Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim only - advice please

Options
  • 26-09-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hey
    My niece is coming over for a month from Denmark and she's asked me to pick up a sim for her phone - I presume I can go into any phone shop and get one? She'll be calling and texting Dk a lot so I guess there's one that are better set-up for that?
    Is there better value to getting phone and sim and keeping the phone myself?
    I've been bill pay contract all my life so I'm really at a knowledge loss here, all advice appreciated.
    D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it's a month, then Tescomobile (free with €15 topup) or Lycamobile(free online) are the recommendations.
    Ask her if her phone is unlocked to take another network's sim first.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Thanks! I'll check with her

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi

Very important that her phone is unlocked.

If she is using it for calling Denmark - How much will she save compared to using her own sim
    (I might be wrong here - but I thought the savings would be made on a) Data (Facebook, emails etc) b) making local calls (in Ireland)

The Lycamobile international plan looks very good value (but I have no experience of them (€10 for 300 min & 3 GB of data)

See some links for costs / offers involved
    https://www.meteor.ie/plans/international_call_rates/.

Phone for yourself: Well do you need a phone? If you need to update your current model - It might be an option. But to get anything half decent you will be spending €120 plus and you will be locked to a network unless you buy a HTC phone or get an unlocking code.

Post up what you go with and how it works out - for the benefit of others

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle?id=NT

Brother confirmed phone is unlocked, but thanks for the warning
    You're probably right on the data, she's 15 so I guess its gonna be high usage rather than ringing home

update;
    We ending up going into Carphone Warehouse and got a 3 sim. €22 including €20 in credit, free calls and text and a good load of data. Its set-up for just 30 days but can be reactivated when my niece comes back over at Christmas etc.
    She's happy so all is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi

3 seems to be good on the data (both my kids (20 something's) use 3 pay as you go for their data plan).

I think when you top-up by €20 you get 30 days of all you can use data (subject to fair usage)

Best of luck

Advertisement