone after one term. She will probably be the least popular president from day one that I can think of. The only question is can the republicans suppress their appetite for a bible-thumping slimeball (ala ted cruz).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

When I watched it last night I thought Clinton won easily.
    Trump tried to convince that he would bring back all the jobs lost abroad. He ended with an own goal Clinton did not look the part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Clinton or Trump ???

Talk about being caught between a Rock and a High Wall ....

Trump has won most online polls.
    This is an indication of whose supporters are more fired up, and clearly Trump has the most passionate support which makes them more likely to vote in the election that counts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement