Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into law from an unrelated degree

Options
  • 26-09-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm in my final year of a science degree in zoology in Trinity College, Dublin, and I've known for a very long time that this is definitely not what I want to pursue a career in. I tried transferring into law in second year but was told that I didn't have enough points in my Leaving Cert to do so (I was only about five or ten short, and actually would have got it had I tried to transfer this year). I was told at the time that the best thing I could do was to finish the science degree and go straight into FE-1s when that was finished. I'm concerned that no one will be willing to take me on as a trainee with a science degree instead of a law degree, even if my grades are good (I've been averaging at a 2:1 throughout my time in college, and as I am planning on practically moving into the library this year, I'm hoping to bump that up to a first overall).

I've noticed that a lot of places offer diplomas in law to people with a degree that isn't law, and I'm interested to know if any of these are worth the cost? Am I better off looking into an llm course? Or is my best bet to dive into FE-1s and hope for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TCD Careers Advisory Service

Hi Nessa

Why don't you pop along to the TCD Law Fair in Trinity on Tuesday, 4th October from 8.30 - 10.30am in the Dining Hall. 27 employers all in the one place - ask your question to the people who offer the jobs!

(Check your TCD email a/c for emails from us about our events)

see our website for list of attendees - www dot tcd dot ie / careers / events /

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

TCD Careers Advisory Service, as you are posting on behalf of an institution I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

Advertisement